Rendezvous Delano

DeProgrammer
Elite Pirate
DeProgrammer
Elite Pirate

June 28th, 2009, 3:05 am #1

I decided to only partially do a copy-and-paste this time!

Oh, how hard I have been working on this, my friends! I started Monday (6/22/09, 12:53 PM) and stayed up late every night trying to finish...something. I have completed much, but I lack the resources to do some things--certain graphics, sound effects, and especially music (the current music)... Anyway, what we have here is a nice demo that's just beginning to show how Metroidy a shoot-em-up can get. Power beam, missiles, wave beam, charge beam/missiles, energy tanks (currently not obtained, but they will be later), morph-ball ship, the ability to explore by choosing paths... There are some incomplete sprites in the current version, so don't mind how the space pirate ships (which were done by Kenji Imatake) say "TAILL" where there should be a tail. Also, I've recently added an option in the pause "menu" (I'll make all that stuff pretty later on) to check if there's a newer version than the one you're playing. Of course, it won't update itself, but at least then you'll know! And it's really quick and painless!

Things currently included:
Flying saucers, asteroids, space pirate enemies
Morph ball ship item + ability (it's a handy defensive maneuver)
Power beam, missile, wave beam, and seeker mine field weapons
Charge (beam/missile/mine) ability
Exploration (via Y junctions)
Weapon energy system
All sorts of things that nobody cares about but the programmer who's doing it
HUD with health, weapon energy, and charge amount bars
Health and weapon refills

Some of the things planned but not implemented:
Upgrade containers
Bosses (such as Sylux, possibly Ridley)
Actual graphics for several things
Nebula
Varia shield (to protect from nebula and partially resist energy weapons)
Music that isn't stolen
Multiple areas (with ability to revisit)
Map-thing (basically would just show which half of a junction has been visited)
Fancier animations (including for Samus's ship exploding, getting hit, charging two out of four weapons, and weapon explosions)
More sound effects (charging, charged shots, weapons hitting)
Difficulty settings
Some neat little background effects (ie. bosses subtly flying by in the distance)

http://dpmm.110mb.com/temp/RendezvousDelano.zip

Screenshots:

Last edited by DeProgrammer on June 28th, 2009, 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Signature by Rewrite.
My talent comes from deep within...like vomit!

Pomegranate
Prime Essence
Pomegranate
Prime Essence

June 28th, 2009, 7:55 am #2

wrote:
there's a giant gray cock in that picture xD

DeProgrammer
Elite Pirate
DeProgrammer
Elite Pirate

June 28th, 2009, 3:47 pm #3

Aarrrrgh. I make two topics on different forums, get only one reply within the whole first weekend day, and it's about a freakin' flat two-color blob somehow resembling genitalia. I'm sure you thought it was a Rorschach test, but I want a real response to my Nintendo DS game that I have been working hard on constantly every day for a week. I am so ticked off. :x
Last edited by DeProgrammer on June 28th, 2009, 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Signature by Rewrite.

Phlakes
Omega Pirate
Phlakes
Omega Pirate

June 28th, 2009, 4:16 pm #4

It WOULD be nice if we could play it...

But it looks good.

DeProgrammer
Elite Pirate
DeProgrammer
Elite Pirate

June 28th, 2009, 5:09 pm #5

There's a download link up there. You just gotta get a Nintendo DS emulator to play it on. I use iDeaS.

Signature by Rewrite.

Infinity's End
Metroid

June 28th, 2009, 6:05 pm #6

That actually looks really good so far. The graphics will need work, but for what you've done so far... Incredible.
I'll see what I can do for music.

Is there any format you need them in?
Any themes you want remade? (Kraid, Ridley, Magmoor Caverns etc...)

Birds fall from the window ledge above mine. Then they flap their wings at the last second. I can see
their dead weight just dropping like stones or small loaves of bread past my window all the time.
But unless I get up, walk across the room and peer down below, I don't see their last second curves
toward a horizontal flight. Now due to a construct in my mind that makes their falling and their flight
symbolic of my entire existence, it becomes important for me to get up and see their last second
curves toward flight. It's almost as if my life will fall unless I see their ascent.

DeProgrammer
Elite Pirate
DeProgrammer
Elite Pirate

June 28th, 2009, 7:13 pm #7

Thanks. I made all the graphics myself other than the asteroid and space pirates... >.> I thought I had to stay in the color limit with several things, such as the explosions, so that's why some of them look crappy. (Well, I do have to stay in the color limit, but it's 256 per palette, and I kept thinking 16 like GBA.)

Music has to be in MOD format. I couldn't stand the GUIs of the MOD-making programs I found...

I was kinda hoping for several of the classic themes to be... not remixed, really, but a whole new song made out of 'em with some allusion to the originals.

Also, it's video time! It took me possibly two hours to get VirtualDub to stop being crap for long enough to record this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63OUeKeFs3M
Last edited by DeProgrammer on June 28th, 2009, 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Signature by Rewrite.

Infinity's End
Metroid

June 28th, 2009, 7:30 pm #8

MOD? Like chiptunes? Hm... I'll see what I can do.
...and I though GBA was 32-bit...

Birds fall from the window ledge above mine. Then they flap their wings at the last second. I can see
their dead weight just dropping like stones or small loaves of bread past my window all the time.
But unless I get up, walk across the room and peer down below, I don't see their last second curves
toward a horizontal flight. Now due to a construct in my mind that makes their falling and their flight
symbolic of my entire existence, it becomes important for me to get up and see their last second
curves toward flight. It's almost as if my life will fall unless I see their ascent.

DeProgrammer
Elite Pirate
DeProgrammer
Elite Pirate

June 28th, 2009, 7:33 pm #9

MOD is basically MIDI that requires you to come up with your own samples.

GBA has a 32-bit CPU. Each palette is 16-color (in the usual mode), and I believe it can handle 32,678 simultaneous colors. DS coders tend to use up to sixteen 256-color palettes for sprites.

Signature by Rewrite.

Syntax Man
Omega Pirate
Syntax Man
Omega Pirate

June 29th, 2009, 2:25 am #10

...the DS's thing is better right?
Yahtzee wrote:People are Shit.? When I'm In a crowd I think to myself "who left this shit all over the place."?? I'm shit, you're shit, the world is shit, and if you're sitting there thinking "yes its true, everyone else is shit except me" then you're a double bacon shit with large fries Mr. shit face
Duty Calls: a Call of Duty parody by People Can Fly (the Bulletstorm developer) wrote: Rank Up! Sergeant Of The Master Sergeants Most Important Person Of Extreme Sergeants To The Max!