Time to move.........maybe

Time to move.........maybe

Dennis
Dennis

February 13th, 2012, 11:33 am #1

We're once again studying where we want to move to live, or if we want to move, or if we want to be snowbirds. I dunno which is best.

What I do know hasn't changed. I do not want to live near the beach because I still like hurricanes less than snow storms. I want to be able to get back easily for hunting seasons at least as long as we keep the camp. It is leased through the end of 2013.

I also do not want a mortgage if it can be avoided, and do not want to do any maintenance.

We have friends who have moved or are purchasing for a later move. The son and his banker buddies say now is the time and that we are very well positioned to make a move.

Got a couple of cousins in St. Augustine and another in Marco Island. They are too close to the beach. But we enjoy their company and they give us a base in Florida.

The home CBs mom had is available, (it is in foreclosure), but in a hell of a shape as seems to be the norm in those situations. We drove by it on the way back from the Keys. The long time neighbor would love to see us come down. He is in the trades and volunteered to watch over the work being done for quality and price for us. It is far enough inland and very affordable.

I do not share the attachment some of the locals here have to the "land" so that isn't an issue. They say change is good, so it might be time....maybe...

John
John

February 13th, 2012, 7:41 pm #2

My folks love it and spend their winters down there. Housing and living is cheap, you're only 20 minutes from the Mexican Border and maybe three hours from San Diego, California. The climate is comfortably warm and dry all winter long. My Dad told me that if he'd known about Yuma 40 years ago, he would have moved the whole family out there back then.

Asmara
Asmara

February 13th, 2012, 9:00 pm #3

I have an Aunt and Uncle who now live full time in Yuma.
They were snow birds for 20-some years, summering in Utah, wintering in Yuma.
They sold their home in SLC just last summer.

I suspect the summers are blistering in Yuma, but there is A/C in all homes, vehicles, businesses, etc.

My Uncle has only one lung (since he was young; not cancer, but not sure why) and the
high altitude and pollen, etc., in Utah, were problematic. He is hospitalized again this week.
It is hell getting old. Apparently. sigh

==

Dennis & CB,

As close as I know you want to be to your grandson (and granddog LoL) you will probably want to stay
within a fairly easy driving distance to their location...

I do agree about being less inclined to move anywhere there are hurricanes, or tornadoes...
preferring some cold and snow weather to deal with versus those other weather events.
Deal with the devil I know, I guess.

Had you considered continuing to sub at your old school? Any location where you move would likely have
some sort of school sub positions available if you were interested, but I know you had enjoyed your
previous work location.

A relatively "cheap" place to live, without a mortgage, leaves disposable income for other uses...
whatever other uses, such as travel (which you currently enjoy...). I suspect that would be nice to
continue...

A plus to consider for Yuma: their grass is gravel..... and a very few other plants for landscape. But you
could do a xeriscape anywhere and be quite socially acceptable... not wasting water on lawns, etc.

I'm sure there are many more things to consider....

Enjoy the decision process !!!!

February 13th, 2012, 9:49 pm #4

We're once again studying where we want to move to live, or if we want to move, or if we want to be snowbirds. I dunno which is best.

What I do know hasn't changed. I do not want to live near the beach because I still like hurricanes less than snow storms. I want to be able to get back easily for hunting seasons at least as long as we keep the camp. It is leased through the end of 2013.

I also do not want a mortgage if it can be avoided, and do not want to do any maintenance.

We have friends who have moved or are purchasing for a later move. The son and his banker buddies say now is the time and that we are very well positioned to make a move.

Got a couple of cousins in St. Augustine and another in Marco Island. They are too close to the beach. But we enjoy their company and they give us a base in Florida.

The home CBs mom had is available, (it is in foreclosure), but in a hell of a shape as seems to be the norm in those situations. We drove by it on the way back from the Keys. The long time neighbor would love to see us come down. He is in the trades and volunteered to watch over the work being done for quality and price for us. It is far enough inland and very affordable.

I do not share the attachment some of the locals here have to the "land" so that isn't an issue. They say change is good, so it might be time....maybe...

