Some assorted WW2 pics...

Some assorted WW2 pics...

Loki Luv, MD°
Loki Luv, MD°

June 29th, 2011, 5:59 am #1

`
This installment focuses on the invasion of Poland and the Winter War between Finland & Russia -

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011 ... ar/100094/

Dennis
Dennis

June 29th, 2011, 11:25 pm #2

Good stuff, but the WiFi at this campground isn't too hot. Will try again later. Thanks for the site!

John
John

June 30th, 2011, 2:08 am #3

that I've never seen before. Good stuff and thanks, Lok'!

Loki Luv, MD°
Loki Luv, MD°

July 1st, 2011, 1:26 am #4

`
A guy I know referred me to a page called Poland WW2 , and whoever is responsible for it posts Polish-related items involving their participation in World War 2, plus other Polish historical & cultural stuff.

http://www.facebook.com/PolandWW2

John
John

July 1st, 2011, 2:59 am #5

Thanks bro' for posting all that! Really brought the war home to me in many ways, as I had some distant relatives living in Poland when the war began. The only other contacts with them we ever heard was from the Red Cross who sent pictures of them back here, during the war, lying in their coffins to my Dad's family.

Dennis
Dennis

July 2nd, 2011, 6:41 pm #6

I know I had some there too. They didn't all die as I can distinctly remember Baba very infrequently getting mail from the "old country" during my early years.

My thanks to you as well boss!

John
John

July 2nd, 2011, 8:54 pm #7

went back to Poland in the early 20's to sell off the family dairy farm and land there. While in Poland, he fell in love with some maid and decided to stay there with her, leaving my Busia alone to raise a housefull of kids all by herself.

Dennis
Dennis

July 3rd, 2011, 10:59 pm #8

Do you know much about the family back before they immigrated to America? I sadly do not.

I picked up that Dad's side, Ukrainian, were farmers. My maternal grandfather, Polish, served in the Austrian army. There was no Poland at the time.

I have some of his service papers. Half Pint John helped me get them translated. Nothing special, but they mean a lot to me!

Had he not migrated he would have been on the Russian front at the outbreak of the Great War. IIRC his commitment was for 2 years active duty and 6-8 in the reserves, carrying to sometime in 1915.

Last edited by D1J1 on July 3rd, 2011, 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John
John

July 3rd, 2011, 11:21 pm #9

Great-grandfather got out of Dodge while the getting was good, well before WWI. He met Busia on the boat to America and married her. They settled in Altoona, Pennsylvania and had six kids that I know of, maybe more. Family history says they ran a boarding house for miners and one day, a miner's dynamite that was put next to a lit stove, blewup the house. From that day on, Busia never liked a lit stove in her presence. They moved to Detroit and my great-grandfather decided to return to Poland and sell off the family farm and land holdings, but never returned.

July 4th, 2011, 9:32 am #10

Baba was 13 and Daja 23 when they wed. I don't know if this was common or not.

He was a woodworker too. Made a number of his own tools and his own fiddle. I remember that being in the home when I was a kid, but I have no idea where it got to. I have his 12 ga.

Altoona is a pretty neat place. They have one of the best minor league ballparks you'd ever want to visit. Currently it is the home of the Pirates AA team.