Done been to another book sale....

Done been to another book sale....

Dennis
Dennis

May 6th, 2011, 8:51 pm #1

Not bad, picked up about a dozen including one I haven't read since high school, "Veeck as in Wreck!" One of the great characters of sport. I'd put him up there with Casey, Yogi, and Mr. Rooney.

Regards,
Dennis

Edit: Veeck has 2 E's!
Last edited by D1J1 on May 8th, 2011, 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Loki Luv, MD°
Loki Luv, MD°

May 8th, 2011, 4:16 am #2

`
Sadly, this time around, the selection seemed to me to be pretty much best used as kindling or landfill.

LoL

Dennis
Dennis

May 8th, 2011, 10:26 am #3

It seems to be getting harder to find some wheat amongst the chaff. The urge to buy a handgun and use it on the booksellers haunting the sales is also becoming harder to resist.

Now they're coming armed with a scanner that reads barcodes and gives them a value on the book instantly. They also have an irritating tendency to barge in on others and take up excessive amounts of space and obscure books you may be looking at while they spread theirs over top of them.

I'm branching into more areas and that helps. Now it isn't just history but a number of categories to stroll through.

I picked up a volume on the Bulge by an Eisenhower. I didn't need it, but thought that given the surname their might be some fun stuff vis-a-vis Monty in it.

Loki Luv, MD°
Loki Luv, MD°

May 8th, 2011, 2:19 pm #4

`
I didn't see any scanners in use, but a few people had those cell phone gizmos with the built in keyboards, and seemed to be looking for info on the internet whilst checking books. At first I thought they might be looking for plot summaries or reviews, and it occured to me damn - at 5 bucks for as many books as you can cram into a bag, the thing's likely costing you a quarter... ...just read the back cover blurb & take a chance !

I never thought about the fact that people might be gathering up wares for re-sale. Bastards.

The hell of it is, even while I was setting out for the place, I had a "gut feeling" that I should take a pass this time around & do something else, but went ahead anyway. No big loss, I suppose.

I did get a Kurt Vonnegut paperback and a copy of Plato's Republic for a dollar. A short perusal of the latter gives me cause to suspect it's pages might end up used to start the wood fire composed of several years worth fallen twigs & pruning debris I have piled up behind the shed once I finally decide to put my old charcoal BBQ grill to use.

Dennis
Dennis

May 8th, 2011, 11:21 pm #5

The re-sellers are a pain. They come early, swoop in like a pack of starving vultures at a mass extinction and frequently take out huge amounts of books. I saw one woman who had 4 very large cardboard boxes full of books on a dolly with two more big bags on top of that. Fortunately they were all paparbacks of the romance and mystery variety...neither of which interest me.

The ones that piss me off are the people who do the same on the history and biography tables. I really could use a handgun and silencer for them...either that or some souped-up electronic gizmo to make all their bar codes read wrong!!!

I enjoy watching the young parents hitting the kids books and buying oodles for their offspring to read. That makes me feel good!

I'm picking books to take on Road Trip '11 soon. One that will definitely go is a volume by George Carlin that I snagged at this sale. I passed on a novel by Jimmy Buffett, though I regret that now. All the volumes that make the trip will be pleasure reading. I don't think any political or history works will make the cut.

John
John

May 9th, 2011, 4:09 am #6

watching some slattern wench hoisting a cardboard box full of books onto her shoulder, before proceding to the check out cashier. Before she takes three steps, there is a muted. "thump" "thump" and she pitches over onto the floor. Dennis is soon seen standing over her spilled books, saying. "Wow, took at all these great historical books just lying there." As he picks up the best titles, a telltale whisp of gunsmoke rises from his shoulder holster.

Dennis
Dennis

May 10th, 2011, 12:59 am #7

The re-sellers are a pain. They come early, swoop in like a pack of starving vultures at a mass extinction and frequently take out huge amounts of books. I saw one woman who had 4 very large cardboard boxes full of books on a dolly with two more big bags on top of that. Fortunately they were all paparbacks of the romance and mystery variety...neither of which interest me.

The ones that piss me off are the people who do the same on the history and biography tables. I really could use a handgun and silencer for them...either that or some souped-up electronic gizmo to make all their bar codes read wrong!!!

I enjoy watching the young parents hitting the kids books and buying oodles for their offspring to read. That makes me feel good!

I'm picking books to take on Road Trip '11 soon. One that will definitely go is a volume by George Carlin that I snagged at this sale. I passed on a novel by Jimmy Buffett, though I regret that now. All the volumes that make the trip will be pleasure reading. I don't think any political or history works will make the cut.
Are added to the road trip list to go with Mr. Carlin. Yeah JB....dunno about the smoke though. That could get in my eyes while I'm rummaging through the books the poor, unfortunate deceased stole......I mean, unfortunately didn't get to prosper from!
Last edited by D1J1 on May 10th, 2011, 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

John
John

May 10th, 2011, 2:35 am #8

than Hunter Thompson and Garrison Keillor. Thompson was an absolutely rabid madman who regularly experimented with excesses of drugs and alcohol, which became the basis for his "Gonzo Journalism" style of writing. Keillor of course is that soft spoken guy from the Prarie Home Companion and Lake Woebegone radio show. You've got some good reading ahead of you, Dennis!

Loki Luv, MD°
Loki Luv, MD°

May 10th, 2011, 4:59 am #9

`
What a peculiar tale... ...sort of made one wish the Angel's request to be air-dropped into Vietnam as some sort of ad hoc "special forces" would have been granted, so they could have been exterminated to the last.

Dennis
Dennis

May 10th, 2011, 10:03 am #10

The one I picked up is "Better Than Sex." Yeah, on the Angels via para drop. They'd have lasted about 10 minutes.

The "lucky" few who survived would have probably been returned with all their tatoos "skun out."

"Throw the radio in with me Gonzo, I crave the juice!"