Shandy
Diabolic Silhouette
Diabolic Silhouette
Shandy
Diabolic Silhouette
Diabolic Silhouette

March 21st, 2010, 7:48 pm #11

Hi all
I really, really enjoyed the gig. It was great to see the band live at last! I'm only just back from London, and a bit knackered, so will post a full report once I've got my head round it. In the meantime here is a picture I took of Bid whilst he was held in rapt attention at my sparkling wit and conversation!

Watch this space for more pics and words

Cheers
Shandy

SeaUrchin
Choose your own title - contact Bid
SeaUrchin

March 21st, 2010, 11:24 pm #12

What a great shirt! Look forward to hearing how the man behind it performed at the Parliament!!
BidSML.jpg

bid
bid

March 21st, 2010, 11:58 pm #13

It was quite good; I hope someone got some pics.

We did 5 songs from the forthcoming album. They worked ok, though having so many new songs in the set inevitably gives it a strange feel. I think a lot of the new songs will make good live songs.

Les Clochards and Falling Leaves were both very good, as expected, and the latter played their whole set under film and slide projections, which took me back.

For me, special mention must go to Glassglue, who were amusingly bizarre. The frontman looked like an insane experimental physicist.

Jez
Jez

March 22nd, 2010, 8:39 am #14

Have to echo Shandy's comments - thought it was an excellent night.

Thought the crowd was bigger and slightly more appreciative than the last whilst due to time constraints The Captain only had time for 1 encore - left us all wanting more.

New songs sounded great and we even managed to squeeze a couple of bars of 'Alphaville' out of The Captain. Yey !!

A friend managed to film quite a few songs (plus a mini interview on the balcony)

Should be on YouTube soon.

bid
bid

March 22nd, 2010, 9:34 pm #15

Just made that pic of my bonce a bit smaller to save on file space...!...

C's M
1000 posts
1000 posts
C's M
1000 posts
1000 posts

March 22nd, 2010, 9:54 pm #16

How weird - moments before The Captain said that, I had written a post explaining that I had clicked on the picture of his shirt this morning and my pc locked up, and I got an error message saying I had performed an illegal operation. ;) I put it down to the fact that I am below ground level and surrounded by water.

And then the computer crashed again just as I was hitting "add reply", suggesting that it may be my dicky connection rather than Bid's big bonce after all. Or the eye catching stage wear for that matter.

Gig sounded great - thanks for the reports, chaps!

Shandy
Diabolic Silhouette
Diabolic Silhouette
Shandy
Diabolic Silhouette
Diabolic Silhouette

March 23rd, 2010, 6:26 pm #17

Well, what a night. Thanks to TZC we got to the gig on time.

This was my first time at a SW gig so, forgive me, but I would like to ramble on a little about the experience from a fan's point of view: I was priveliged enough to be able to sit-in on the sound check where I could meet the band. Lovely people. When I was introduced to Bid all I could manage was grinning like a starstruck loon and uttering absolutely nothing.

Now, due to me being a little overexcited, I didn't take notes! I'm relying on the song list left on stage after the set... The opener was Dream Spider of the Laughing Horse. After the gentle intro the band burst into the song with a real bounce. I couldn't help my feet.

I think there was about fourteen songs in all, including five new ones, which sounded well up to the usual high standard of lyric and tune. I can't wait to get my hands on the new album after this "sneak preview".

Songs that stick out in my memory were Mid-Morning Lily Songs, Piepentube and My Little Doll. But, really it was all good. The band were so tight - I thought it was a fantastic performance, but then this was my first SW gig - and I would say that anyway... After I got home Wife asked me if the band sounded as good live as they do on recordings. "Hell, yes" I said.

The audience seemed very appreciative - as Jez has already mentioned. I thought the venue was quite cosy - not too big and the stage was about six inches high - so it gave a good feeling of "being in the action". I'm guessing that the PA was the venue's: I think it was pushed a little too hard - and some slight distortion crept in - but that didn't stop me enjoying myself enormously.

All in all a fabulous night out and a great introduction to the live experience.

Here are some pictures

Swelly
Defrocked Priest
Defrocked Priest
Swelly
Defrocked Priest
Defrocked Priest

March 23rd, 2010, 11:39 pm #18

Thanks for the report, Shandy, and especially the big photos!
On what song was Helena playing guitar?

SeaUrchin
SeaUrchin

March 24th, 2010, 2:58 pm #19

Yes, I agree. Great report from Shandy and it was good to have photos as well. We usually do like to discuss band colour co-ordination as well as the music and you did this visually.

It does sound like a most enjoyable gig. Getting a bit envious now.

Swelly
Defrocked Priest
Defrocked Priest
Swelly
Defrocked Priest
Defrocked Priest

March 24th, 2010, 5:23 pm #20

And I just did learn from Shandy it was actually a mandolin Helena is playing on one of the pictures. Looks from that perspective a tad like the Bid's 12-stringer to me. :lol: