Moderator: JaneB

November 27th, 2008, 6:16 pm #11

Well, that is an intriguing titbit you have unearthed there, H - Underworld, AITU, malevolent spirits - spooky or what?

"Why do spirits haunt me in the day and in the night?"

(though that is admittedly from a different album).

And now you have got me wondering what life is like on the Nude Islands. They had better not have a climate like Berlin, that's for sure.

;)

C's M
1000 posts
1000 posts
C's M
1000 posts
1000 posts

November 27th, 2008, 6:17 pm #12

Oops, Internet crashed, and must have logged me out.

Hogfysshe
Choose your own title - contact Bid
Hogfysshe

November 27th, 2008, 7:33 pm #13

Tomiboo wrote
wrote:Even though I've mentioned the "theme of the album" a couple of times already, I'm actually not even sure what the theme really is. After the very first song I was expecting the rest of the album to follow some sort of a pirate theme, but then came the wolves and demons and the strange avian creatures and much more. So currently I'm imagining "the Underworld" to be some enchanting but dark place with all sorts of strange creatures... it actually reminds me a bit of tales of Edgar Allan Poe or H.P.Lovecraft, which is exciting of course! The lyrics seem to be even more poetic (and difficult) than on Gatekeeper, so I think I need to really concentrate on the lyrics next time and read them from the booklet while listening. I also think that I need to get some of the other SW albums before I can fully understand the story behind the songs... if that's even possible!
a pretty good reaction. Since the Captain admits not completely understanding some of his own lyrics, your assessment fits the fiendish "plan."

Tomiboo wrote
wrote:11. Diary Of An Edwardian Beetroot
As a song this one's not particularly memorable, but I suppose that it's still a very good ending track for the album.
El Roacho helped me recognize that this is perhaps two things. The full title is "Diary Of An Edwardian Beetroot (Day Three: Mousseron Steam Fair)" and it does seem to be two pieces. The final minute-and-ten-seconds stands nicely on it's own and is semi-antiqued carnival theme. That is preceded by the final aitu lyrics
My mother said that I shouldn't acquaint
The squirrels of Mousseron Wood with a saint
They'll trip up his donkey and drown it in seeds
And then they will drink all his mead

which is a conclusion to the character studies of the song, the song as a whole offering perhaps ...important travel advice? and insight on the scene.
So, it is a double or triple conclusion, or more...the music, lyrics, and all together.
and maybe there's a review within the song
...I'll...play
a Feathered Fandango
Piping in cacophonus keys
And dissonant breves

Falhawk
Diabolic Silhouette
Diabolic Silhouette
Falhawk
Diabolic Silhouette
Diabolic Silhouette

November 27th, 2008, 8:36 pm #14

Hogfysshe wrote:
My mother said that I shouldn't acquaint
The squirrels of Mousseron Wood with a saint
They'll trip up his donkey and drown it in seeds
And then they will drink all his mead
I just relistened to Beetroot (I'd not heard it for a long while for some reason, shame on me).

The lyrics are a work of genius.

"My mother said that I never should
Play with the rabbits of Mousseron Wood
They'll cut off your trousers then bounce on your shoes
and then they will sing you the blues"

Lovely!

bid
bid

November 27th, 2008, 8:56 pm #15

Well, the last track on Strange Letters had the ship sailing off from Mousseron...at least some of Blue Flowers was either set on the ship or on the island, which was, er, possibly (^_^ ) off the coast of Venezuela (hey, Curacao, I just realised)...the last track, Fragment Of A Parchment, on Blue Flowers had Lord Fishgarlic (for it was he) entering an Underworld of sorts.

Some of the songs (not all, as in BF) on AITU represent a return to Mousseron from this island- some of the crew via the Underworld, and the (empty, but sentient) ship by sea. The last song, Beetroot, is just a relaxing return from a foreign madness to a devil they know.

Actually, the rest of the crew return in Dream Spider, in the song Big Dipper, by walking back on the ocean bed.

C's M
1000 posts
1000 posts
C's M
1000 posts
1000 posts

November 27th, 2008, 10:57 pm #16

Does anyone know if they do a Coles Notes for each of the albums? If so, I could really use the whole set.

:blink: B)

bid
bid

November 27th, 2008, 11:32 pm #17

M's M wrote:Does anyone know if they do a Coles Notes for each of the albums?  If so, I could really use the whole set.

:blink:  B)
Hey, gringo lady!

You no understand my crazy?

November 27th, 2008, 11:45 pm #18

bid wrote: Hey, gringo lady!

You no understand my crazy?
You Caracas?

Forget the Coles Notes then - "potted potty" is not much good to me...

C's M
1000 posts
1000 posts
C's M
1000 posts
1000 posts

November 27th, 2008, 11:50 pm #19

Nunca más!

THE LOVE ZOMBIE
Macaw Mucker
Macaw Mucker
THE LOVE ZOMBIE
Macaw Mucker
Macaw Mucker

November 28th, 2008, 4:18 am #20

Mi queridito M's M,
Que hora es? Tiempo cortar el nudo gordiano!
beunos noches,
El Zombie Amor
x