Anybody see the Transit of Venus today...?

Anybody see the Transit of Venus today...?

Loki Luv, MD°
Loki Luv, MD°

June 6th, 2012, 3:44 am #1

`
A friend of mine actually called me to let me know there was some sort of 'live feed' video of the thing being shown on a local TV station's web site.

I dunno... ...I know it was this 'once in a lifetime' thing, but I was busy putzing about outside & rather enjoying the fact that it hadn't turned out to be another rainy day after all. Plus, the vid clips I'd seen of the previous one - I think - consisted of a color-filtered sun with a black dot on it. Frankly, I wasn't impressed. I made it a point to get a look at that last comet that whizzed by us - Hale-Bopp, I think it was named. That was, at least visually striking. You could sort of see why large numbers of dumb-asses freaked out over such a thing back in Ye Olden Dayyes. This Transit thing, though... ...I mean - I could have bought an orange and made a black dot on it with a Sharpie marker and then looked at that held at arm's length and gotten as much out of it as the actual event. And I gawked for about a half-hour/45 minutes at Juitper through this chintzy-ass telescope I bought for twelve bucks off this web site commemorating Galileo's astronomical research by selling "chintz-o-scopes" with the same magnifying power as Galileo's. You could actually see the bands & Great Red Spot with this goddam thing, so help me. Even a number of Jupiter's moons. Hell - if I wasn't so damned lazy I might have already tried looking at Venus during some night with the damned thing. Can't see the excitement in some little black dot, though...

Dennis
Dennis

June 6th, 2012, 10:47 am #2

Didn't pay much attention. That kind of stuff isn't interesting to me.