On a lighter note...what is everyone up to?

On a lighter note...what is everyone up to?

April 9th, 2011, 12:11 pm #1

All is well here with the kiddies, and today hods either yard work or, if things work out and the weather cooperates, golf with the son and friends.

We finished up planning for our most ambitious Road Trip yet yesterday...7 weeks. There are still small details to work out, like choosing some things that are must dos at a couple of stops, but we're ready to go!

Loki Luv, MD°
Loki Luv, MD°

April 10th, 2011, 5:55 am #2

`
Lately I've been meandering through the old areas of Buffalo looking for interesting photo ops. Frankly, I have to say it's turned into a chronicle of decay more than anything. The areas that were my old stomping grounds in the city are pretty much well and truly fucked. Lots of streets have more boarded up houses, partially burned-out wrecks, and empty lots than houses with folks living in them. There are lots of old "industrial use" buildings which are empty/crumbling hulks scattered throughout parts of the city. Some areas look like they've either been bombed, or like house-to-house fighting has taken place there at some point. Fascinating in a way, but a bit depressing.

Still - there are some folks trying to turn things around. I've even done my own humble bit recently, putting in a couple of Saturday mornings helping to clean up at an "old world" style market which was one of the family's main sources of groceries when I was but a wee laddie - especially meats. A couple of blocks away, a couple bought 20 empty housing lots & started a small urban farm. A local church is trying to get people to move back into the "hood" by "partnering" with a local real estate developer & bank to offer low cost new-built houses to would-be "urban pioneers" (sadly, the sole example of said structures remains the model home for the project - then again, I think the incentive they should offer is more like a free auto-shotgun, sidearm & paid pistol permit w/safety course, considering where they're asking people to move to...)

Here's an example of what I was talking about. This wreck is one of 6 houses left on the side of the street it's on - where maybe 20 or more once stood. Of the other 5, 3 are boarded up, with 2 more boarded up right across the street from them, with a handfull of empty lots next to those.

celtredleg
celtredleg

April 10th, 2011, 1:52 pm #3

All is well here with the kiddies, and today hods either yard work or, if things work out and the weather cooperates, golf with the son and friends.

We finished up planning for our most ambitious Road Trip yet yesterday...7 weeks. There are still small details to work out, like choosing some things that are must dos at a couple of stops, but we're ready to go!
well, first i have to work an extra shift, only in the morning instead of at night, so tired aas hell, but hopefully only about 5 hours.

After that I hope to put the finishing touches on Rupert of the Rhines Blew coate Regiment of Foote, and mount them. And maybe even start on Sgt Major Phillip Skippons Regiment of Foote. I am really looking forward to Skippons Rgt, it is one that I wanted to do at the start of the project, but was afraid if I did all the ones I liked best first, I would lose steam and not get everything finished.

As it is, I am a bity behind, and OT is not helping me catch up, but the money helps of course. So I can afford to buy what I need, just dont have the time to paint them. Bewtter than a year ago when I had all the time there was, but no money.

Owen

john
john

April 10th, 2011, 11:10 pm #4

Somebody screwed up someplace and gave us some truely unseasonably warm weather. I LOVE IT!!

John
John

April 11th, 2011, 4:15 am #5

THERE ISN'T ANYMORE FUCKING FROST IN THE GROUND!!! MAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! The planting season commences!

Loki Luv, MD°
Loki Luv, MD°

April 11th, 2011, 5:47 am #6

`
...but I won't feel like the threat's over until at least the end of April. Last year and the year before I had to cover seedlings to protect against frost which occured even in week 1 of May. I should start looking around for seeds & sharpen up me old pick-axe, though. ( Although it's something of a misrepresentation to call a tool with a plastic handle "old"...LoL)

John
John

April 12th, 2011, 3:18 am #7

You either win big or lose big.

Dennis
Dennis

April 17th, 2011, 1:37 pm #8

And did pretty well with 18 books. Pretty wide ranging volumes including a few on the Civil War, Dien Bien Phu, a huge baseball anthology and the companion coffee table book to Ken Burns baseball.

Good luck to you gardeners, but I still won't be joining you in that hobby. Looks like we got all our rain for the year this month here. From what I've seen nobody is doing much along those lines locally.

John
John

April 17th, 2011, 3:42 pm #9

We're expecting 1 to 4 inches of snow by tomorrow morning..

John
John

April 17th, 2011, 11:49 pm #10

And did pretty well with 18 books. Pretty wide ranging volumes including a few on the Civil War, Dien Bien Phu, a huge baseball anthology and the companion coffee table book to Ken Burns baseball.

Good luck to you gardeners, but I still won't be joining you in that hobby. Looks like we got all our rain for the year this month here. From what I've seen nobody is doing much along those lines locally.
Outstanding! Sounds like you made quite the haul, Dennis!