Natures Tragedies: Stranded On A Tomato Plant !!!!!!

Natures Tragedies: Stranded On A Tomato Plant !!!!!!

Loki Luv, MD°
Loki Luv, MD°

July 15th, 2010, 3:30 am #1

`
So I'm sitting outside earlier this evening reading the ever-so-fascinating A History of God: The 4ooo Year Quest of Judaism, Christianity and Islam, when I happen to notice a sparrow land on one of the arms of the "Y" at the top of a stick I've used as a tomato plant support stake. It rises up above the highest leaves by about 6 inches, and the "Y" itself is about 3-4 feet off the ground.

I didn't think much of it until it came back a minute or 2 later... ...then again a minute or 2 later... ...then again , and then hops down into the foliage and emerges onto the edge of the pot the tomato is planted in, only to fly off & return a couple of minutes later...

Now I'm all What the fuck ? wondering if the damn thing is building a nest in the pot because the bushy tomato would conceal it. Sounds pretty stupid to me, but you never know what the hell these damned animals are going to do.

So I get up and meander over to see what's afoot, and it's then that I spot "Chubby the Wonder Chick" sitting on a leaf of the plant -

At which point I'm thinking how the hell did the damned thing GET there ?
I mean - I was only about 3 feet away from the li'l tyke when I took the photo, and it was obvious that he knew I was there, but seemed incapable of flight. (Mom - it was now apparent - had taken wing at my approach and was watching me from the edge of RT's carport, twittering now and again in what one presumes were the tones of avian "mudderly" concern...LoL).

I guess the wee bastid either tried to leave the nest before being ready to do so, or fell out of it. No tree branches overhang People's Collective Farm Number Zero, though, so I presume a fortuitous gust of wind propelled 'um to a comparatively soft landing. The adult bird coming & going turned out to be feeding Little Prince Chubness what appeared to be bits of crushed up bugs.

Damned animals !

LoL

Dennis
Dennis

July 15th, 2010, 9:10 am #2

It looks like Junior made a premature attempt at leaving the nest. But he is pretty well full feathered, so given enough altitude at the original homestead and a friendly wind it is very possible for him to have arrived at your tomato plant.

Loki Luv, MD°
Loki Luv, MD°

July 17th, 2010, 2:16 am #3

Heh...Actually, it's about about 15 miles from RT, where this specimin was perched on a dead tree limb overlooking a grocery store parking lot...

BTW - Chub-a-roo-nee was gone from his perch the next morning.
I presume he either flew the proverbial coop, or at least hopped away to seemingly safer accomodations.

Dennis
Dennis

July 17th, 2010, 8:55 am #4

But 15 miles.........WOW!

Glad the porkster made a safe getaway. If he hadn't the murderer would have surely left some evidence, in the form of lost feathers, behind!

Edit: On accounta I forgot my name! And that it starts wid a capital letter!
Last edited by D1J1 on July 18th, 2010, 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Loki Luv, MD°
Loki Luv, MD°

July 17th, 2010, 5:37 pm #5

`
...For a hypothetical "foul play" type demise for the diminutive Chunkster could include one of the local stray/semi-feral felines known to lurk about the vicinity of RT.
Here's one I caught having a nap in the yard a couple of weeks ago...

Didn't see any evidence of the aforementioned possibility, though.

celtredleg
celtredleg

July 17th, 2010, 7:31 pm #6

set of gloves. I like cats, just not ferals. Pain in the butt to skin though.

Loki Luv, MD°
Loki Luv, MD°

July 18th, 2010, 1:44 am #7

`
...develop a taste for mole...

Though it seems my customary chemical counter-attack has at least wiped out the initial "assault wave" of the foul Molish race.

I doubt cats could be expected to dig for dinner in any case.

July 18th, 2010, 10:25 am #8

The felines will hop right on moles, but only if they sense (see or smell) movement from what I've noted. Though to be safe, we apply chemical warfare to them too.

I was told that mothballs work well with them too, but I don't think they kill them, so fuck that!

Doing moles is just as much fun as playing with Round-Up, you just don't get visual results.

Celt, Celt, Celt.........cats aren't hard to skin, if you remember to kill 'em first! Do we have to remind you about everything!?

celtredleg
celtredleg

July 18th, 2010, 4:22 pm #9

My mom always had a lot of friends in town, who felt that a farm always had need of more cats. So they would raise a batch of kittens, until thye where no longer small enough to be fun around the house, then they would let us have them, without troubleing us by asking.

Of course that meant we got periodic invasions of overfed lazy critters that expected to be fed. No such luck for them. The coyotes would pick off many of them, but there where always a few that survive long enough to be a pain. One of my jobs was thinning them back. Usualy a .22 was fine for the job. I had one though that figured out if he hid in the wood pile a .22 just would not get to him.

So I brought out my Gerand, noted which bit of wood he was most likely behind, and pumped in 3 rounds. All the wood did was insure the rounds where well expanded by the time they hit him. It was some trouble to scrape up the bits to bury, but he never bothered me again.

Does that count as a skinning?

Owen

July 19th, 2010, 8:33 am #10

It does to me! Like they say, there's more than one way.....