Downloading patches

Downloading patches

Pamela
Pamela

March 9th, 2008, 10:46 pm #1

Hello Mr Bill -some time ago you displayed a step by step method of downloading game patches - do you still have this? Do you save the (zipped?) patch into the game folder, then right click and run it to unzip it? Would be grateful for your help (and will print it out this time!). I am hoping that a patch will help my Agatha Christie Evil under the Sun game to run properly. Many thanks.

March 10th, 2008, 3:22 am #2

Hi Pamela,

This patch file is zipped (&nbsp;<STRONG>Agatha Christie - Evil Under the Sun Patch.zip</STRONG> ),&nbsp; download it to a folder you create using Windows Explorer. Next unzip this file (extract it)&nbsp; to get an execute file (&nbsp;<STRONG>Agatha Christie - Evil Under the Sun Patch.exe</STRONG> ).&nbsp; Extract it into the same folder you downloaded the zipped patch file into.&nbsp; This patch file (&nbsp;<STRONG>Agatha Christie - Evil Under the Sun Patch.exe</STRONG> ) when double clicked will automatically find the game folder and update the files in the game.

<STRONG>If you need help with creating folders, etc, then read below.</STRONG>

<FONT face=Arial size=2>About 3 years ago I bought a copy of "Windows XP All-In-One Desk Reference for Dummies" since I&nbsp;was at that time fairly new to Windows XP. &nbsp;I bought it to see where Windows 98 and XP differ so I could give more assistance to folks like yourself, since the lessons&nbsp;that we developed were based on or from Windows 98. However the usage of Windows Explorer&nbsp;is very similar in both Windows Xp and Windows 98 and even if you were using Windows 98, my screenshots could look different from yours, so you will need to modify the appearance of your Windows Explorer as indicated below.</FONT>

<DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Thus,&nbsp;before you try these lessons, you need to make&nbsp;a few&nbsp;changes in the way Windows Explorer&nbsp;in XP looks (that is, its appearance) so it will more closely resemble my screenshots<FONT face=Arial size=2>. </FONT>You access Windows Explorer by clicking on Start, All Programs, Accessories, Windows Explorer.&nbsp;The changes you need to make are as follows:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 1. Rather than have all the folders and files use icons, choose <STRONG>list </STRONG>under <STRONG>View</STRONG>. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 2. Next you want to see the file names complete with their extensions. The file extension is the 3 or 4 letters and/or numbers after a decimal point that tells the computer what program this file is associated with. You also need to know what extension&nbsp;is associated with each program (like for example, <STRONG>.doc</STRONG> is a Word document),&nbsp;what extension does&nbsp;a particular game use for its saved games (like <STRONG>.006</STRONG> or maybe <STRONG>.s08)</STRONG>,&nbsp; what music file it is (like maybe <STRONG>.mp3</STRONG> or <STRONG>.wmv),</STRONG> and what kind of graphic file&nbsp;(for example <STRONG>.jpg</STRONG> or <STRONG>.bmp)</STRONG>.&nbsp;To&nbsp;be able to see all of this, you need to click on Tools, then Folder Options, then the View tab. Then uncheck the box marked <STRONG>Hide Extensions for Known File Types</STRONG>, then click on <STRONG>Apply to All Folders </STRONG>at the top of the box, then <STRONG>Yes</STRONG>, then click <STRONG>OK</STRONG>.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Your setup should look a lot more like my lessons now.&nbsp; See if this helps. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><FONT color=#ff0000 size=3>Here are our four lessons:</FONT> These are important for you to learn.</FONT><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><STRONG>How to Download, Store, Move & Unzip Stuff (files) from Email or the Internet (Like Saved Games, Patches, Walkthroughs or MP3s)</STRONG> </DIV>
<DIV>
[*]

Lesson 1: Creating a Place to Store My Download&nbsp;(like a saved game)

[*]
Lesson 2: Downloading It to a Storage Folder&nbsp;(like saved game from email to storage folder)

[*]
Lesson 3: Moving It to Where You Want to Use It&nbsp;(like saved game from storage folder into Black Mirror folder)

[*]
Lesson 4: What To Do If What I Download is Zipped&nbsp;(will apply to some other things later like patches, etc.)
</LI></DIV>
Cheers,

Bill<FONT face=Arial size=2>&nbsp;</FONT>
</FONT></DIV></FONT></DIV>
http://www.mrbillsadventureland.com
Last edited by Mr. Bill on March 10th, 2008, 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pamela
Pamela

March 10th, 2008, 10:22 pm #3

Thank you very much for all the info Mr Bill, which I have used and saved for future reference! However, downloading the patch into this game hasn't helped and I still get a "stutter" when I change scenes and sometimes a long wait. I have disabled virus programs and screen saver, disabled everything under game Options apart from sub text, reduced acceleration to Basic but it makes no difference. I think my computer matches requirements and have had no problems with other games played recently. I have emailed Adventure Company for support, but wonder if you can offer any advice please?

Pamela
Pamela

March 11th, 2008, 4:49 pm #4

Problem solved - when all else fails, turn off the computer!!! Don't ask me why, but it worked. Am now one happy bunny! Thanks for all the useful info Mr Bill.

Confirmation of reply: