Heavy duty storm front.....

Heavy duty storm front.....

June 30th, 2012, 1:23 am #1

Sitting downstairs in the game room. Lots of lightning and big winds. Severe thunderstorm and tornado warnings both posted for another half hour or so. Maybe we should have stayed in Richmond for another day.

Loki Luv, MD°
Loki Luv, MD°

June 30th, 2012, 2:08 am #2

`
Watching reports concerning the storm system on The Weather Channel.
Colorized radar imagery makes it look like a giant flaming scimtar heading straight for the District of Corruption. (there I go... ...pipe dreaming again...)

Hope it passes over you without doing any damage !

Dennis
Dennis

June 30th, 2012, 2:26 am #3

No damage, but warnings of severe thunderstorms run until 1 AM. We watched that cell all the way from Indianapolis.

Nice, very quick temperature drop though!

John
John

June 30th, 2012, 2:40 am #4

but the severe weather, I think I'll take a pass. It's been dryer than hell so far this year.

Loki Luv, MD°
Loki Luv, MD°

June 30th, 2012, 3:22 am #5

`
We got Watta Towwa Mark Two !!! Flip this baby on for 20 minutes - half hour in the morning & everything's good to go for the day !
I'd rather have dry than drenched. I still have "blight nightmares" from that cold, soggy Summer 'round 3 years back...

June 30th, 2012, 10:51 am #6

I'm bothered by thoughts that I might have a "black eye" to go along with the black thumb!!!

June 30th, 2012, 10:53 am #7

but the severe weather, I think I'll take a pass. It's been dryer than hell so far this year.
Don't know how much but it didn't come in one of those quick, gully-washing rains.

Asmara
Asmara

July 2nd, 2012, 12:34 am #8

from numerous forest fires here. Lots of smoke.
And heat, low humidity, some wind.
Most everything you do not want if you are fighting a forest fire.

It was a little cooler today; only high 80's instead of high 90's.
Back to 95 tomorrow.
10% humidity.
There was a slight chance of rain today, and I really hoped that it would rain.
But, no.

Loki Luv, MD°
Loki Luv, MD°

July 3rd, 2012, 1:13 am #9

I'm bothered by thoughts that I might have a "black eye" to go along with the black thumb!!!
`
Already started harvesting stuff, actually.

I've 'et up all the first planting of radish & beet greens - beets are OK, but I'd rather just eat the leaves. Radishes taste like there's still dirt on 'em no matter how much you scrub 'em, but their leaves are good, too. Radishes are ready to pick the leaves in a month - though I pack 'em together way too close & as a result had only one actual radish among all the roots. Fine by me, as it tasted like spicy dirt.
LoL

I just noticed last week that seemingly all of a sudden there were pea pods on a bunch of my pea... ...err... ...vines, or whatever the hell they're called. I thought the plants would stand up on their own, but it turned out they send out tendrils & grab whatever's handy or just sort of flop over. The chicken wire "fence" is holding up a lot of 'em. So long as they grow & produce something I pretty much could care less what they end up looking like. 2nd planting of peas - perhaps unwisely done in a recatngular container - is about 3 inches high.

Just picked some Romaine lettuce leaves today - a week or so early, but what the hell. 2nd planting of same is about an inch tall

Started picking Swiss Chard last week. Interesting stuff. 2nd planting - clearly an insufficient amount in a single rectangular container - is 4-5 inches high.
On a related note - can you friggin' believe I could not find collard green seeds at any of the goddam stores around here ? What's up with that ?
I had my first helping of good old home-style greens at a "mutli-ethnic community luncheon" since I lived in the city early this Spring, and was itching to try my hand at making 'em myself. Damned if I could find the seeds in the crackerland 'burbs, though... ...fuck them people, I say.
LoL

I even picked a handfull of early-ripened tomatoes today. A variety allegedly called "Sun Gold" - though I gotta say, they look suspiciouly similar to cherry tomoatoes. Another new-to-me variety called "Patio Tomatoes" (don't ask me...they're supposed to grow well in pots) also has a couple or 3 ripening already.
I'm begining to think my "tomato disease alarm" was false. The 2nd Sun Gold plant I had did sort of wither & die, but it must have suffered some unknown trauma - perhaps in transit from the greenhouse as a wee sprout - or some damn thing. It's space has already been taken up by a 5th cucumber hill & a planting of spaghetti squash.

John
John

July 3rd, 2012, 3:34 am #10

from numerous forest fires here. Lots of smoke.
And heat, low humidity, some wind.
Most everything you do not want if you are fighting a forest fire.

It was a little cooler today; only high 80's instead of high 90's.
Back to 95 tomorrow.
10% humidity.
There was a slight chance of rain today, and I really hoped that it would rain.
But, no.

Swamps and shallow ponds that held water fowl swimming on them three weeks ago are now bone dry. First time I've seen that in several years.