Thoughts on the Inauguration...........

Thoughts on the Inauguration...........

January 21st, 2009, 8:56 am #1

I was at the inauguration with the Child Bride (she voted for him, I did not, and she's the Republican) and was impressed by many things.

I thought the speech was excellent. Hinting at the need for new ideas and methods while pointing out that our nation is based on the same values that have made us what we are. And stressing that those same core values are what we need to get back to the path of peace and prosperity.

I enjoyed greatly the stress on taking responsibility. A few groans in the crowd around us for that one, but they were VERY few.

Stressing that we will not "give in" to those who would harm us and that we will not hesitate to strike to protect ourselves is a message that I hope is carried through. I think it will be and I hope those who would do us harm were paying close attention.

So, we shall see what we shall see. My hope for our new president is the same as it would be for any person in the job. I hope he achieves greatness because that will also mean good for the American people.

I was impressed by the spirit of all the people we saw over our 3 days there. We didn't see a single instance of inappropriate behavior, rudeness or crime. We did see people of all walks of life and parts of the spectrum treating each other with respect and courtesy.

I will recommend the International Spy Museum as a place to stop if you visit. We did not get to do their interactive segment due to a water problem, but the museum alone was excellent.

We also experienced very little difficulty in getting around town. The nightmare traffic jam going into our Metro station we heard about on FOX news simply wasn't there, and we could see the site 7-8 minutes and were at the site about 15 minutes after it was last reported.

Trains were crowded, but on time and we never failed to be able to use the first one available. We were delayed leaving the Mall on Tuesday, but given the numbers there it wasn't anything that shouldn't have been expected.

Finally, did anyone else notice that President Carter shook hands with President Bush but walked past President Clinton?

Freya123
Freya123

January 21st, 2009, 10:43 am #2

his speach too. Not so over the top. He was well grounded and did not act like everything was going to be OK all of a sudden. It's going to take a lot of work and help from everyone. I wish him well, for all our sakes. He seems focused. grounded, and determined. Traits I think are very important. Our new president, no matter who won, has a lot of work ahead of him. Oh yea, I also like the fact that many of our allies like him too. Might make it a little nicer when we travel over seas.

Jan Sobieski
Jan Sobieski

January 21st, 2009, 2:50 pm #3

The only part I saw was the old civil rights guy dragging out all that out of date racial stuff. That part pretty much sucked eggs.

I guess BO has his cape and his scepter now. Gird you loins and hide your money!

Dennis, I think all the women in my family voted for Obama too - except my wife. All the men voted for McCain - grudgingly. I wonder what the breakdown was on that. I'll bet BO did great with the ladies.

Loki Luv, MD°
Loki Luv, MD°

January 22nd, 2009, 3:26 am #4

I was at the inauguration with the Child Bride (she voted for him, I did not, and she's the Republican) and was impressed by many things.

I thought the speech was excellent. Hinting at the need for new ideas and methods while pointing out that our nation is based on the same values that have made us what we are. And stressing that those same core values are what we need to get back to the path of peace and prosperity.

I enjoyed greatly the stress on taking responsibility. A few groans in the crowd around us for that one, but they were VERY few.

Stressing that we will not "give in" to those who would harm us and that we will not hesitate to strike to protect ourselves is a message that I hope is carried through. I think it will be and I hope those who would do us harm were paying close attention.

So, we shall see what we shall see. My hope for our new president is the same as it would be for any person in the job. I hope he achieves greatness because that will also mean good for the American people.

I was impressed by the spirit of all the people we saw over our 3 days there. We didn't see a single instance of inappropriate behavior, rudeness or crime. We did see people of all walks of life and parts of the spectrum treating each other with respect and courtesy.

I will recommend the International Spy Museum as a place to stop if you visit. We did not get to do their interactive segment due to a water problem, but the museum alone was excellent.

We also experienced very little difficulty in getting around town. The nightmare traffic jam going into our Metro station we heard about on FOX news simply wasn't there, and we could see the site 7-8 minutes and were at the site about 15 minutes after it was last reported.

