War-Gods of the Deep (1965)

From Price and Poe to Night of the Living Dead.

War-Gods of the Deep (1965)

taraco
Burgomaster
taraco
Burgomaster

August 10th, 2018, 8:19 pm #1

It's always interesting to check back on the Saturday matinee movies of the late 1950s and 1960s, especially the more 'prestigious' ones in color.

WAR-GODS OF THE DEEP was on MGM HD last night, starring a hammy but classy Vincent Price, an absolutely wooden Tab Hunter, and a vivacious Susan Hart in a tale loosely based on Poe's City by the Sea. Directed by Jacques Tourneur, no less, with screenplay by Charles Bennett and Louis Heyward.

Price shows again that he can rise above any material, commanding the screen in a way very few actors can achieve. Tab Hunter, on the other hand, is so bad that it's a wonder he wasn't replaced. Hunter's mawkish character is especially vulnerable when surrounded by seasoned pros like Price, David Tomlinson and Jacques Le Mesurier. Even Herbert the Chicken out acts poor Tab.

The film is the usual mad genius holding everyone hostage, and is quite a lot of fun until the endless struggles under the sea between masked Mermen and the heroes.  The final scenes of underwater destruction apparently were from Toho's ATRAGON.

Gotta say, I kinda liked it!

david
Lo! Death has reared himself a throne
In a strange city lying alone
Far down within the dim West,
Where the good and the bad and the worst and the best
Have gone to their eternal rest.

Ardeth Bay

August 10th, 2018, 8:21 pm #2

All things Tab Hunter....

Cheers!
"He-He-He went for a little walk! You should have seen his face!" - (former Egyptologist Ralph Norton)

TomWeaver999

August 11th, 2018, 1:54 am #3

Tab Hunter, on the other hand, is so bad that it's a wonder he wasn't replaced. <<

AIP initially had George Chakiris lined up for that part, but Susan Hart liked Tab Hunter (her RIDE THE WILD SURF castmate) so much, she practically begged her hubby James H. Nicholson to give Tab the job.

rvoyttbots

August 11th, 2018, 1:59 am #4

Supposed to be a city down there but, what, is there like 4-people? Never cared for this one.

Jameselliot

August 11th, 2018, 2:01 am #5

The print MGM presented was extraordinary, really beautiful. I found it incredibly boring and slow although Vincent Price is always entertaining.

Rick

August 11th, 2018, 2:07 am #6

I saw it in the theater and, if I ever walked out on movies (I don't), I don't think I'd have lasted ten minutes with this one. "Incredibly boring" is incredibly accurate.
“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
~ Douglas Adams, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

August 11th, 2018, 4:12 am #7

I recorded it and am watching it right now. Haven't seen it in quite a while.

Masque of the Red Death it ain't. Still a lot of fun though, and it has a great title.

Despite its obvious flaws, it's still worth watching I think.

Kosmo13

August 11th, 2018, 12:07 pm #8

when surrounded by seasoned pros like Price, David Tomlinson and Jacques Le Mesurier. Even Herbert the Chicken out acts poor Tab.

Is that John Le Mesurier?