Reports from MONSTERPALOOZA 2018

Classic horror news, convention reports and events.

Reports from MONSTERPALOOZA 2018

taraco
Burgomaster
taraco
Burgomaster

April 14th, 2018, 1:32 pm #1

We are here in Pasadena for MONSTERPALOOZA 2018, the 10th anniversary of the giant horror makeup and effects show that gets bigger each year.

Friday night is the easiest time to navigate; Saturday will be madness! Already we've seen Sara Karloff, Bela Jr., sculptor Casey Wong, Frank Dietz, Michael Schlesinger, Brian Kallenberg, Palooza Master Eliot Brodsky, David Del Valle, Scary Monsters' Don and Vicki Smeraldi, Mike Hill and the show has barely begun.

Some photos:

This is SHAPE OF WATER creature designer and Rondo Monster Kid Hall of Fame inductee Mike Hill with his latest work, a recreation of little Maria encountering the Monster. It is completely amazing. Mike says he photographed the eyes of Marilyn Harris' son to get the eyes of the Maria right. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg More from the show.

image.jpeg That's Eileen and I with Nell Campbell, who of course played the tap-dancing 'Little Nell' in ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW. Patricia Quinn (Columbia), is also expected but was ill on Friday. 'Just a step to the left!'

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Those last two (Phantom and Forry), by Casey Wong.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

taraco
Burgomaster
taraco
Burgomaster

April 14th, 2018, 1:56 pm #2

Here is a quick shot of Corey Feldman, who is here with two giant bodyguards after a stabbing incident recently. He had huge lines to get $50 autographs.

image.jpeg

taraco
Burgomaster
taraco
Burgomaster

April 14th, 2018, 2:03 pm #3

Friday's highlight for me was the screening of BRIDE OF FINKLESTEIN. a short comedy parody featuring the duo of Biffle and Shooster.  

Here director Michael Schlesinger explains that doctors said Bob Burns should not play a gorilla at his age, so Oscar winner Chris Walas did the ape honors. Hilarious spoof! image.jpeg

taraco
Burgomaster
taraco
Burgomaster

April 14th, 2018, 2:05 pm #4

If these photos are too large I'm trying to do this on an iPad mini. I'll try to resize when I can (500-600 pixels wide usually best).

Anyhow, Saturday's rosy dawn in Pasadena. More later, including Elvira getting her Hall of Fame award.

April 14th, 2018, 3:06 pm #5

taraco wrote:If these photos are too large I'm trying to do this on an iPad mini. I'll try to resize when I can (500-600 pixels wide usually best).

Anyhow, Saturday's rosy dawn in Pasadena. More later, including Elvira getting her Hall of Fame award.
Looks like a lot of fun. Gotta come down for one of these conventions someday. Bucket list!

Cheers,
MacXoftheMounted, formerly Professor Von X
MacXoftheMounted.....................formerly known as Professor Von X

taraco
Burgomaster
taraco
Burgomaster

April 15th, 2018, 6:01 am #6

Some highlights from Monsterpalooza in Pasadena on Saturday:

Was proud to present Elvira, aka Cassandra Peterson, with a Rondo Hall of Fame Award before an adoring crowd of fans. Elvira is celebrating the 30th Anniversary of the film, Elvira: Mistress of the Dark. She said she always insisted the character stay edgy but within bounds.
IMG_4577.JPG

Many celebrities at a raucous and sometimes tearful tribute to makeup artist Rick Baker Saturday night, including Slash, director John Landis, American Werewolf in London actor David Naughton, Sara Karloff and others. But we were happiest to see Kathy Burns, who with her husband Bob helped Rick get his start.

Kathy said Bob has his ups and downs health-wise, but wishes fans the best.
IMG_4591.JPG

Accepting a Rondo on video was David Del Valle for Best Commentary on Suspiria, with Derek Botelho. Behind him is a recreation of a deadly scene in the film.
IMG_4593.JPG

taraco
Burgomaster
taraco
Burgomaster

April 16th, 2018, 2:55 am #7

A few more, some stolen from Facebook:

Two Rondo winners: Sam Irvin for his Frankenstein: The Untold Story epic in LITTLE SHOPPE OF HORRORS, and Don Smeraldi, publisher of Best Classic Magazine winner SCARY MONSTERS.

IMG_4596.JPG

Mike Hill and Shane Mahan discuss the creature they designed for Shape of Water:

IMG_4603.JPG

Monster historian Scott Essman with Bela Lugosi Jr. and Sara Karloff:
IMG_4606.JPG

Author Justin Humphreys with two blank T-shirts. Hey wait a minute!
IMG_4608.JPG

David Del Valle with the woman herself, Pam Grier:
IMG_4607.JPG

And finally...
IMG_4610.JPG

starhawk60

April 16th, 2018, 4:52 am #8

Thanks for the posts David!

sillyhuron

April 19th, 2018, 7:34 pm #9

And may I say all the ladies look wonderful.