WANTED: Suggest 2017 nominees for the (Gasp!) 16th Annual Rondo Awards ...

taraco
Burgomaster
taraco
Burgomaster

January 10th, 2018, 7:09 pm #1

Voting for the (believe it or not) 16th Annual Rondo Hatton Awards will begin in late February.

But we need your help now in suggesting potential nominees. Not everything posted here will automatically make the ballot, but this is a great place to give your favorites a boost.

All suggestions should be from calendar year 2017.

So from Best Books and Articles to Best Commentaries, Best Websites, Best Podcasts, Best Conventions, Best DVD Extras, Best Restorations, Best TV shows, Best Covers, Best CDs, Best Toys and more, let us know here.

rondorow.jpg

And thanks, as always!

david

January 10th, 2018, 7:26 pm #2

How about Tom Weaver's (Schecter, Kronenberg, Kiss) UNIVERSAL TERRORS for best book? I'm only halfway through it, but it's a pretty obvious candidate - well worth the wait!
Last edited by MacXoftheMounted on January 11th, 2018, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacXoftheMounted.....................formerly known as Professor Von X

taraco
Burgomaster
taraco
Burgomaster

January 11th, 2018, 2:45 am #3

Tom who?

Rick

January 11th, 2018, 2:49 am #4

Just to start off on the right foot, it's UNIVERSAL TERRORS, not HORRORS.

Not sure what category it would fit into..."event"?...probably not. But I'd love to see the Farewell issue of Video Watchdog get some sort of notice.

GET OUT
THE SHAPE OF WATER

...guess those are more than obvious...
“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
~ Douglas Adams, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

January 11th, 2018, 2:47 pm #5

Terrors... I stand corrected... and suitably horrified at my error!
MacXoftheMounted.....................formerly known as Professor Von X

rvoyttbots

January 11th, 2018, 6:55 pm #6

Rick`s FIFTY YEARS AGO TODAY blog.

Wolfman Joe

January 11th, 2018, 7:15 pm #7

Monster Kid(s) of the Year - the fine folks who assisted with the CHFB migration to Tapatalk & who worked so diligently to get the bugs out afterwards!

Wolfman Joe

January 11th, 2018, 7:33 pm #8

Taraco, would you be kind enough to remind us again of all of the inductees already in the Monster Kid Hall of Fame? Thanks!

taraco
Burgomaster
taraco
Burgomaster

January 11th, 2018, 8:12 pm #9

ALREADY INDUCTED INTO THE MONSTER KID HALL OF FAME ARE:

Forrest J Ackerman, Julie Adams, Rick Baker, James Bama, Calvin Beck, Stephen Bissette, Paul and Jackie Blaisdell, Ray Bradbury, Bob and Kathy Burns, Bill Cardille, Ben Chapman, Frederick S. Clarke, Jim and Marian Clatterbaugh, Roger Corman, Joe Dante, Jack Davis, David Del Valle, Gary Dorst, Dennis Druktenis, William K. Everson,, Mark Frank, Frank Frazetta, Bob Furmanek, Ghoulardi, Don Glut, Basil Gogos, Archie Goodwin, Alex and Richard Gordon, Count Gore De Vol, Ray Harryhausen, Del and Sue Howison, Cortlandt Hull, Larry Ivie, Sara Karloff, Ken Kelly, Dick Klemensen, Verne Langdon, JD Lees, Bob Lemon, Jessie Lilley, Lux Interior, Tim and Donna Lucas, Gregory Mank, Jose Mojica Marins (Coffin Joe), Ray Meyers, Morgus, Ted Newsom, Paul Naschy, Bobby 'Boris' Pickett, Don Post Studio, Mark Redfield, Gary Don Rhodes, German Robles, George A. Romero, Ed 'Big Daddy' Roth, Vince Rotolo, David J. Skal, Richard Harland Smith, John Stanley, Michael Stein, Bhob Stewart, William Stout, George Stover, Gary and Sue Svehla, Sammy Terry, Vampira, Steve Vertlieb, Dennis Vincent, Mike Vraney, Bill Warren, James Warren, Tom Weaver, Michael Weldon, Bob Wilkins, Bernie Wrightson, and, of course, Zacherley

taraco
Burgomaster
taraco
Burgomaster

January 11th, 2018, 8:18 pm #10

Note: Many people ask why no Karloff or Lugosi or Price, etc.