Trains were crowded, but on time and we never failed to be able to use the first one available. We were delayed leaving the Mall on Tuesday, but given the numbers there it wasn't anything that shouldn't have been expected.

Finally, did anyone else notice that President Carter shook hands with President Bush but walked past President Clinton?
`
Didn't see much but a bit of the parade after the ceremony... daily grind to attend to & all that. No politician's hot-air fest is worth taking a day off for, either.

Heard a re-play of the speach on my way home.

eh...

"Glittering Generalities" is a phrase which comes to mind.
What else has an inaugural speech ever been, though ?

Some notables...

I've been taking responsiblity all my life.

Let him tell it to the 535 mental defectives we're forced to call the US Congress, who got us into the mess we're in, and then decided making a bigger mess was the way to fix it.

Let him tell it to the greedy rich pukes who wailed that regulations shackled the free market & then went crying to "mama gov't." to save their asses when they went too far out on the limb & it broke as it must.

Let him tell it to the third generation welfare pukes who have grown up believeing it's their constitutional right to get a check, and alcoholic/druggies sucking SSDI.

Also, he can shove all that crap about "how we use energy strengthening our enemies...blah, blah, blah..."

No doubt it is, but screw some psychotic government plan to bilk the taxpayers to pay God knows what for some "alternative energy" boondoggle that won't do anything but raise the amount of money it costs just to get by.
Sink them fuckin' domestic wells.
Build them goddam nuke plants.
There's your energy independence in a nutshell.

Guess we'll just have to wait & see what comes of this "historic election".

John
John

January 22nd, 2009, 4:38 am #5

We won't be waiting long to find out.

Dennis
Dennis

January 23rd, 2009, 11:09 am #6

But I plan to give the man a chance. Yes he's made some bad choices, Hillary tops the list, but at least none of them have proven to be as poor as "Shotgun Dick" Cheney or "Rummy the Dummy." It was his lighter, stronger, faster bullshit that caused a lot of casualties, especially to IEDs!

I like the shift of emphasis to Afghanistan. The thrill of taking that place apart rock by rock excites me............and those fuckers deserve it for more reasons than supporting terrorism. I may include them in my favored Middle East Policy when I get to be king.

I agree with Loki that we need to aggressively develop our own petroleum assets and build nuclear power plants. However, due to the finite nature of petroleum we also need to look at cleaner and alternative energy sources.

John
John

January 24th, 2009, 7:54 pm #7

if Obama didn't appoint so many idiot Clinton Administration re-treads, guys who forget to pay their taxes and the like.

Dennis
Dennis

January 25th, 2009, 5:11 am #8

Hillary as secretary of state is the equivalent of Palin as VP IMO. The noxious odors surrounding some of the others are offensive as well.

Loki Luv, MD°
Loki Luv, MD°

January 25th, 2009, 5:37 am #9

`
Party Comrade Obamsky genuinely believes these folks to be the leading lights of the Democratic party - or simply genuinely capable regardless of affiliation - or is it some dreamy hearkening back to what some regard as the "better, vanished time" of the Clinton administration, with the idea that folks might think this "necromancy" will bring back the good old days ?

Hillary's case seems somewhat straightforward... a sop to a political rival to get 'em to support the Obama agenda.

Unless he really did think she was qualified to be a diplomat...
Last edited by MinistryofJoy on January 25th, 2009, 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dennis
Dennis

January 25th, 2009, 1:14 pm #10

But having a pure vote whore as Secretary of State cuts me to the bone. Being first lady confers no more expertise on her for that post than being a community activist, small town mayor and short time governor gives Ms. Palin to be VP. Pure politics designed only to get the hard core Clintonites on the bandwagon.

I'm also confused and saddened by the need to make cabinets "inclusive" by gender, nationality and race to the seeming disregard of QUALIFICATION! While this usually (see Rumsfeld) doesn't apply to critical posts like State, Defense or Treasury it does IMO happen. It happens in both parties equally.