WHAT DISNEY HATH' ROT'

WHAT DISNEY HATH' ROT'

John
John

August 15th, 2012, 4:25 pm #1

Is there any worse entertainment on today's television than the Disney Channel? I'm not talking about Mickey Mouse, Goofy and Donald Duck that we all enjoyed as kids, I'm talking about the abysmal teenaged codswallop that somehow passes for comedic entertainment today. If it isn't dime a dozen, no talent, poofy 'boy bands,' it's brain suckingily stupid shows of wacky, teenaged angst, with no dicernable plot, no signs of intelligent life, unbelieveably bad acting and loaded with lots of PC subjects. These shows are so stupid and so not-funny that the laugh tracks used are often in the wrong parts of the script. While being subjected to this sort of criminal mental assault, one can actually feel one's self becoming stupider by the minute. Small wonder that today's kids ACT and SAT scores are going by the board with entertainment like this. There is no way this can in any way be titled "family entertainment" unless one is listening to the football game via head phones, while thumbing through a Playboy magazine.

Loki Luv, MD°
Loki Luv, MD°

August 16th, 2012, 5:20 am #2

`
Disney's definitely right up there on the list of channels I'd cross off the list if the chintz-ass cable company would just let a person buy access to the stuff they actually wanted to watch. I mean - they got more imaginative stuff on Cartoon Network - and that ain't even counting the incomprehensible Jappylandic anime they put on in the wee hours of the morning.

Hell - where is there anything good on goddam TV any more ?
All the channels that used to have decent programs on are full of those goddam "reality shows" now. What the hell do the rest of them even broadcast 24 hours a day ? "Infomericals" about quack products and rip-offs and cheezy swill that's aimed straight at gutter-sucking morons and other mental defectives...

Wo't a world! Wo't a world!!

heh.

August 16th, 2012, 5:46 pm #3

The grandson watches a show about trains on Disney. It is kind of cute and good for kids,but the animation bites. None of the other bullshit that passes for entertainment there is worth watching.

Animation has been shit for at a generation at minimum now. Not just the Japanese crap either, I mean across the board including the half hour shows like Simpsons. The stories may be funny but the animation is second rate at best.

Nothing matches the old Warner Brothers stuff or Disney animated feature films.

John
John

August 17th, 2012, 4:14 am #4

`
Disney's definitely right up there on the list of channels I'd cross off the list if the chintz-ass cable company would just let a person buy access to the stuff they actually wanted to watch. I mean - they got more imaginative stuff on Cartoon Network - and that ain't even counting the incomprehensible Jappylandic anime they put on in the wee hours of the morning.

Hell - where is there anything good on goddam TV any more ?
All the channels that used to have decent programs on are full of those goddam "reality shows" now. What the hell do the rest of them even broadcast 24 hours a day ? "Infomericals" about quack products and rip-offs and cheezy swill that's aimed straight at gutter-sucking morons and other mental defectives...

Wo't a world! Wo't a world!!

heh.
My boy-crazy 14 year old dotter' is the culprit. She would watch nothing else on tv if she had the choice. She's even getting her college-aged, older sister and her mother to watch the same Disfunctional Channel crapola and they actually seem to like it. I wonder if it's some sort of UFO plot and my family has become hypnotized, lost their will and been rendered powerless to the alure of the sights and sounds emanating from our tv set. I try to plan my forays of tv watching in the family room to coincide with the top of the hour and the end of whatever hideous televised puddle of rancid weasel vomit she's watching. As soon as her show ends, I change the channel to something much more viewable, like the Military Channel, the Weather Channel or anything other than that gawdawful' Disney Channel dreck. She then goes on her cell phone or starts text messaging her friends.

Loki Luv, MD°
Loki Luv, MD°

August 17th, 2012, 5:45 am #5

The grandson watches a show about trains on Disney. It is kind of cute and good for kids,but the animation bites. None of the other bullshit that passes for entertainment there is worth watching.

Animation has been shit for at a generation at minimum now. Not just the Japanese crap either, I mean across the board including the half hour shows like Simpsons. The stories may be funny but the animation is second rate at best.

Nothing matches the old Warner Brothers stuff or Disney animated feature films.
`
I wonder if anybody even paints animation cells any more. I watched a show about the making of a soon-to-premier animated show recently in which the animators were "drawing" the characters on some kind of touch screen PC monitors with an electronic "stylus". From the priviews of the actual show being produced, it seemed to me the process was much more interesting than the product was likely to be.
eh...

A sort of "special case" - Japanese anime is like the rest of Japan: so weird you wonder if an actual human culture is responsible for it.
LoL
I think some of it might be made the "good old fashioned way". It's hard to tell, and after trying to figure out what freakish cultural references might have influenced what you're seeing on the screen and wondering how much is lost in translating it to English for a while, you sort of don't care any more.

I agree that no "standard" animation done these days can compare with the old days - though my "top of the charts" would be the old Tom & Jerry cartoons, and Tex Avery's stuff. CGI is like warp drive versus a biplane, though.
Hell...I watched some damn crazy movie a little while back titled "9" - about some kind of rag doll robots who were the only survivors of some kind of apocalyptic war or some damn thing. They were cobbled together out crap like of bits of burlap cloth, bottle caps, old lenses, pins and all sorts of junk... ...trying to find some sort of machine that was the key to how they were created - only it turned out to be the same thing that built all the weapons that wrecked the world, or some damn nonsense.
Pretty silly, but holy sweet sheeting Jesus it sure looked snazzy as all hell in 101% CGI !

The only flaw I've noticed with computer animation is that it seems as though some of the guys producing it don't quite "get" the way things move, and certain scenes look "counter-intuitive" because it looks as though some critter's body is moving like no spine, or limb, or whatever could, or some such thing. It's only about as stupid as characters in a movie out-running a fireball by 2 inches and somehow not getting burned, I guess.

August 17th, 2012, 11:41 am #6

My boy-crazy 14 year old dotter' is the culprit. She would watch nothing else on tv if she had the choice. She's even getting her college-aged, older sister and her mother to watch the same Disfunctional Channel crapola and they actually seem to like it. I wonder if it's some sort of UFO plot and my family has become hypnotized, lost their will and been rendered powerless to the alure of the sights and sounds emanating from our tv set. I try to plan my forays of tv watching in the family room to coincide with the top of the hour and the end of whatever hideous televised puddle of rancid weasel vomit she's watching. As soon as her show ends, I change the channel to something much more viewable, like the Military Channel, the Weather Channel or anything other than that gawdawful' Disney Channel dreck. She then goes on her cell phone or starts text messaging her friends.
You are dead on target in your assessment of the situation as well as your response. I could not agree more.

Back off the insulting language toward the weasels if you would though. The weasel is a shrewd and noble animal and I wear his monnicker with pride and joy! So ease off the valiant varmint bubba!