It's the mind-boggling tale of the thing you thought was settled - BUT JUST WON'T DIE !!!

It's the mind-boggling tale of the thing you thought was settled - BUT JUST WON'T DIE !!!

Loki Luv, MD°
Loki Luv, MD°

November 9th, 2011, 3:27 am #1

Seelöwe Nord: The Germans are coming Seelöwe Nord is a war novel that tells the alternative history of Operation Sealion, the proposed German invasion of Britain in 1940. In Andy Johnsons debut novel, the invasion actually takes place, but instead of falling on the south coast of England as was expected, the Germans land on the east coast of Yorkshire between Scarborough and Skipsea. The invasion also involves a parachute attack on RAF Driffield and a glider-borne assault against the gun batteries on Spurn Head.

http://www.seelowe-nord.co.uk/about-the-books/

Map of Britain for reference. Skipsea is apparently located about halfway between Bridlington and Hornsea, South of Scarborough.

John
John

November 9th, 2011, 4:39 am #2

His castle is only a stone's throw away from the landing beaches.

Dennis
Dennis

November 9th, 2011, 10:42 am #3

I dunno about that. Looks like a lot more water to very slowly cross. The RN might not even leave him anything to shoot at!

Then he would not be at all happy!

John
John

November 9th, 2011, 6:09 pm #4

The invasion site plays to all of England's strengths and none whatsoever for the Germans. While Luftwaffe bombers could reach the area, there would be no fighter protection for them, with the all too predictable results, especially after RAF Fighter Command got involved. The main RN naval bases at Scapa Flow and Rosyth are but a few hour's sailing distance away, so the invasion would be like shooting fish in a barrel for them. These few facts alone make me think the author is a bigger whackjob than leandros and the duck put together.

Dennis
Dennis

November 9th, 2011, 6:34 pm #5

The rabid neo-nazis who masturbate at the very thought of a ratzi victory or picture of one-nut will buy a copy and claim it is history! More like hystericalry!

Loki Luv, MD°
Loki Luv, MD°

November 10th, 2011, 5:41 am #6

`
What is there about that region of England which would make it worth landing there to attack - moreso that threatening London by landing on the South coast ? Is/was there anything ?

Dennis
Dennis

November 10th, 2011, 12:15 pm #7

Sadly the author of this military version of Mother Goose didn't ask himself the same question!

John
John

November 10th, 2011, 2:20 pm #8

`
What is there about that region of England which would make it worth landing there to attack - moreso that threatening London by landing on the South coast ? Is/was there anything ?
My guess would be the industrial midlands of England, the heart of its war machine. It would be like attacking and cutting off the Ruhr in Germany. Only problem is, the Germans would need several complete panzer and motorized divisions ashore in order to pull it off. Oh yes, also an intact major harbor nearby to unload all of the tank transport ships. All of which would be sadly lacking.

Loki Luv, MD°
Loki Luv, MD°

November 11th, 2011, 5:44 am #9

`
But I gotta admit to not knowing where they were all located on Foggy Isle. The apparent utter lack of means/facilities in that region to get equipment ashore also struck me as making it an odd choice for a landing site.

I wonder if the author goes into any detail about such matters in this book. If I could get a copy for 50 cents or so on ebay or Amazon, it might be worth delving into.

Then again, that's still 3-4 bucks shipping.
LoL

Dennis
Dennis

November 11th, 2011, 10:30 am #10

Whatsa matter! Ain't you got a local fish market? You should find a shitload of free, if somewhat stinky copies there! Of course the stench won't be all from the fish!

Might there be industrial targets there? Probably, but that doesn't change the reality that they couldn't cross the narrowest part of the channel, let alone moving farther north.
Last edited by D1J1 on November 11th, 2011, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.