Mutually Assured Destruction

Mutually Assured Destruction

Dennis
Dennis

May 9th, 2010, 2:43 pm #1

The Sherman and 88 AT gun at close quarters. Probably no winners here!

[/IMG]

John
John

May 10th, 2010, 3:42 am #2

on who pulls the trigger first.

Loki Luv, MD°
Loki Luv, MD°

May 10th, 2010, 4:23 am #3

`
At that range, the 88 round is gonna go right on through that stinkin' tin can and explode half a mile beyond it !

hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee !!!!

Dennis
Dennis

May 10th, 2010, 9:11 am #4

Kinda the way I saw it. The CB looked at the scene and though it was curtains for the AT crew.

I advised her that the only thing saving the tankies was the good chance that the 88 would pass completely thorough without exploding. Splash would in all likelyhood take care of them anyway.

celtredleg
celtredleg

May 11th, 2010, 2:22 pm #5

The Sherman and 88 AT gun at close quarters. Probably no winners here!

[/IMG]
At that range the 75 may not arm either, in which case they may both be embarassed, at least until the MGs open up.

The other is that is about the best angle a sherman can fight from. It the 88 hits on the front, the sharp angle may well bounce the round off. A hit on the turret or the side, however is bad news.

Dennis
Dennis

May 11th, 2010, 3:45 pm #6

In reality the 88 is lined up just above and between the front and middle sets of road wheels.

celtredleg
celtredleg

May 12th, 2010, 5:36 am #7

The better visibility the gun has will probably trump the sherman. At that range the 88 will punch through both sides. Where you said it is aimed, is right on the extra plate to cover the ammo. I believe that that miodel has the wet storage, so probably no ammo explosionbut the gunner at least is going to htake a lower body hit. Spall may take out the whole turret crew, but the driver and radio operater are all right.

Nice pic by the way. We have a lot of shermans here, but no 88's

May 12th, 2010, 9:55 am #8

The whole scene and the 88.....
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

celtredleg
celtredleg

May 12th, 2010, 10:49 pm #9

Pak 43 right? I have never seen one of those in person. I have seen the flak 18, but not the AT gun.

Had that gun been back in the trees where it belongs, the Sherman might have only seen it when it went off, but that is not a easy for people to see.

John
John

May 13th, 2010, 4:14 am #10

the Sherman wouldn't have known it was there until the first round tore through its vitals. Where the hell are all of the panzerfaust wielding infantrymen, or Volksgrenadiers? That's their job to knock out a tank at close range. 88's are supposed to start brewing up Shermans at a mile out, not when they're right on top of them.