Hey Yunz! We're back from da 'burg

Hey Yunz! We're back from da 'burg

Dennis
Dennis

May 26th, 2009, 1:47 am #1

Here are a couple of shots from our restaurant on Mt. Washington, once called Coal Hill.

All the pictures from the trip will be added to the Pittsburgh folder in the usual location.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

John
John

May 26th, 2009, 4:29 am #2

Just to the left of the closest bridge is where Fort Pitt used to be. The silly Frenchmen built Fort Dusquene right about where that fountain is now. Personally, I think it is all an abomination and I would prefer to see it as it once was here:
http://www.lordnelsons.com/gallery/fron ... ng/68z.htm

John
John

May 26th, 2009, 4:30 am #3

It was probbly not far from where you took that picture from, Dennis.

John
John

May 26th, 2009, 4:35 am #4

Just a couple of thousand yards off to the right

John
John

May 26th, 2009, 4:48 am #5

Dennis
Dennis

May 26th, 2009, 10:29 am #6

Just to the left of the closest bridge is where Fort Pitt used to be. The silly Frenchmen built Fort Dusquene right about where that fountain is now. Personally, I think it is all an abomination and I would prefer to see it as it once was here:
http://www.lordnelsons.com/gallery/fron ... ng/68z.htm
The small 4 bastion outline between the two groups of trees is Ft. Duquesene's location. Pitt was much larger taking up almost all of the grassy area. The museum is on one bastion the other reconstructed portion of one is on the other side of the bridge.

The only remaining original portion of Fort Pitt is one of the blockhouses which is obscured by the trees on the right farthest up the Monongahela.

John
John

May 26th, 2009, 7:13 pm #7

The stupid French did their usual piss poor job of engineering and built the fort too close to the river, meaning that come the following spring run-off, Fort Duquesne was largely underwater. Whem the British took over the ruins, they took one look at its location and wisely moved it to higher ground.

Dennis
Dennis

May 26th, 2009, 9:07 pm #8

I don't know how much higher, if any Ft. Pitt was. We saw more than one report of the bastions of Pitt being the only thing that kept it dry on the inside on more than one occassion.

Duquesene also had facings of wood and/or stone on the outside, but I'm not sure of the walls height.

This statue is up on Mount Washington, about the site of one of the paintings you graciously provided:

[/IMG]