There's bad weater no matter where you go, except for Yuma apparently...I'm all about the warm weather and water! Hurricane parties are actually fun and most of the time people don't loose their home (risks no matter where you live). I bet Arizona has there share of fires.....just sayin'

Happy decision making....

Oh yeah....I bet the rest of the family would jump at the chance to visit....

Loki Luv, MD°
Loki Luv, MD°

February 14th, 2012, 4:02 am #5

`
The absolute isolation... ...the annual Permanent Fund checks... ...the reliance on Russian tankers for your fuel supply...

ahhhhhh !!!!

Dennis
Dennis

February 14th, 2012, 10:59 am #6

The last state left to visit is now home to the sweet baby daughter's best friend. Her husband is in the army.

Apparently they are going through their worst winter in a long time. No thanks!

As additional evidence I offer the trip the daughter, hubby and grandson are taking up there this summer. The hubby is going fishing with a friend who lives up there. He advised him to bring along his (hubby's) dad's 44 to help convince grizzlys not to bother them while they fish. Nope.......not for me brother!

Dennis
Dennis

February 14th, 2012, 11:01 am #7

I have an Aunt and Uncle who now live full time in Yuma.
They were snow birds for 20-some years, summering in Utah, wintering in Yuma.
They sold their home in SLC just last summer.

I suspect the summers are blistering in Yuma, but there is A/C in all homes, vehicles, businesses, etc.

My Uncle has only one lung (since he was young; not cancer, but not sure why) and the
high altitude and pollen, etc., in Utah, were problematic. He is hospitalized again this week.
It is hell getting old. Apparently. sigh

==

Dennis & CB,

As close as I know you want to be to your grandson (and granddog LoL) you will probably want to stay
within a fairly easy driving distance to their location...

I do agree about being less inclined to move anywhere there are hurricanes, or tornadoes...
preferring some cold and snow weather to deal with versus those other weather events.
Deal with the devil I know, I guess.

Had you considered continuing to sub at your old school? Any location where you move would likely have
some sort of school sub positions available if you were interested, but I know you had enjoyed your
previous work location.

A relatively "cheap" place to live, without a mortgage, leaves disposable income for other uses...
whatever other uses, such as travel (which you currently enjoy...). I suspect that would be nice to
continue...

A plus to consider for Yuma: their grass is gravel..... and a very few other plants for landscape. But you
could do a xeriscape anywhere and be quite socially acceptable... not wasting water on lawns, etc.

I'm sure there are many more things to consider....

Enjoy the decision process !!!!

Some of which is already in the hopper! I appreciate your sharing the testimonials of kin!

Drop me a line to let me know what is up with you. All is well here!

Oh, and I don't think we'll get a place big or rural enough to handle Mahmout and his goats. Since you have room, critters and Mahmout does still have feelings toward you I thought you could maybe, well, you know, take him in!

As soon as he gets back the promised dividend from his personal loan to the ex-treasurer of Nigeria you would be livin' large!!!
Last edited by D1J1 on February 14th, 2012, 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

John
John

February 14th, 2012, 5:14 pm #8

The last state left to visit is now home to the sweet baby daughter's best friend. Her husband is in the army.

Apparently they are going through their worst winter in a long time. No thanks!

As additional evidence I offer the trip the daughter, hubby and grandson are taking up there this summer. The hubby is going fishing with a friend who lives up there. He advised him to bring along his (hubby's) dad's 44 to help convince grizzlys not to bother them while they fish. Nope.......not for me brother!
The Brown Kodiac Bears up there are even bigger than Grizzlies.

Dennis
Dennis

February 14th, 2012, 7:33 pm #9

I never want to see either type up close and personal.....or even distant and impersonal for that matter. Well, not unless there is someone with me that I know I can outrun!

John
John

February 15th, 2012, 5:57 am #10

a bolt action, 30.06 will make the worst one of them cool to the touch, really cuddly and a great photo opportunity. Not to mention, imagine a chest freezer full of several hundred pounds of bear roasts and steaks! Lots of good eating there!