Moderator: JaneB

A must-hear for all Monochrome Set fans!

TKA
Bilge Pumper
Bilge Pumper
TKA
Bilge Pumper
Bilge Pumper

December 30th, 2008, 8:52 pm #1

Hello, everyone! Tim from Columbus, Ohio finally making his first post here, and it's mainly just to say hi to everybody and to let you know that I've had my own FM radio show here for the past three months, it's called "Yesterday's Top Secrets", we're finally going to be able to stream on the Web this Thursday, and our two featured artists starting that night and for the next five weeks thereafter are going to be The Mamas and the Papas and The Monochrome Set! The station's website is at wcrsfm.org, just go to its home page and click what's going to say "Listen Live" or something like that, and brace yourself. The hour-long show begins at 8 pm Eastern Standard Time, new ones air on Thursday and Friday night, and previous ones are rebroadcast on Monday and Tuesday nights, same time slot. Past featured artists on the show have included The Beatles and Buzzcocks, The Rolling Stones and The Ramones, Steely Dan and The Smiths, Sly and the Family Stone and the Sex Pistols, and The Beach Boys and Big Dipper. The first three pairs had a three-week run in the spotlight, and the other two ruled the world for two. A five-week reign as kings of the heap will therefore be unprecedented and quite record-setting, and the primary reason for it, besides The Monochrome Set being so incredible of course, is that I was able to find a total of twenty different MS songs that match up perfectly with twenty different Mamas and Papas tunes, believe it or not. Featured artists get played twice each show instead of once, so with twenty song combinations between them, at the rate of two played a night, that means there's going to be a full ten shows/five weeks' worth of Monochrome and Mama and Papa mayhem. Actually, I came up with twenty-one song pairings and sadly, one had to be culled; it was one of the most difficult decisions that I've ever had to make in my life. The shows are going to be unreal, though not half as good as the Unreal Scarlet's Well that I saw at Bernie's Bagels a few years back.
Bid, Dr. Sticky, Hogfysshe, I trust that all is well with all of you, I've never posted here before because I wanted to wait until I had something fun to post about, and now I think I do. The show always begins with the first eight seconds of The Beatles' "Revolution", but then instead of John Lennon singing it's me saying "You say you want a revolution? Well, it all starts right here right now -- revolutionary music on revolutionary radio. Songs from the Sixties, and later music that was inspired by the fun and the freedom of the Sixties. Oldies that aren't old, because they haven't been played to death on all the other stations, and alternative music that was simply a pleasant alternative to all of the disco that surrounded it when it first came out. 'Yesterday's Top Secrets' on WCRS, featuring not the best-known songs of the '60s, '70s, and '80s, but rather some of the best."

Hogfysshe
Choose your own title - contact Bid
Hogfysshe

December 30th, 2008, 11:26 pm #2

Hey Tim, good going with the new show. Will be sure to tune in.

bid
bid

December 31st, 2008, 12:37 pm #3

Tim!

Very pleased to see you on here, and I'll tune in and listen.

Hope all is well...!

THE LOVE ZOMBIE
Macaw Mucker
Macaw Mucker
THE LOVE ZOMBIE
Macaw Mucker
Macaw Mucker

January 1st, 2009, 4:31 pm #4

TKA wrote: Hello, everyone! Tim from Columbus, Ohio finally making his first post here, . 'Yesterday's Top Secrets' on WCRS, featuring not the best-known songs of the '60s, '70s, and '80s, but rather some of the best."

Hogfysshe
Hogfysshe

January 1st, 2009, 4:54 pm #5

funny. The other day, clicked on wcrsfm.org > "listen" and found "Reception inside homes is poorer in low-lying areas such as the Scioto and Olentangy River valleys (within ½ mile east and west of each river), although, from my car, I get 98.3 perfectly fine all along 315 up to north I-270." Nothing about streaming.

