Gun question?

Gun question?

Freya123
Freya123

February 7th, 2009, 1:37 pm #1

I'm thinking about purchasing a gun. I wanna use it for just the enjoyment of shooting and home defense.

I went to the store and looked at some. One friend had recommended the Taurus Judge. I checked it out and it seems too big and bulky for me. Plus the saleman said it has a recoil similar to a .357 which I know is too big for me. My hand gets tired after about five shots 'cause I have to grip a .357 so hard to shoot strait. But I like the idea that the Judge can be used with regular bullets or shotgun shells.

I liked the Taurus .38. Was comfy in my hand, wasn't big and bulky, and doesn't seem to have outrageous recoil so I could practice shooting for longer. But still a good home defense caliber. However the barrel was short so I'd have to be a pretty good shot.

I don't want a pussy gun either. No use in just pissing an intruder off, I want to take 'em down if they break into my house.

I might head to the shooting range where they'll let me try a few different ones to see at least what caliber I like best.

Any recomendations on brand and caliber?

celtrtedleg
celtrtedleg

February 7th, 2009, 3:58 pm #2

Many ranges will let you rent a gun to shoot. So go do that, and find what fits you. The practice with it.

Dont worry about a short barrel. Inside a house it wont make any difference. And besides, you are better off hitting with a little .25 than missing with a .44.

You will probably find a dozen guys that want to help you at the range. Guys love to teach women to shoot. Ignore most of that they say, as people have a hard time seperating what you need from what they want.

My home defense weapons are a roman cavalry sword and a 12 ga riot gun with no stock. Neither is likely a good idea for you.

Remeber, any trumps none, and well used trumps poorly used everytime.

All that said, if you go automatic, go .40 instead of 9mm. The recoil is not that different and the effect is much better.

Freya123
Freya123

February 7th, 2009, 6:29 pm #3

I do agree that a smaller caliber that I can shoot well is much more effective than one I can't control. Much more likely to hit my target.

You are so very right about people not being able to separate what I need from what they want. I think that's what happened with those guys who recommended the Judge. Way too much gun for me.

That's kewl that guys like to teach women how to shoot. Should make it fun. I will certainly take a course at the range once I've made my purchase. No point in having a gun if I can't shoot it. Plus, I have enjoyed shooting other peoples guns when I've had the opportunity.

Dennis
Dennis

February 7th, 2009, 8:48 pm #4

Many ranges will let you rent a gun to shoot. So go do that, and find what fits you. The practice with it.

Dont worry about a short barrel. Inside a house it wont make any difference. And besides, you are better off hitting with a little .25 than missing with a .44.

You will probably find a dozen guys that want to help you at the range. Guys love to teach women to shoot. Ignore most of that they say, as people have a hard time seperating what you need from what they want.

My home defense weapons are a roman cavalry sword and a 12 ga riot gun with no stock. Neither is likely a good idea for you.

All that said, if you go automatic, go .40 instead of 9mm. The recoil is not that different and the effect is much better.
I've got a bat. CB hasn't ever agreed to the need to keep a shotgun by the bed.

Have fun at the range Freya!

celtredleg
celtredleg

February 7th, 2009, 9:02 pm #5

The week we left they gangs shot it out 2 houses down from us. Her and the kids where sleeping, so they where low. I made sure they where not pointing directly at our house, and went back to reading Massies "Dreadnaught" That night we watched a news clip of it, and saw one of the assholes leaning over the hood of my car (a 1972 Nova that I had fully restored).

I have no trouble keeping a shotgun and my ruger .357 by the bed. And the sword, and a cool warhammer to for that matter. She just keeps her Main-gauche, at least until she finds a pistol that suits her.

mooster
mooster

February 7th, 2009, 9:03 pm #6

I do agree that a smaller caliber that I can shoot well is much more effective than one I can't control. Much more likely to hit my target.

You are so very right about people not being able to separate what I need from what they want. I think that's what happened with those guys who recommended the Judge. Way too much gun for me.

That's kewl that guys like to teach women how to shoot. Should make it fun. I will certainly take a course at the range once I've made my purchase. No point in having a gun if I can't shoot it. Plus, I have enjoyed shooting other peoples guns when I've had the opportunity.
Instead of a Roman Cavalry Sword, I have a Japanese Wakizashi - short and deadly. The best home defense unit is a short shotgun. You want the scatter and you don't want a long weapon while maneuvering through tight spots (hallways and such). I have a 'barely legal' 10 Gauge.

For a carry gun, the most knock-down for your buck is going to be a Glock 10mm. It's not just me saying that either. The Glock 20 is a magnificent piece of gun, and if you want a smaller size there is the Glock 29. Look into those. I want a 20 myself, but I inherited an M1911 and I haven't yet been able to justify replacing it. The money for the Glock I want won't give me that much more than the .45 I've got.

john
john

February 8th, 2009, 3:25 am #7

I've got a twelve gauge pump shotgun with a home defense barrel, full of No.6 birdshot. I've also got a basket hilt Claymore sword and a tri-cornered brown bess bayonet next to the bed, in its scabbard. I hope that I never have to use any of them, but there it is.

celtredleg
celtredleg

February 8th, 2009, 5:14 am #8

Is how much he agrees with you. I also use the birdshot. No chance of overpenetrating and killing a person next door. And birdshot under 15 feet will take the starch right out of anybody.

Freya123
Freya123

February 8th, 2009, 1:07 pm #9

If you don't have a gun, keep a laser pointer nearby. If someone breaks in and it's dark, point the laser pointer at their chest. They won't know you don't have a gun and it will scare the crap out of an intruder. Of course, hold the pointer away from your body as to not give the intruder your exact position to be target practice for them. So, until I purchase a gun, my home defense in a laser pointer and a golf club. Hehe

Dennis
Dennis

February 8th, 2009, 1:58 pm #10

A mashie, a niblick or a spoon?