What's your opinion on the DAIMAJIN Trilogy?

siciliano66

5:16 PM - Mar 23, 2014 #1

Funny, but i never knew these existed until recently. I watched all three films and I must say the production values, Special Effects and story are quite good for 1966. They do stand out from other giant Kaiju films as the Monster makes his appearance only during the final segment of each film. What do you think of these films? Do you think they stand out as classics even today?

1966 brought us the DAIMAJIN trilogy...

SAM33

6:35 PM - Mar 23, 2014 #2

I love them, I think they are beautifully moody and as you say have quite good effects.

You can find a lot more discussion here:
http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum.yuk ... ray?page=1

SAM33

countplastica

8:08 PM - Mar 23, 2014 #3

The only Japanese monster flick (besides the mushroom folks) to scare me as a kid. Would like to see it redone in the same mode, and with the same mood that Sam notes.

kochillt

9:16 PM - Mar 23, 2014 #4

Only the first two saw release on US television (AIP-TV)- MAJIN, THE MONSTER OF TERROR and RETURN OF GIANT MAJIN. the third never saw release here until 2005. Pittsburgh's Chiller Theater aired MAJIN in 1969, RETURN in 1974, and never again, so when I acquired nearly all of Chilly Billy's 647 titles, I finally caught up with them. The character really is worshipped as a god, and when things look bleakest, majestic Majin (pronounced Mah-Jeen) arises and punishes the villains. Even for those well steeped in Japanese monsters, Majin was different and very impressive, but little seen over the years.

EdWainwright
EdWainwright

2:25 AM - Mar 24, 2014 #5

I love the Majin series, especially the first film. All three feature some of the best effects I've ever seen in a kaiju eiga movie, and the always appropriate ways that Majin doles out justice to the various villains are inspired.

SAM33

7:44 PM - Mar 24, 2014 #6

kochillt wrote:
Only the first two saw release on US television (AIP-TV)- MAJIN, THE MONSTER OF TERROR and RETURN OF GIANT MAJIN. the third never saw release here until 2005. Pittsburgh's Chiller Theater aired MAJIN in 1969, RETURN in 1974, and never again, so when I acquired nearly all of Chilly Billy's 647 titles, I finally caught up with them. The character really is worshipped as a god, and when things look bleakest, majestic Majin (pronounced Mah-Jeen) arises and punishes the villains. Even for those well steeped in Japanese monsters, Majin was different and very impressive, but little seen over the years.
Hey kochillt -
I too grew up in the Pittsburgh area and was a Chiller fan.
I have of course seen the web site that lists what ran when, but is that all inclusive? Do you know of an alphabetized list of the titles?
That would be something I'd love to have if it exists.

SAM33

Godziwolf

10:17 PM - Mar 24, 2014 #7

siciliano66 wrote:
Funny, but i never knew these existed until recently. I watched all three films and I must say the production values, Special Effects and story are quite good for 1966. They do stand out from other giant Kaiju films as the Monster makes his appearance only during the final segment of each film. What do you think of these films? Do you think they stand out as classics even today?

1966 brought us the DAIMAJIN trilogy...
They hold up pretty well, although the 3rd entry has a very uneven tone. These play more like samurai films until the end.

Consider looking out for Pulgasari if you like the structure. That deals with a lot of the same themes as Daimajin, except in a communist ideology. Mainly -- once your vengeful god appears, how do you make him go back home?

KAIJUG
KAIJUG

4:24 PM - Mar 30, 2014 #8

Listening to the Ifukube score in the first film, I hear a mixture of the theme from "Atragon" and "Frankenstein Conquers The World".

4:35 PM - Sep 30, 2018 #9

Recently got these on DVD after not seeing them since childhood and I have to say that I was very happy to note that the quality and craftmanship that was obviously put into this trilogy back then, still holds up now.

davebalme

11:23 AM - Oct 11, 2018 #10

Although I'd read a lot about them (most recently I think in Tim Paxton's excellent Monster) I had never seen these until I bought the trilogy DVD boxset recently. Although the latter two films are not as strong/good as the first all three are extremely enjoyable and remarkably well made for their age. Well worth tracking down. 

evilskippy

6:48 PM - Oct 15, 2018 #11

I have the bd set and only watched them once. From what I recall, these were drop dead gorgeous prints. Rather slow going until the big guy shows up IIRC. Going to have to give them another spin.
"Excuse me while I whip this out".

CHEROKEEBRUCE

7:10 AM - Oct 16, 2018 #12