The Monster Kid Hall of Fame is intended to honor those who came after the 'first wave' of horror stars, boosting and expanding the genre and the hobby.

Wolfman Joe

January 12th, 2018, 2:41 pm #11

Some suggestions for Monster Kid Hall of Fame:

The late Chris Steinbrunner: author, producer of "Zacherle at Large", and, most importantly to Monster Kids, the WWOR channel programmer who gave us "Fright Night" and giant ape movies on Thanksgiving. A generation of East Coast monster fans owes him a debt of gratitude.

Author Daniel Cohen, whose kid-targeted books about mysteries and monsters (of both the movie and allegedly-real varieties) spooked and delighted an untold number of young readers, keeping us watching the movies and watching the skies!

Filmmaker, monster collector and fan extraordinaire Guillermo del Toro, who makes great movies and does lots of fanboy stuff to better the horror community - he just won a Golden Globe, we need to reintegrate him back into the fold before he goes mainstream on us!

Bob Martin - with Fangoria's passing last year, now is a perfect time to honor the mag's first editor, who brought horror publications into the modern age and gave them back an edge they sorely needed - reading Fango in the early years seemed subversive and dangerous.

Tony Timpone, editor - who steered Fango so well for so many years after Bob, with amazing energy and enthusiasm, and who never let the magazine forget horror's roots while covering the new films of the day.

Maybe some more to follow...

yendor1152

January 12th, 2018, 3:29 pm #12

Wolfman Joe wrote: Some suggestions for Monster Kid Hall of Fame:

The late Chris Steinbrunner: author, producer of "Zacherle at Large", and, most importantly to Monster Kids, the WWOR channel programmer who gave us "Fright Night" and giant ape movies on Thanksgiving. A generation of East Coast monster fans owes him a debt of gratitude.

Author Daniel Cohen, whose kid-targeted books about mysteries and monsters (of both the movie and allegedly-real varieties) spooked and delighted an untold number of young readers, keeping us watching the movies and watching the skies!

Filmmaker, monster collector and fan extraordinaire Guillermo del Toro, who makes great movies and does lots of fanboy stuff to better the horror community - he just won a Golden Globe, we need to reintegrate him back into the fold before he goes mainstream on us!

Bob Martin - with Fangoria's passing last year, now is a perfect time to honor the mag's first editor, who brought horror publications into the modern age and gave them back an edge they sorely needed - reading Fango in the early years seemed subversive and dangerous.

Tony Timpone, editor - who steered Fango so well for so many years after Bob, with amazing energy and enthusiasm, and who never let the magazine forget horror's roots while covering the new films of the day.

Maybe some more to follow...
Definitely second the nominations for Bob Martin and Tony Timpone. Tony, especially, had a long and healthy run as Fangoria's editor, and he started as a young man.

For Monster Kid Hall of Fame, I'd nominate Eddie Driscoll, who passed away in 2006. Eddie was a local TV personality from WLBZ in Bangor, Maine, and for years, he entertained monster kids with such fare as "Shock Theater," "Weird," "The Suppertime Supershow" and "My Back Yard" (starring his own creation, Mason Mutt, the puppet).Shock Theater was the first show in Maine to show the Universal Classics, and Eddie hosted as "Moldy," keeper of the crypt. The show was renamed "Weird" in 1962, an Eddie kept it going for five years--hosting as "Krandall," a three-eyed martian and "Uncle Gorey," who lived in a tomb and had a skeleton manacled to the wall. Energetic, entertaining, imaginative, and hilarious, Eddie was one in a million. I'd love to see him at least nominated. Thanks!
Aren't signatures annoying?

