Grant

12:31 PM - May 18, 2018 #281

In spite of it being an odd controversy (one that even shows up in my "Fortean" books and magazines, which is where I read about it), I have no interest in the idea of Mona Lisa being a man. Not because I'm touchy about it, but just because transvestism is one of those really worn-out pop culture subjects to me.

NickMoose

10:50 PM - May 21, 2018 #282

Grant wrote: In spite of it being an odd controversy (one that even shows up in my "Fortean" books and magazines, which is where I read about it), I have no interest in the idea of Mona Lisa being a man. Not because I'm touchy about it, but just because transvestism is one of those really worn-out pop culture subjects to me.
So, is this a bad time to tell you that Larry Buchanan was really a woman? Or...... (Only kidding! Don't wanna start any CHFB controversy! Haha)

Mike Mariano

5:38 PM - May 22, 2018 #283

NickMoose wrote: Here is a find!  High Yellow with the drop dead gorgeous, 60's siren, Cynthia Hull, who we all had a boner over in Attack of the the Eye creatures!  Larry truly was a progressive thinker for his day!
But wasn't this movie made in color? Black n' white print.
What's really cool is, the person who posted this movie on her Youtube channel is Dawn McGhee, the daughter of Bill McGhee.  Bill acted in CURSE OF THE SWAMP CREATURE, TRAIL OF LEE HARVEY OSWALD, HIGH YELLOW, and also S.F. Brownrigg's DON'T LOOK IN THE BASEMENT.  Dawn's channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Rysque/featured

I'd love to see an interview with Dawn, of her talking about her Dad.  Would make a great article for Filmfax or one of the other genre mags.

Jobla

9:43 PM - May 22, 2018 #284

The old trailer preview I had for HIGH YELLOW was in B&W, so I assume that the film was in B&W as well.

odradek5

2:00 AM - Oct 08, 2018 #285

I've been curious about exactly when these films first aired/were released, vs. when they were produced.  IMDb has some of the information.  To summarize:

The Naked Witch:   produced 61, premiered 64
The Eye Creatures:   produced 65, aired 6710
Zontar, Thing from Venus:  produced 66, aired 6712
Curse of the Swamp Creature:  produced 66, aired 6802
Mars Needs Women:  produced 67, aired ?
In the Year 2889:  completed 6705, aired ?
Creature of Destruction:  produced 67, aired ?
It's Alive!:   produced 69, aired 7003

I'd like to find the missing dates.  This leads to another question.  I've seen it claimed that they were a rush job for AIP-tv.  If so, why the long delay (2+ years, if the above is correct) to get them on tv?

Paul Haight

2:47 AM - Oct 08, 2018 #286

odradek5 wrote: I've been curious about exactly when these films first aired/were released, vs. when they were produced.  IMDb has some of the information.  To summarize:

The Eye Creatures:   produced 65, aired 6710
Zontar, Thing from Venus:  produced 66, aired 6712
Curse of the Swamp Creature:  produced 66, aired 6802
Mars Needs Women:  produced 67, aired ?
In the Year 2889:  completed 6705, aired ?
Creature of Destruction:  produced 67, aired ?
It's Alive!:   produced 69, aired 7003

I'd like to find the missing dates.  This leads to another question.  I've seen it claimed that they were a rush job for AIP-tv.  If so, why the long delay (2+ years, if the above is correct) to get them on tv?
There's an old thread where the question of when the Azaleas premiered was kicked around - much of the info below was culled from that thread, which can be found HERE, and I've added a few details that I've turned up recently from other sources...

THE EYE CREATURES: filmed late '65; earliest confirmed TV listing = Oct 10 '67.
ZONTAR: filmed in late '65 or early '66 (John Agar recalled this was filmed before Swamp Creature); earliest confirmed TV listing = Dec 23 '67.
CURSE OF THE SWAMP CREATURE: filmed in June '66; earliest confirmed TV listing = Feb 11 '68.

These first three titles were all produced for inclusion in an AIP "movie package" for TV syndication called "Amazing Adventures '67." The package was being sold to stations as early as March of '66, but I believe it was always intended that this package would premiere during the fall 1967 TV season. (This theory was incorrect - see post #289 for update.)

MARS NEEDS WOMEN: filmed Nov. / Dec. '66; earliest confirmed TV listing = Aug 24 '68.
IN THE YEAR 2889: filmed May '67; earliest confirmed TV listing = Jan 10 '69.
CREATURE OF DESTRUCTION: don't know exactly when this was filmed, but it was definitely part of the "second wave" of Azaleas; earliest confirmed TV listing = Feb 3 '68.

The above three titles, constituting Azalea's "second wave," were all produced for inclusion in an AIP package called "15 New Science Fiction." This package was being sold to stations as early as July 1967, but I believe this package was intended for the 1968/1969 TV season. (Incorrect - see post #289.)

IT'S ALIVE!: filmed in September '67; earliest confirmed TV listing = 10/19/69.
HELL RAIDERS: filmed in Jan. / Feb. '68; earliest confirmed TV listing = Jun 8 '69.

