Moderator: wolfbaneboy

What to do with Jungle, and Sword and Sandal...

taraco
Burgomaster
taraco
Burgomaster

May 11th, 2018, 2:39 pm #1

Some folks have noticed that I moved the 'All-Encompassing' Tarzan thread from the Off-Topic Forum to here at the Thrills and Chills Forum.

Thrills and Chills was intended to include serials, jungle films, 'adventure films,' and the like but over the years it has been mostly about serials.  Which is fine.

But where to put Tarzan and Sheena and Bomba and Jungle Jim?  And what about Hercules, Duel of the Titans, Macioste, Atlas and the rest of the peplum genre?

We could give Jungle and Sandal their own Forums.

But frankly I've been disappointed that the newly created Spy Forum is mostly about James Bond and the Western Forum is pretty quiet as well.  Two more specialty forums would likely not fare that much better.

Anyhow, open to ideas. There's almost no discussion at all of Tarzan or Sword and Sandal movies anywhere at the CHFB and that seems wrong as well.

david

rvoyttbots

May 11th, 2018, 2:59 pm #2

Have it all in the same forum: THRILLS AND CHILLS, SWORDS AND SANDALS, & JUNGLE ADVENTURES. Then have the forum placard change every few seconds from THRILLS AND CHILLS to SWORDS AND SANDALS to JUNGLE ADVENTURES. 

gene phillips

May 11th, 2018, 8:37 pm #3

Sounds like a good move to me. 

blufeld

May 12th, 2018, 5:18 pm #4

Seems to me we have some good discussions about peplum (in the 60s forum) and Tarzan (and less popular jungle people) in the Off Topic forum (which is not a good forum if you are looking find discussions on the ape man).  I found it by pure luck.  Maybe we need a forum for HEROES that would incorporate Peplum, Tarzan and jungle heroes with Bomba, The Phantom. Jungle Jim, etc. plus Zorro, Batman, Superman, etc.  I found a little discussion about Zorro. but mostly about the serials.  And I still Tyrone Power is too stoic to be Zorro.

will

May 12th, 2018, 6:11 pm #5

It is primarily a horror/science fiction forum. Spies, I assume the more realistic type isn't what the section is for, so that leaves you mainly with James Bond. Westerns, the title suggests weird ones, although there has been discussion of mainstream ones. But most of us here are probably not hardcore enough fans to give obscure westerns the kind of attention horror ones can get. Some sections are just not going to be too busy. Maybe retitling the serial one so it includes jungle, swashbucklers, and the rest of it would do the trick.

taraco
Burgomaster
taraco
Burgomaster

May 12th, 2018, 9:15 pm #6

>>It is primarily a horror/science fiction forum.

Agree. The reason I expressed disappointment about the new Spies and Westerns forums was they were added after considerable pressure from some members.

There's no harm in having them -- I think the 'Discussions' view has alleviated the need to scroll through multiple Forums -- but results were less than expected.

david

May 12th, 2018, 9:53 pm #7

FWIW i like the Spies forum, and would love to see Jungle and Peplum forums as well. Even if they aren't as busy as you would like, it makes it easier to find related threads.
..."Do you care if I smoke?" ... " I don't care if you burn."

taraco
Burgomaster
taraco
Burgomaster

May 12th, 2018, 10:55 pm #8

Good input, Mirakle. Thanks.

telegonus

June 9th, 2018, 6:55 pm #9

Name change? Jungle-Peplum-Action maybe. Some general rubric so as to emphasize the time period change. How many 20th-21st century set sword and sandal pictures are they? In the studio days Tarzan pictures could be contemporary. Not now. Nowadays, if for some crazy reason Foreign Legion pictures were to come back into fashion they'd have to be done in period, if made in the Beau Geste manner. that is. A "desert sands" type picture, featuring sheiks and the like didn't have to be set in the past back when Rudolph Valentino was starring in them during the silent era; nowadays, even with the notion that they could be made at all in our p.c.time being ridiculous, if they were to come back, they'd have to be set a good century in the past. Swashbucklers are the same. Not modern, whether it's pirates or the Three Musketeers. Yet the 1935 MGM Clark Gable pic China Seas was modern and action-adventure, and it featured pirates, too. The 1949 John Payne high seas adventure Captain China was also contemporary. I think it's fair to say that neither of these films could be made today if set in our time.