Wich2

January 12th, 2018, 5:13 pm #13

rvoyttbots wrote: Rick`s FIFTY YEARS AGO TODAY blog.
Ditto. And -

Comics: Craig Yoe's affordable Pre-Code Horror Comix reprint lines.

pfassel
pfassel

January 12th, 2018, 8:21 pm #14

Ah, that time of year when I come out of my hole to shamelessly self promote...

I'd like to nominate myself and my colleague Pennie Sublime for best interview for our Cenobite roundtable in Issue 179 of Rue Morgue. This was a unique opportunity because while we pitched the idea to RM, we had to individually track down and make contact with each of the actors-- a feat that Pennie accomplished with the help of none other than Barbie Wilde! (Would also like to nominate Issue 179 for best cover-- damn!)

On the topic of interviews, I'd also like to nominate the career retrospective I did with Kelli Maroney of Chopping Mall and Night of the Comet fame over on Cinedump.com (itself a good nominee for best website/blog)-- http://www.cinedump.com/interviews/2017 ... roney-2017

I'd also like to nominate my piece on Oakley Court in Issue 175 of Rue Morgue for best article. To my knowledge no other story on Oakley published in a horror outlet in the past has been put together with the cooperation of Oakley itself, and I was lucky enough not just to visit the location myself for research purposes, but get a tour from their hospitality director/local historian, who was instrumental in helping me tell its story.

I'd also like to nominate two articles I wrote for the genre blog heardtell.com (yet another good nominee for best website/blog)-- the first is "Less is More: On the Need for a Return to Generic Horror," available to read here: https://www.heardtell.com/movies-and-tv ... ric-horror

As well as "One of the Smartest Scenes in Horror (is in an 80s Slasher Movie)" available to read here: https://www.heardtell.com/movies-and-tv ... her-horror

I'm very proud of both of them, and both have gotten a lot of positive feedback since they went live last Summer/Fall-- in fact, the former has remained one of the top four most read articles on the page for the past five months!

evilskippy

January 13th, 2018, 12:35 am #15

Blu ray release of the year (## also best restoration)
THE VAMPIRE'S GHOST(Olive Films) ##
WEB OF THE SPIDER-(Garagehouse Pictures)##
THE VAMPIRE BAT-(Film Detective) ##
DEATHDREAM_(Blue Underground)
CITY OF THE DEAD aka HORROR HOTEL-(Arrow)
KILL BABY KILL( Kino or Arrow)
"Excuse me while I whip this out".

January 13th, 2018, 8:00 pm #16

taraco wrote: ALREADY INDUCTED INTO THE MONSTER KID HALL OF FAME ARE:

Forrest J Ackerman, Julie Adams, Rick Baker, James Bama, Calvin Beck, Stephen Bissette, Paul and Jackie Blaisdell, Ray Bradbury, Bob and Kathy Burns, Bill Cardille, Ben Chapman, Frederick S. Clarke, Jim and Marian Clatterbaugh, Roger Corman, Joe Dante, Jack Davis, David Del Valle, Gary Dorst, Dennis Druktenis, William K. Everson,, Mark Frank, Frank Frazetta, Bob Furmanek, Ghoulardi, Don Glut, Basil Gogos, Archie Goodwin, Alex and Richard Gordon, Count Gore De Vol, Ray Harryhausen, Del and Sue Howison, Cortlandt Hull, Larry Ivie, Sara Karloff, Ken Kelly, Dick Klemensen, Verne Langdon, JD Lees, Bob Lemon, Jessie Lilley, Lux Interior, Tim and Donna Lucas, Gregory Mank, Jose Mojica Marins (Coffin Joe), Ray Meyers, Morgus, Ted Newsom, Paul Naschy, Bobby 'Boris' Pickett, Don Post Studio, Mark Redfield, Gary Don Rhodes, German Robles, George A. Romero, Ed 'Big Daddy' Roth, Vince Rotolo, David J. Skal, Richard Harland Smith, John Stanley, Michael Stein, Bhob Stewart, William Stout, George Stover, Gary and Sue Svehla, Sammy Terry, Vampira, Steve Vertlieb, Dennis Vincent, Mike Vraney, Bill Warren, James Warren, Tom Weaver, Michael Weldon, Bob Wilkins, Bernie Wrightson, and, of course, Zacherley
I would like to see Ricou Browning and Millicent Patrick added to this honor roll.

