FAMOUS MONSTERS #290 (the 2018 annual)

taraco
Burgomaster
taraco
Burgomaster

4:52 PM - Oct 10, 2018 #1

Picked up FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND #290, the giant-sized 196-page 2018 annual.

Two covers are featured, both by Sanjulian:
PreviewsOCT18_FamousMonsters290_Annual_Kong_Newsstand_proof__41406.1534794160.500.750.jpg STL094651.jpg
The cover price is $24.95, down from last year's $29.95.

The new articles are almost all anniversary related: Frankenstein at 200, King Kong at 85, Night of the Living Dead at 50, Invasion of the Body Snatchers remake at 40, Rosemary's Baby, Piranha, Blade, They Live, Ringu, Jurassic Park at 25, Hellbound, Sleepaway Camp, Planet of the Apes, : etc.

Like last time, there are several FM classic articles reprinted: 'The Revenge of the Creature' from FM #5; 'The Man Behind the Monster' (Jack Pierce), from FM #55; 'Animals, Creatures and Things,' from FM #55, a pun-laden roundup of monster movie titles that reads like Forry on acid; and 'Tyrannosaurus Wrecks' from FM #160 (a more factual survey of dino-films by Deborah Painter!).

At almost 200 pages, it's squarebound and nicely presented.

david

thehorrorboy

9:16 PM - Oct 10, 2018 #2

The covers are beautiful.  Even better... they're NOT mutilated by bar codes!!!

omac
omac

10:24 PM - Oct 10, 2018 #3

David,
In your opinion, was it worth the money?

taraco
Burgomaster
taraco
Burgomaster

3:23 AM - Oct 11, 2018 #4

Worth $25? Technically yes, especially in comparison with other magazines. This is a thick magazine, and there's lots of original writing and reporting: Interviews with Ricou Browning, legendary cameraman Mike Ferris, NOLTD alumni, William Lustig, and some very nice photo reproduction. The amount of reprints is minimal, just a few quick reminders of FM's roots.

On the other hand, $25 is $25, not within everyone's budget. Last year's issue at $29.95 was a success financially, and now they've done another one at a lower price.

The B&N I went to had five on display; be interesting to see how m,any remain next time I visit.

david

Rodster

4:28 PM - Oct 12, 2018 #5

Hmm. Well, I gotta say, I won't be forking out $25.00 for a magazine when I could buy a hardcover book for less. If this is the wave of the future--annuals or semi-annuals (as in Fangoria's case), with a hefty pricetag attached--I'll very gracefully bow out. And frankly, I don't like the idea of reprints. We had enough of those back in the day, but at least we only had to cough up half a buck for them. 

I wish Famous Monsters luck in this endeavor, and the same for Fangoria. I stopped reading both years ago, anyway, so I'm not directly impacted by their editorial decisions. By the way, is Phil Kim still the guiding force behind FM? 

Crow T Robot

6:50 PM - Oct 12, 2018 #6

Rodster wrote: Hmm. Well, I gotta say, I won't be forking out $25.00 for a magazine when I could buy a hardcover book for less. If this is the wave of the future--annuals or semi-annuals (as in Fangoria's case), with a hefty pricetag attached--I'll very gracefully bow out. And frankly, I don't like the idea of reprints. We had enough of those back in the day, but at least we only had to cough up half a buck for them. 

I wish Famous Monsters luck in this endeavor, and the same for Fangoria. I stopped reading both years ago, anyway, so I'm not directly impacted by their editorial decisions. By the way, is Phil Kim still the guiding force behind FM? 
Shhhhhhhh....

I LOVE reprints!!!  

JohnMGM

5:57 PM - Oct 16, 2018 #7

I ordered a copy from Creepy Classics and honestly--I wish I would have skipped it.

HammerFilmFan

11:07 PM - Oct 16, 2018 #8

JohnMGM wrote: I ordered a copy from Creepy Classics and honestly--I wish I would have skipped it.
Why? Just curious. Myself, when I skimmed through a copy at B&N, articles seemed awfully short - not something I'm into, personally.
The best horror film mag currently being published, IMO....... The Dark Side

http://www.thedarksidemagazine.com/

riotengine

6:51 AM - Oct 17, 2018 #9

taraco wrote: Worth $25? Technically yes, especially in comparison with other magazines. This is a thick magazine, and there's lots of original writing and reporting: Interviews with Ricou Browning, legendary cameraman Mike Ferris, NOLTD alumni, William Lustig, and some very nice photo reproduction. The amount of reprints is minimal, just a few quick reminders of FM's roots.

On the other hand, $25 is $25, not within everyone's budget. Last year's issue at $29.95 was a success financially, and now they've done another one at a lower price.

The B&N I went to had five on display; be interesting to see how m,any remain next time I visit.

david
I just got my contributor's copy in the mail. Had a lot of fun writing my Piranha piece. Hope people like it. I did get the Kong cover, but I will have to buy a copy of the Bride Of Frankenstein cover.
Last edited by riotengine on 6:54 AM - Oct 17, 2018, edited 1 time in total.
GREG ESPINOZA

"I made it possible for you to come here! I welcomed you to this Earth, you made it a charnel house!" 

https://www.facebook.com/greg.espinoza.9

riotengine

6:52 AM - Oct 17, 2018 #10

Rodster wrote:

Yes. Phil is still running the show.
GREG ESPINOZA

"I made it possible for you to come here! I welcomed you to this Earth, you made it a charnel house!" 

https://www.facebook.com/greg.espinoza.9

JohnMGM

3:50 PM - Oct 17, 2018 #11

HammerFilmFan wrote:
JohnMGM wrote: I ordered a copy from Creepy Classics and honestly--I wish I would have skipped it.
Why? Just curious. Myself, when I skimmed through a copy at B&N, articles seemed awfully short - not something I'm into, personally.
I have not read all the articles yet, but appears to mostly consist of short, superficial stuff (I have not read the Piranha article yet). I expect more for $20 and if I would have seen it at B&N and flipped through it I would have given it a pass.