Re "Low-end table radio or clock radio with analog tuning dial," they also commented "The lowest quality of these radios may not be able to receive 98.3 at all and may only get 102.1 within 3 or 4 miles of the tower. These radios also use the AC power cord for the antenna. For reception of 98.3 FM, first tune in WNCI at 97.9; then move the dial very slightly to the right just until WNCI starts to fade. Then move the AC power cord around until you (hopefully!) hear WCRS (then tape the cord in that position)." :unsure: :( :o :lol:

But that was 2008. Today, Tim (and colleagues) take over the earth! :o :huh: :mellow: :( :wacko: :)
Home page has several options for listening to their longer-distance output.

THE LOVE ZOMBIE
Macaw Mucker
Macaw Mucker
THE LOVE ZOMBIE
Macaw Mucker
Macaw Mucker

January 1st, 2009, 5:19 pm #6

Dear Tim,
Welcome on board. Am loving your station's mission statement, and am looking forward to catching your show tonight (Thursday/ Friday...must check the time difference,so I don't miss the first airing or repeat). I too love the complete works of T.M.S. They are my favourite band of all time, in respect of songwriting and musicianship ; and fortunately for me, Scarlet's Well are now following in a similar vein.
Changing the subject completely,as I am prone to do, had to dig out my 'USA LONELY PLANET' guide book to find your whereabouts in Ohio. They describe as follows.....Columbus is, well, it's nice. Though not much of a looker or splashy personality wise, the state capital is affable, kind of like a blind date your Mom arranges. It is however, that rare big city that's easy on the wallet, perhaps from the influence of Ohio State University's 60,000 students.... I quite like the sound of The German Village they go on to write about.
Anyway, best of luck with your broadcasts, and don't be shy with your posts about any other such inspired musical pairings you've got in the pipeline.
Speak to you anon.
Yours sincerely,

Warren

TKA
Bilge Pumper
Bilge Pumper
TKA
Bilge Pumper
Bilge Pumper

January 1st, 2009, 7:08 pm #7

Thanks for the kind words, guys, and just to make it clear, there's two new shows each week, and they generally don't get repeated right away. The Thursday one is completely different from the one that airs the following night, and then on Mondays and Tuesdays the folks at 'CRS usually pick much older "Secrets" at random for rebroadcast. I'd prefer that they simply repeat Thursday on the next Monday, and then Friday on the next Tuesday, but they seem to enjoy rummaging through the old treasure chest (garbage can-Ed.) instead.

Never mind that editor up there; he was always popping up in my fanzine, The Offense, just to make me look bad, and twenty years later I guess I still haven't shaken him.

Hogfysshe
Hogfysshe

January 1st, 2009, 7:26 pm #8

TLZ wrote
wrote:...your whereabouts in Ohio. They describe as follows.....Columbus is, well, it's nice. Though not much of a looker or splashy personality wise, the state capital is affable, kind of like a blind date your Mom arranges. It is however, that rare big city that's easy on the wallet, perhaps from the influence of Ohio State University's 60,000 students
photos from 04 feat. TKA, DR S, Bid, Unreals, others.
http://www.pbase.com/hogfish/scarletswell
Wish I had snapped that flaming dumpster after the Columbus show
("Mom" must not know Columbus very well).

TKA
Bilge Pumper
Bilge Pumper
TKA
Bilge Pumper
Bilge Pumper

January 1st, 2009, 8:19 pm #9

Couldn't you have PhotoShopped that third one and done something about the guy's hair on the right? And that fifth one sort of belies the joyful and festive atmosphere of the evening that I'm going to be talking/apparently lying about on "Secrets" tonight or tomorrow. Surely it was snapped between songs and not actually during one, correct???! I would put forward the proposition that the Toldeo audience was much, much deader than we were -- even though they perhaps outnumbered us in size by what, 4 to 1? 5 to 1? They definitely didn't have the wonderful dancers up there that we in Columbus had, regardless of what your photograph taken hours before the concert shows.

Hogfysshe
Hogfysshe

January 1st, 2009, 8:52 pm #10

wrote:...snapped between songs and not actually during one, correct???!
right after one of the fights