GG Pan
GG Pan

January 13th, 2018, 9:55 pm #17

Overall Blu-ray: THE RESURRECTED (Scream Factory)

I think its assortment of extras makes it the most well-rounded disc of a Lovecraft adaptation so far. I'm pleased that one of these Lovecraftian Blu-rays feature an expert from the literary world to contribute a well-informed interview. I guess I'll suggest from this release:

BEST EXTRA: The Strange Case of Charles Dexter Ward – an interview with S.T. Joshi, author of I Am Providence: The Life and Times of H.P. Lovecraft

A much more satisfying release for Lovecraft fans than THE CURSE & DIE MONSTER DIE! 

BEST BOOK: We Are The Martians: The Legacy of Nigel Kneale (edited by Neil Snowdon, PS Publishing, publication date listed as June 2017: http://www.pspublishing.co.uk/we-are-th ... 4286-p.asp )

GG Pan
GG Pan

January 13th, 2018, 10:27 pm #18

Do alternate cuts of films count as "extras"? I'm thinking Synapse including the CREEPERS edit on their PHENOMENA Blu-ray. I finally got around to my CALTIKI disc and the full-matted version appeared under Bonus Features. Speaking of CALTIKI, how about:

*BEST COMMENTARY - Tim Lucas (CALTIKI)

mfrank1
mfrank1

January 14th, 2018, 6:22 pm #19

For Monster Kid Hall of Fame, I second (or is it third) Tony Timpone.  Would also suggest Dan Scapperotti, a writer for Fred Clarke's magazines such as Cinefantastique and Femme Fatales for many years.  And Mark Thomas McGee, one of Forry's original monster kid friends, screenwriter for a number of films (including EQUINOX) and author of several books (including "You Won't Believe Your Eyes" and "The Films of Robert L. Lippert").  Lastly, old friend Steve Vertlieb's article on Robert Bloch ("The Clown at Midnight") for the Thunder Child is worth a nod.

pfassel
pfassel

January 15th, 2018, 2:26 am #20

Is it overkill at this point to mention Tony Timpone?

I also want to throw several other names into the ring:

First I'd like to nominate the ceaselessly talented Les Lee Moore as the Writer of the Year for her fantastic body of work, nominally for Diabolique and available to review here: https://diaboliquemagazine.com/author/lessleemoore/

Next is Jason Coffman, a man who I'd call one of the best film writers out there today. If you've never read one of his articles, you must, and a good one to start with-- and one I'd like to nominate-- is his look at the Howling series: 

Last-- and by NO means least-- I'd also like to nominate the incomparable Izzy Lee for Writer of the Year, as well. She's a woman of rare and extraordinary talent not just in the writing sphere but also as a director. Her work has appeared in Diabolique, on Birth.Movies.Death, and ScreenAnarchy, and if you haven't read one of her articles or seen one of her shorts I highly advise you to go check one of them out right now. Any one of her pieces would also make for a fantastic Article or Interview of the Year nomination as well, and I've offered up a slew of them for review below:

http://screenanarchy.com/globalvoices/m ... y-galgana/

All three are individuals of fantastic capability, dedication, and drive, and have done immeasurable good for the horror community. If nothing else, they all deserve at least a nomination.