Space Invader...?

Space Invader...?

Loki Luv, MD°
Loki Luv, MD°

July 6th, 2012, 3:05 pm #1

Looks like if it was about a foot long, it'd make a good boot polisher...

Dennis
Dennis

July 6th, 2012, 4:36 pm #2

I got one of it's cousins, a wolly worm, in a pair of my boots and put them on without knowing it. Damn thing gave me a hell of a rash that itched worse than anything I've ever felt. Could cause the same thing!

Loki Luv, MD°
Loki Luv, MD°

July 7th, 2012, 3:22 am #3

`
I was making a bit of a dash for the door, going to bound up the stairs & about to reach out & grab the railing right where the thing was sitting when I caught a glimpse of it. I'm sure those "puffy-fuzzy" bits on its back are there to cause irritation just like you described.

Funny thing... ...I left the little guy alone instead of crushing 'im with some convenient stick or whatnot, and when I looked for him again after 15 minutes or so of 'Purslane Patrol'**, he was nowhere to be found.

**Ever since a couple of years ago when I discovered a plant called Purslane growing on PCF#0 & let it continue doing so after researching it & finding out it was not only edible, but a good source of omega-3 oils, I've had to be on the lookout for the stuff lest it run goddam wild. It didn't taste repulsive, but it wasn't anything to write home about, either, so I decided I didn't want it around any more.
What it did do, however, was live up to the factoid in its description that stated it could produce thousands of seeds per square foot. Now it pops up everywhere, like an insidious pest, and must be pulled out - roots & all - to be killed. I usually look around for a bit after watering, or when pulling other oddball "space cabbage" - ie, weeds - growing on the Farm just to find it & get rid of it.

Dennis
Dennis

July 7th, 2012, 10:01 am #4

You get the same problem when using ajuga, also called carpetbugle. Worst decision I ever made around the manor!
Last edited by D1J1 on July 7th, 2012, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

mooster
mooster

July 7th, 2012, 7:44 pm #5

My farm consists of a single large pot on my balcony with a single large cilantro plant growing in it. My girlfriend gave it to me last year and nothing grew. I left it outside all winter and it grew the one plant this spring. I didn't want to harvest it because what am I going to do with it? Make 4 tablespoons of salsa? So I'm letting it finish off and grow its little spuds so I can re-plant them and perhaps have a real crop of cilantro next year.

I wish it was basil instead. If I'm going to have a witch's garden, I want some basil. I think I'll head off to the home & garden store next time I'm off and make preparations for that.

Loki Luv, MD°
Loki Luv, MD°

July 10th, 2012, 3:10 am #6

`
I've heard a few scattered references to the use of it for "witchy stuff", but I guess I'm just too damned lazy to look into it any further.

I mean - why not oregano ?

Don't make no sense, I tell ya.

Dennis
Dennis

July 10th, 2012, 10:26 am #7

I wasn't aware of the witchcraft thing, but will have to check it out just to see what the belief was.

mooster
mooster

July 11th, 2012, 3:22 pm #8

`
I've heard a few scattered references to the use of it for "witchy stuff", but I guess I'm just too damned lazy to look into it any further.

I mean - why not oregano ?

Don't make no sense, I tell ya.
Basil, the King of Herbs!

I was thinking about growing some oregano and some chives too, but basil is a must. Try it. Put some fresh chopped or torn leaves into any pasta dish or Eye-talian style soups. Add it fresh and at the very last. If you're making homemade pizzas, lay some torn leaves right on top of the sauce before you add anything else. You'll know it's in there and so will your guests. It adds a distinctive touch of authentico. Awesome. You can make appetizers with fresh homemade mozzarella, slices of tomato and a basil leaf. I could go on and on.

Try it, Loke. You'll be hooked. You'll also contemplate growing your own, because fresh basil at the grocery store is apparently valued more than gold per ounce whereas cilantro is cheap. That's why I wish she would have given me a pot of basil. I'm rectifying this.

I'm surprised actually that you don't have some herbs growing in the People's Collective Farm Number Zero. I would if my garden consisted of actual plot space rather than ceramic pots on my balcony. Oh well, at the same time, weeding and rabbits aren't issues I have to deal with.

Loki Luv, MD°
Loki Luv, MD°

July 12th, 2012, 4:50 am #9

`
I dunno why I never grew any herbs... ...Maybe I'll try Basil if I can still find seeds somewhere. A bit of research suggests it's best done in pots so that the plants can be brought indoors when it gets cold, and I've got a few pots left unused. I guess that's the main reason I never grew herbs - space requirements. I've expanded the area of ground I cultivate every year since a pal gave me 6 tomato plants and I cleared a strip of grass just big enough to plant 'em.

I'm up to about 9 x 40 feet this year, and I got stuff packed in there so tight I canbarely walk in between plants except where I already harvested a planting of radish & beet greens - and I just planted those spots with more stuff & snuck a bit more in some "excess space" between tomato plants. Plus I got 9 of those rectangular window boxes which I scrounged from somebody who was going to throw 'em out planted with more stuff, and 3 tomato plants in pots.

I actually do have 3 chive plants growing in pots. Think I have to transplant the one in the smallest of the 3 this year, as a matter of fact. They suck up water like you wouldn't believe.

Dennis
Dennis

July 13th, 2012, 1:22 pm #10

The daughter has a really healthy looking plant in their garden. All their stuff is doing well. Even the squash and zuccini.........BFD!!!! They're already trying to unload it on us! Nope, huh-uh, nyet, nein, kiss off!!!!!!!