I haven't landed on mi' 'ead....

I haven't landed on mi' 'ead....

Von Richter.
Von Richter.

August 22nd, 2008, 1:02 am #1

but on mi' feet again. Later today we're of to East Kirkby to have a look inside Lancaster 'Just Jane'. We're taking a Veteran of Bomber Command back to his old airfield. He gets in the Lanc for nowt, for obvious reasons, me and my mate have to pay twenty five quid. The old Gentleman flew on the Nuremburg (one of Bomber Command's most costly operations) raid in a Lanc's rear turret. All the way there and back he recalls seeing bombers exploding as the nightfighters got them. Ours went up in a orange and yellow ball, the Jerry's in a bluey green one, at the time thay were told it was the low grade fuel the Jerrys were using that made the distinction.

Dennis
Dennis

August 22nd, 2008, 8:45 am #2

Outstanding Von! I know you'll have a great time.

I had a friend who was a belly turret gunner in B-17s. He's gone now, but wouldn't ever talk about it except to say he's not stupid enough to take that particular job again.

Remember not to jump no matter how tempting it looks. The ground is still too close for your chute to work!

Just thought I'd remind you since I know you're not getting smarter as you age!

Von Richter.
Von Richter.

August 23rd, 2008, 12:11 am #3

I'll probably come brown arsing round your goodself to post the piccies for me, will that be ok!?

celtredleg
celtredleg

August 23rd, 2008, 12:22 am #4

Outstanding Von! I know you'll have a great time.

I had a friend who was a belly turret gunner in B-17s. He's gone now, but wouldn't ever talk about it except to say he's not stupid enough to take that particular job again.

Remember not to jump no matter how tempting it looks. The ground is still too close for your chute to work!

Just thought I'd remind you since I know you're not getting smarter as you age!
pretty much my mwhole life, and he maybe said 5-6 words to me total in that time. No big deal as he was of an age with my grandmother.

Then I came home from desert storm. Saw him once, in the short time I had, and he talked like crazy. But only when nobody else was close enough to hear. And he told me about being in the Navy in the Pacific in WWII. He got sunk off of guadalcanal, and I beleive he said he was on the USS Juneau, which was the CLAA the Sullivan bros where on. Only 5 guys got off of that one.

He died before I made it back home on leave again. I regret all the years I could have learned many great WWII stories, but I understand not wanting to talk to anybody but other members of the club. As being sunk probably doesnt make you that way, I have always beleived there was at least one really great (or horrific depending how you look at it) story I would have heard if only there had been the time.

John
John

August 23rd, 2008, 1:37 am #5

The Naval Battles of Guadalcanal were some bad stuff. The battle that the Juneau and her sistership Atlanta fought and were sunk in, was described as a "Barroom brawl with the lights turned off." US Heavy and Light Cruisers and Destroyers went up against Japanese Battleships and Cruisers at point blank range. The Juneau was an Anti-aircraft Light Cruiser mounting something like 20-5" guns in dual mount turrets. They could spit out alot of firepower in a very short period of time. Only problem was, she had a glass jaw and was supposed to be used solely to provide AAA fire support for US Aircraft carriers and never designed to slug it out against enemy cruisers in a fleet vs. fleet surface action.

Though the Juneau was badly damaged by both Japanese Naval gunfire and "long lance torpedoes, she was still afloat the next day and her damage control crews making progress against the battle damage. While she was limping away from the area, she caught a full spread of Japanese Submarine launched torpedoes and was blown apart. All five of the Sullivan Brothers and most of the remaining crew went to the bottom with her. The USN later named a destroyer for them.

Dennis
Dennis

August 23rd, 2008, 7:53 am #6

I'll probably come brown arsing round your goodself to post the piccies for me, will that be ok!?
Serpently my good man.............serpently!

August 23rd, 2008, 2:55 pm #7

The Naval Battles of Guadalcanal were some bad stuff. The battle that the Juneau and her sistership Atlanta fought and were sunk in, was described as a "Barroom brawl with the lights turned off." US Heavy and Light Cruisers and Destroyers went up against Japanese Battleships and Cruisers at point blank range. The Juneau was an Anti-aircraft Light Cruiser mounting something like 20-5" guns in dual mount turrets. They could spit out alot of firepower in a very short period of time. Only problem was, she had a glass jaw and was supposed to be used solely to provide AAA fire support for US Aircraft carriers and never designed to slug it out against enemy cruisers in a fleet vs. fleet surface action.

Though the Juneau was badly damaged by both Japanese Naval gunfire and "long lance torpedoes, she was still afloat the next day and her damage control crews making progress against the battle damage. While she was limping away from the area, she caught a full spread of Japanese Submarine launched torpedoes and was blown apart. All five of the Sullivan Brothers and most of the remaining crew went to the bottom with her. The USN later named a destroyer for them.
`
Oddly enough, the original USS Sullivans is now part of a museum in Buffalo, New York.

Here's a shot of her taken from the upper deck of the cruiser USS Little Rock, moored alongside -

______________________________________________________________________________________________
"Truth is the Obligation to Lie according to a Fixed Convention" ~ Nietzsche "Any change is resisted because bureaucrats have a vested interest in the chaos in which they exist" ~ Richard M Nixon

August 24th, 2008, 1:05 pm #8

How about some details? Mebbe the name and who operates it? Government, veterans organization or city/state historical society?

From the photos the ships look to be in excellent condition. How about the report from close-up? Is it worth a stop given that we've done a variety of naval vessels already or would it be more of a quick photo op?

I'm forming basic vacation plans for another big road trip next summer. With of course executive oversight from the CB.

The idea I'm perking would start off quite nicely with a swing through Buffalo and a border crossing at Niagara Falls.

John
John

August 24th, 2008, 7:49 pm #9

Von Richter.
Von Richter.

August 25th, 2008, 12:45 am #10

I played the game valiantly this weekend till they dumped me in the Occifer's Mess tonight... now I'm pissed as a cunt, but there's Veterens tales to be told aplenty to you silly bastards, when I sober up.