The last two Azaleas were made for inclusion in an AIP package called "Young Adult Theater," announced for sale in April '68. I would have thought this package was for the 1969/1970 TV season, so it seems odd that HELL RAIDERS was playing a good three months earlier than that. (See post #289.)
Last edited by Paul Haight on 1:00 AM - Oct 09, 2018, edited 1 time in total.
My sojourn in this demonic deep has been completely unenlightening and extremely terrifying.

odradek5

3:06 AM - Oct 08, 2018 #287

Wow---that's interesting---thank you!

Paul Haight

12:06 AM - Oct 09, 2018 #288

Paul Haight wrote:CREATURE OF DESTRUCTION: don't know exactly when this was filmed, but it was definitely part of the "second wave" of Azaleas; earliest confirmed TV listing = Feb 3 '68.
It just occurred to me that this airdate is problematic if the "15 New Science Fiction" package was intended to debut during the '68/'69 TV season.

The Feb '68 listing appeared in The Longview News-Journal (TX), and reads "Creatures (sic) of Destruction - Bill Williams." I haven't found any listings for the film between that date and Dec 7 '68. It seems odd and unlikely that the film would have had a single airing in Texas, and then disappear from the airwaves for over nine months. Also, Bill Williams isn't even in CREATURE OF DESTRUCTION. Curiously, though, his name is included in a number of December '68 listings, so the error seems likely to have originated in AIP's promotional materials.

In any case, Dec 7 '68 is probably a safer bet for the film's premiere date.
My sojourn in this demonic deep has been completely unenlightening and extremely terrifying.

Paul Haight

12:57 AM - Oct 09, 2018 #289

My theory that the AIP packages were targeted to coincide with the regular TV seasons was simply incorrect. The article below states that the titles in the "15 New Science Fiction" package would begin airing in October '67, and the "first run" would last until July 1969.

So, that Feb '68 premiere date for CREATURE OF DESTRUCTION is not problematic at all.

670728-azalea-news.jpg

rvoyttbots

5:09 AM - Oct 09, 2018 #290

Cool, thanks for posting that newspaper article. I saw most of these either trying to get Dr San Guinary in on Saturday night (CURSE OF THE SWAMP CREATURE, THE EYE CREATURES) or a few months later on our Friday midnight or Sunday afternoon local creature features. 

NickMoose

6:36 PM - Oct 11, 2018 #291

Paul Haight wrote: My theory that the AIP packages were targeted to coincide with the regular TV seasons was simply incorrect. The article below states that the titles in the "15 New Science Fiction" package would begin airing in October '67, and the "first run" would last until July 1969.

So, that Feb '68 premiere date for CREATURE OF DESTRUCTION is not problematic at all.

670728-azalea-news.jpg
What the Hell is "Night Star Goddess of Electra!?"

odradek5

7:44 PM - Oct 11, 2018 #292

It's this peplum:  Rome against Rome .

NickMoose

4:51 AM - Oct 14, 2018 #293

odradek5 wrote: It's this peplum:  Rome against Rome .
Awesome! Thanks! I checked out the Wikipedia.    "Rome Against Rome,"  "War of the Zombies," or "Night Star: Goddess of Electra!"  Which is the goofiest title for a peplum!? Even if it had no other redeeming qualities, I would still have to watch this thing for the titles alone!! 

Rick

6:19 AM - Oct 14, 2018 #294

Even if it had no other redeeming qualities, I would still have to watch this thing for the titles alone!! 
That's very good because, as I recall, it does have no other redeeming qualities.
“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
~ Douglas Adams, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

Paul Haight

8:10 PM - Oct 14, 2018 #295

Dec '67 ad for first Chicago airing of THE EYE CREATURES: 671214-azalea-tec-ad-2b.jpg

This March '68 listing for ZONTAR suggests that the TV editor at The San Francisco Examiner was an EC comics fan:

680331-zontar-2b.jpg

odradek5

8:23 PM - Oct 14, 2018 #296

Wow---that Zontar review made my day.  I'd "like" the post if I could figure out how.  It's a revelation to see Zontar in prime time.  In the 70s I only saw it playing after 1am.

8:31 PM - Oct 14, 2018 #297

Grant wrote: In spite of it being an odd controversy (one that even shows up in my "Fortean" books and magazines, which is where I read about it), I have no interest in the idea of Mona Lisa being a man. Not because I'm touchy about it, but just because transvestism is one of those really worn-out pop culture subjects to me.
yeah, its pretty dull.

NickMoose

5:25 AM - Oct 15, 2018 #298

Paul Haight wrote: Dec '67 ad for first Chicago airing of THE EYE CREATURES:671214-azalea-tec-ad-2b.jpg

This March '68 listing for ZONTAR suggests that the TV editor at The San Francisco Examiner was an EC comics fan:

680331-zontar-2b.jpg
"IF YOU CAN STAND TO LOOK AT THEM!!" -Now that just made me wish Eye Creatures had been theatrically released, just so we could get a trailer with a bombastic announcer saying that over images of the Eye Creatures. And the announcer should also bombastically say the title as "The Attack of the THE Eye Creatures!!"