taraco
Burgomaster
taraco
Burgomaster

July 4th, 2018, 3:45 am #1

Here's the cover and info on MONSTER! #33, back after a long layoff:
monster33.jpg

The description on Amazon:

BEHOLD, NOT UNLIKE THE ETERNAL DRACULA, MONSTER! HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE TO TERRORIZE YOU ANEW!

After more than a year hiatus, MONSTER! is finally back with our bumper 33rd issue, the biggest one yet at 370 heavily-illustrated pages.

This inch-thick behemoth comes fully-loaded with a wide variety of articles and movie reviews on the zine's unifying theme: MONSTERS!

We've got Daniel Best's "The Mummy in Australia", which covers the history of Universal's Imhotep / Kharis series Down Under; Dana Marie Andra's "Inside THE OUTER LIMITS: Interviews with OL Alumni Harlan Ellison & Robert Culp"; Stephen Jilks' "Channel of Darkness: DOCTOR WHO & the BBC's Gothic Horrors of the 1970s"; Stephen R. Bissette's "Anarchy & Monsters: The Brett Piper Interview (Parts 2 & 3 [of 6])"; Dan Ross' "NATIONAL KID: The 'Superman' of Japan", a retrospective of the vintage tokusatsu superhero teleseries; John Harrison's "Monster Magazines That Time Forgot: Poster Mags", including an interview with MONSTER MAG's Dez Skinn; Neil D'Silva's "LAPACHHAPI: A Real Game-Changer for Indian Horror Cinema!" including an interview with its director Vishal Furia; and Mike Hauss' "Keys to the House: Turning Experimentation into Expression!" an analysis of Nobuhiko Obayashi's unique 1977 Japanese horror-fantasy movie HAUSU; and Christos Mouroukis' "Return of My Monster Movie Marathon Diary: Godzilla A Go-Go!"; plus oodles of creature feature reviews, original art contributions, detailed video availability information about the movies covered, and all sorts of other ghoulish goodies besides!

This ish's contributors also include: Alex Wald, Marcio Costa, Dennis Capicik, Martin Nunez, Mark Nelson, Jeff Goodhartz, Sebastien Godin, Andy Ross, Eric Messina, Les Moore, Mongo McGillicutty, Heather Paxton, Tim Paxton, and Steve Fenton.

Rick

July 4th, 2018, 4:06 am #2

Got it, haven't read it yet. This is the Monster Kid, digest-sized version of the VOGUE September issue. Durn thing weighs a ton. Gonna need a couple months free to read it. Good thing I'm retired.
“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
~ Douglas Adams, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

ryanbrennan

July 4th, 2018, 5:11 am #3

I really liked the first part of the Bret Piper interview.  Guess I'll have to buy this and the next couple of issues to get the whole thing.

HalLane

July 4th, 2018, 11:21 am #4

taraco wrote:

The description on Amazon:

...Dana Marie Andra's "Inside THE OUTER LIMITS: Interviews with OL Alumni Harlan Ellison & Robert Culp"....
Both sadly gone now. Sounds fascinating.

wolfboy54

July 4th, 2018, 12:44 pm #5

I just ordered it, myself. Really looking forward to it. MONSTER!  is the mag I have to dive into as soon as I get it, the same way I did with VIDEO WATCHDOG. I know returning to monthly publication is too much to ask for, but I hope Tim Paxton finds a way to get it back onto a regular schedule of some sort. Really missed it in its absence.

Godziwolf

July 5th, 2018, 8:23 pm #6

Rick wrote: This is the Monster Kid, digest-sized version of the VOGUE September issue.
It reeks of perfume samples?

SanzarQ

July 10th, 2018, 6:38 pm #7

MONSTER is ALWAYS a fun read. I have a complete set of their earlier run in the 80's as well as the current reincarnation.  Indispensable!!