WNY was sessesh before sessesh was cool...

WNY was sessesh before sessesh was cool...

Loki Luv, MD°
Loki Luv, MD°

May 31st, 2012, 3:00 am #1

The Buffalo/Grand Island "War" of 1819 All but forgotten today is Buffalo's own "Civil War." It was a time 192 years ago that squatters living on Grand Island set themselves up as a sovereign nation, elected their own governor, issued their own currency and stoutly resisted all efforts to bring them into the Union...

...At the time the State of New York purchased Grand Island, the territorial titles of the lake and river islands between the united States and Canada were undetermined, and so they remained until the year 1822, when all the islands in the Niagara River, excepting Navy Island, were declared by the boundary commissioners, appointed by the governments of the United States and Great Britain, to belong to the United States, and consequently came under the jurisdiction of the State of New York. Up to the year 1819, the squatters held undisputed possession of the land, amenable to neither New York or Canadian law; setting up a government of there own, wherein they settled their own disputes, if they had any, but defying the authority of either jurisdiction on the opposite shores.
On one occasion a sheriff constable, armed with a civil process, crossed to the island to arrest one of the squatters, but the rebels put the officer back in his boat, took away his oars and set him adrift in the Niagara River. He might have been carried over the falls, and floated for some distance, until someone, touched by his distress, put out in another boat and took him over to the American shore.
In April of 1819, New York State decided it was time to clear out this nest of rebels. That month the legislature passed an act requiring them to leave the island. In case they resisted, the governor was empowered to remove them by force. In the fall, Sheriff James Cronk, of this county(then Niagara County), ordered them to leave. Some obeyed, but over many of the cabins smoke curled as saucily as before.
That was the last straw for the exasperated officials. A detachment of militia was called out under Lt. Benjamin Hodge of Buffalo. On December 9, 1819, Lt. Hodge, Lt. Stephen Osborne of Clarence and 30 soldiers, took boats from the "Seeley Tavern," about three miles below Black Rock, on the river shore and crossed, arriving at dusk. Early the next morning the detachment marched to the west side of the Island where most of the squatters lived. Lt. Hodge broke his contingent into three bodies; the vanguard to read a New York State proclamation and help clear the houses where the families were ready to leave, the main force to remove bodily all persons and property remaining, and the rear guard to burn the buildings.
http://www.buffalohistorygazette.com/20 ... -1819.html

AND, WNY contained the "Last of the Rebel Hold-Outs" !Courier Express January 25 1946 "The Rebels Last Stand" Old Glory Replaces Stars and Bars as Tiny Community Votes 90-23 to Re-join Union
It's all over but the shouting in Town Line. The stubborn little Erie County Hamlet, to the joy of many and sorrow of a few, yesterday renounced it's distinction of being the last stronghold of the Confederacy. By a vote of 90-23, Town Line's citizens decided to re-join the Union after 85 years of separation. Since 3:21 pm when Cesar Romero, visiting movie star, raised his arm triumphantly, announcing "a glorious victory for the Union" Town Line became a part of the United States after it's strange interlude. The deed was undone on the spot where it originated, the old Blacksmith shop in Truman Square...

...Former Rep. Edmond F. Cooke of Alden wired from Syracuse:

"The great shield of the Republic glistens today with a new lustre as Town Line resumes her place with the rest of Columbia's sons and daughters. The longest rebellion in history has come to a peaceful end with singing and feasting. Congratulations, but don't do it again!"
http://www.buffalohistorygazette.com/20 ... -1861.html Town Line Volunteer Fire Dept. Patch:

heh.

Dennis
Dennis

May 31st, 2012, 10:17 am #2

That one looks like a case of power abhoring a vacuum, rather than a sessesh movement. The squatters seem to have found a loophole, disputed possession, they could take advantage of for a time.

Off the top of my head, Town Line must have been paying taxes and following federal and state law since no action was taken against them, so they legally don't qualify either.

Would have been a cool tourist trap gimmick to not rejoin thought. Might, maybe have been able to get all the Lost Causers there for some kind of convention and then let nature, or a real big smart bomb, take its course on them!

mooster
mooster

May 31st, 2012, 11:27 am #3

My own domicile, Lucky Forward, has been a sovereign nation since I first moved in. Mooster's rebellion has been ongoing for about 11 years now. Within the bounds of my revolt there are no speeding laws, no drinking laws, no curfew, no bed time, cookies any time you want! DEFIANCE! Let the state and fed blowhards bang their gavels, pass their "laws" in their indsidous, never-ending usurping of the power from the people. Their authority has NEVER extended past my front stoop! DEFIANCE! No evil agent of any government has entered my door! Well...some paramedics and a cop here and there, but they were only there for the beer. BEER INSURRECTION!

Most importantly, no woman has ever made so much as s suggestion of a rule - not even to augment a game of Monopoly. Mooster house rules only! Lucky Forward rules! We will play Monopoly with a 'kitty pot' to be had upon landing at the Free Parking regardless of what some skirt has to say about it! Long the live the Rebellion! Long live the Lucky Forward Rebellion!

Peace,

PS: Cesar Romero ended the Town Line deal? Seriously? Cesar Romero? It would be cool to have the Joker at LF...if he wasn't too busy being dead.

PPS: Come to think of it, if I'm going to continue my rebel cause, I wouldn't want the Joker as my ally. I would much prefer Princess Leia in her brass slave bikini. This is getting better all the time!

Dennis
Dennis

May 31st, 2012, 7:03 pm #4

to take a bath in some icewater before you overheat! Pass on the brew, but will hoist an iced tea or Dr. Pepper in your honor!

Loki Luv, MD°
Loki Luv, MD°

June 1st, 2012, 12:56 am #5

...THE NEED TO SECEDE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dennis
Dennis

June 1st, 2012, 1:49 am #6

I figure it would work. Non-payment of taxes would probably be your downfall!

Gumbint is like one o' them Baptist TV preachers, you don't send the checks and they get pissed and threaten armegeddon and all that. Course the gumbint just sends your ass to jail. Same thing in my view. In both cases your ass may be in a world of hurt!

Loki Luv, MD°
Loki Luv, MD°

June 2nd, 2012, 4:13 am #7

`
I could commit an act of "treason" and get free relocation to the Idaho Wastes , or some damn thing... ...mmmmm... ...long, cold winters & spud farms !

Or you know what else would be cool - if you could voluntarily forfeit your "civil rights" and quit having to pay taxes !

I'd jump on that shit like nobody's business, I ain't lyin'. What good'd my "civil rights" ever do me, anyway ? It's all bullshit by now, that's my opinion. Right to vote ain't worth a damn - nobody running for office but criminals... ...right to a trial's all crap 'cause the poor man gets fucked by the law every time... ...free speech? Hell, they can lock you up just for caryin' a sign these days if they consider you a "threat" !

I say fuck it. Gimmee my money and keep yer damned "rights" !

Dennis
Dennis

June 2nd, 2012, 10:40 am #8

I could be right there with you. But seriously, do you think the gubmint will allow that to stand? Looks like a classic bait and switch to me Loki!