Sherlock Holmes Nemesis

Sherlock Holmes Nemesis

Pamela
Pamela

November 4th, 2008, 9:56 am #1

I have just installed this game and it looked fine until I clicked play, it won't launch, just says I need a component d3dx9_32.dll. I have tried Googling this and see that you can get a free download of this file. Is there a catch here? I was going to uninstall and reinstall, but there isn't an uninstall instruction. I really enjoyed The Awakened which played like a dream and I expected the same with this one. Can you help please?

November 11th, 2008, 5:57 pm #2

Hi Pamela,

I have seen this situation before. Are you using XP or Vista?  Does the error message indicate where this missing file is supposed to be?

Bill

http://www.mrbillsadventureland.com

Pamela
Pamela

November 11th, 2008, 6:40 pm #3

Thanks for your reply Mr Bill, I am using XP. You will see several references to this component d3dx9_32.dll on the internet, some offering a free download, others saying don't download it whatever you do. The screen message doesn't say where it should be.
So I'm stuck now in that I can't uninstall whatever has installed as there is no mechanism for doing so, even under Add/Remove Progams.
I have emailed Technical Support for this game but to date have had no reply. Other people on the Chat Board don't seem to have had any problem. So I'm well and truly stuck unless anyone has any bright ideas please!

Anonymous
Anonymous

November 21st, 2008, 5:08 pm #4

Hello Mr Bill/Mark/anyone else? - Have had a response from Tech Supp for this gamewho say that I should download the latest version of DirectX (Nov 08), altho I already have a fairly recent DirectX 9.0c on my computer. They have given me the link http://filehippo.com/download_directx/ to do it.

All other games I have played have updated the program automatically on installation of the game if necessary, so I can't understand this. I did start to do it, but it was obviously a huge download and I chickened out and cancelled it after a couple of minutes.

Now I really am stuck, can you possibly help please please please!

Anonymous
Anonymous

November 25th, 2008, 6:49 pm #5

Thanks for your reply Mr Bill, I am using XP. You will see several references to this component d3dx9_32.dll on the internet, some offering a free download, others saying don't download it whatever you do. The screen message doesn't say where it should be.
So I'm stuck now in that I can't uninstall whatever has installed as there is no mechanism for doing so, even under Add/Remove Progams.
I have emailed Technical Support for this game but to date have had no reply. Other people on the Chat Board don't seem to have had any problem. So I'm well and truly stuck unless anyone has any bright ideas please!
Have given this up as a bad job and sent it back to the supplier for a refund (hopefully). The site Tech Support gave me was for a full download of Direct X which I didn't need and didn't carry out.
So I'm now into the latest Nancy Drew Haunting of Castle Malloy (yes I know it's a children's game and I am a very grown up grown up, but I do play ND games in Senior Detective role!!!). I have all 18 or 19 of them and have never had a single problem with any of them. I have actually considered getting an old computer with Windows 95 and playing all my lovely old games, the new ones seem to need stuff I haven't got! Thanks to you and Mark for your responses anyway.

Pamela
Pamela

December 2nd, 2008, 11:53 pm #6

I'm not really anonymous, just forgot to add my name (senior moment!).

geott1
geott1

December 5th, 2008, 4:17 am #7

Pamela, I fear you have made the coreect decision. I ran the game on a rather old computer running Windows XP with directX 8. It ran with no problem at all. You may have a flawed disk.

Anonymous
Anonymous

December 11th, 2008, 11:27 pm #8

Thanks for your message, I got a full refund for the game as they were out of stock, but will definitely buy another disk later and try again. Happy Christmas all!!

Confirmation of reply: