Homina, Homina, Homina...

Homina, Homina, Homina...

Loki Luv, MD°
Loki Luv, MD°

July 13th, 2012, 3:15 am #1

`
I saw this at Big Lots today, so I tried it:

Whose idea was it to do this to corn, anyway...? Why did it have a taste that reminded me of a faint flower fragrance...?

I dunno. I figured - I liked grits when I tried 'em... ...this is what they're made out of, right ?
I think I should have bought the Turkish "caramel cookies" - or whatever the hell they were - instead.

For that matter - how the hell did Big Lots come to stock Turkish cookies ?
Or Italian, Belgian & British ones...? ...or Polish pickles & sauerkraut...? ...or peach friggin' chutney ???

What are they now - the goddam "high class" bargain shit-hole ?

July 13th, 2012, 8:11 pm #2

I never tried hominy as I figured if they tasted anything like grits, which seemed likely, I wouldn't like them either.

We went by a discount grocery place that just opened nearby and had a similar experience with foreign goods. One of the stacks of veggies had half the can labels printed in English and the other half in A-rab! Weird, but prices were good, though choice among different brands was very limited. A good place to stockpile things you might buy in bulk.

Loki Luv, MD°
Loki Luv, MD°

July 14th, 2012, 5:40 am #3

`
Some years ago when I lived in a suburb North of the city, I used to drive by a store with a sign on it that read SUPER BAZAAR . Naturally, one day I had to stop in and see what the superness was.
Turned out it was a store which specialized in grocery items from India, along with everything from Indian knicknacks to Indian music CDs. I'll never forget the weird looks I got from the swarthy folk milling about the place. Intollerant bastids !
LoL

I purchased a can of mixed vegetables, primarily because I recognized the contents by the photo on the label. All the text on everything in the place was in "jibberjabberish" - or whatever the Indian language is called.
Man alive - the stuff was friggin' SALTY !!!
I couldn't even wash the salty-ness away by putting the vegs in a collander and washing 'em with water for God only knows how long. Yeesh !

July 14th, 2012, 11:05 am #4

I've tried their cuisine, at least the curry style, twice and the CB ate it once. She is through with it, as am I when out and about with her as orders are orders.

I'll give it another shot as the first curry I found very good and the second dung. Chalk that up to the restaurant, not the style.

You get the "look" in lots of places. Even from fellow Americans who may be different from you in some manner, and not just color. Most folk around the current residence would greet us with the following first two sentences for the first couple of years, "Hello," followed by the look and "You all not from around here, are you?"

The worst was in Belle Glades, Florida. A true dung heap and very, very scary. It is better now than the first time we went down that way, but still uncomfortable to the extreme.

John
John

July 15th, 2012, 1:40 am #5

`
I saw this at Big Lots today, so I tried it:

Whose idea was it to do this to corn, anyway...? Why did it have a taste that reminded me of a faint flower fragrance...?

I dunno. I figured - I liked grits when I tried 'em... ...this is what they're made out of, right ?
I think I should have bought the Turkish "caramel cookies" - or whatever the hell they were - instead.

For that matter - how the hell did Big Lots come to stock Turkish cookies ?
Or Italian, Belgian & British ones...? ...or Polish pickles & sauerkraut...? ...or peach friggin' chutney ???

What are they now - the goddam "high class" bargain shit-hole ?
I guess it's just an aquired taste. I used to eat it alot whenever I visited my uncle, who hailed from Tennesee. Grits in the morning are a good staple for farmers, as it sticks to the ribs for hours after eating and will tide you through to lunch.

Loki Luv, MD°
Loki Luv, MD°

July 15th, 2012, 3:47 am #6

`
We took a road trip to Florida once, and everywhere we stopped for breakfast South of the Mason-Dixon line along the East coast I had grits.

Something about the "source material" seemed odd, though.

LoL

celtredleg
celtredleg

July 15th, 2012, 7:39 am #7

I've tried their cuisine, at least the curry style, twice and the CB ate it once. She is through with it, as am I when out and about with her as orders are orders.

I'll give it another shot as the first curry I found very good and the second dung. Chalk that up to the restaurant, not the style.

You get the "look" in lots of places. Even from fellow Americans who may be different from you in some manner, and not just color. Most folk around the current residence would greet us with the following first two sentences for the first couple of years, "Hello," followed by the look and "You all not from around here, are you?"

The worst was in Belle Glades, Florida. A true dung heap and very, very scary. It is better now than the first time we went down that way, but still uncomfortable to the extreme.
I havent eaten it in maybe 20 years, but I used to like it, just dont know how to cook it. I tend to like Curry a lot also. but, you can get a great burger, and you can get a crappy burger. Just depends on the cook.

I have eaten so much stuff I had no idea what it was. In german, I would just point at something on a menu. I could not read what it was if it wasnt in engleish or german. Got lots of great stuff and some real crap. But always lots of fun.

Be brave, it probably wont kill you, though you may wish it did.

Owen

Dennis
Dennis

July 15th, 2012, 9:06 am #8

It isn't the cuisine. Hard to convince the CB of that though.

Dennis
Dennis

July 15th, 2012, 9:07 am #9

`
We took a road trip to Florida once, and everywhere we stopped for breakfast South of the Mason-Dixon line along the East coast I had grits.

Something about the "source material" seemed odd, though.

LoL
Because they taste exactly like whatever it is you put in or on them since the have little if any of their own. Sorry, I don't like mush. I will have the occasional bowl of oatmeal though.

john
john

July 16th, 2012, 1:01 am #10

They remind me of 'Cream of Wheat." Same sort of mushy texture, but tastes pretty good with a good dollop of butter and salt.