THE STARLOST coming to DVD

From Twilight Zone to Thrones, shocks on the small screen.
drmedula

December 28th, 2007, 12:05 am #21

Heck, it could lead to Harlan sueing himself!

BijouBob8mm

December 28th, 2007, 4:14 pm #22

I'd say Canadians deserve an apology from him.
Really? I thought the show was shabby, myself, but I've also always heard the initial premise Ellison was working with had little to do with what actually went before the cameras, which is why he asked his name not be used on the finished product.

MyDarkSide

December 28th, 2007, 10:18 pm #23

drmedula

December 29th, 2007, 12:56 am #24

For the record: the censored phrase is "only MORMONS would believe it"...

Strockstar

December 31st, 2007, 2:10 am #25

Thanks for posting that! I've sent Mr. Canoehead to my dad. The kids and I are still laughing!

timothymayer

December 31st, 2007, 1:34 pm #26

OK..so how did the Cordwainer Byrd version differ from the final product?
"It's alive!"
Spy Safe House

BijouBob8mm

December 31st, 2007, 4:30 pm #27

Timothy, I would have to do some digging for details, but it seems like there was an article or interview with H.E. in an issue of, I think, Starlog (maybe from the 1970s but more probably in the 1980s) where he discussed the show and his disappointment with it.

ARGumshoe

August 15th, 2008, 5:59 pm #28

Looks like the release date is Sept. 30th -
http://www.amazon.com/STARLOST-Complete ... 78&sr=1-26

August 19th, 2008, 3:19 pm #29

I can't imagine sitting through this and I'm Canadian!!!!
Professor Von X

August 21st, 2008, 7:02 pm #30

I used to trade a guy for StarLost episodes back in the eighties, he'd trade me 4 hours for every one hour of StarLost! I never knew exactly why, he must have been a completist or some sort of masochist. Those stupid compliation movies made in the eighties still pop up on TV.

CFTO did a special series on themselves in the early ninties (hosted by Dave Duvall and Norene Virgin!) and they did a bit on the Starlost, Virgin stated it was an international sensation with fans world wide. I told Keir Dullea that a few years back , he started laughing and said "Are they for real?"

As for Trouble with Tracy, I need to find episodes of this again, I've almost come to the point that it didn't exist. Does anyone remember the April Fool's day gag ShowcaseTV did a few years back when they announced they were remaking it?

Wich2

August 21st, 2008, 8:46 pm #31

(Hey - I KNOW that avatar...)

Welcome to a great group, Plaid!

I'd have to agree with Keir Dullea's (who I may get to do an "X-1" episode at FOTR with , this Oct....) remark as to STARLOST's international reception - I recall that it was a major letdown to us Yank fans in the "it's the next STAR TREK!" derby of the '70's.

Best,
-Craig W.

August 22nd, 2008, 11:22 am #32

Ellison's take on the STARLOST debacle, "Somehow, I Don't Think We're In Kansas, Toto" is in PHOENIX WITHOUT ASHES--Ed Bryant's novelization of Ellison's original, award-winning teleplay. It's also in HE's collection STALKING THE NIGHTMARE and in THE ESSENTIAL ELLISON. Very entertaining reading. They should reprint it as a booklet insert and add it to the DVD release.

If the series ever made in to the Twin Cities area, I completely missed it. But I sure remember the (as Craig W. says) the "next STAR TREK" hoopla for SPACE: 1999 and getting pretty pumped for it, only to sit there after watching the first episode with an expression much like Rachel Dratch's Debbie Downer character.
Last edited by TheAmazingLarry on August 22nd, 2008, 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

megazor

November 13th, 2008, 5:00 am #33

THE STARLOST was never a letdown, because I didn't compare it to anything or harbor expectations.

Right now I'm enjoying the hell out of the new DVD set and reminiscing about good old 1973.

Here's a fine essay about the series from a less cynical POV:

http://reflectionsonfilma...0-starlost-voyage-of.html

Dr Kelp

May 17th, 2018, 6:11 am #34

Just picked up the DVD set of the entire series of Starlost at the library bookstore for $2. Couldn't pass up the price but is it worth sitting thru? Please vote yea or nay  and I'll leave the decision to your wisdom.

amanaplan1

May 17th, 2018, 10:21 am #35

No.

Hell no.

May 17th, 2018, 3:12 pm #36

Gotta agree. I'd watch one episode for the heck of it, but that would be it. Great concept, done in by low budget, lousy production values, glacial pace, etc.
MacXoftheMounted.....................formerly known as Professor Von X

Rick

May 18th, 2018, 12:02 am #37

MacXoftheMounted wrote:Gotta agree. I'd watch one episode for the heck of it, but that would be it. Great concept, done in by low budget, lousy production values, glacial pace, etc.
Mac's comment is exactly what I would have said, had I still a functioning brain.

I'm a completist, I've seen all the STARLOST "movies", wouldn't have missed 'em. But they're not good. It really was a great, great idea. But...no.
“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
~ Douglas Adams, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

sillyhuron

May 22nd, 2018, 5:03 pm #38

There's a very funny novel based on the making of this epic - THE STARCROSSED by Ben Bova

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... _aSrJMk_VA

With a blurb from Ellison on the back cover. Something about 'very funny" and "you'll be hearing from my lawyers". 

And actors from Trouble With Tracey" appeared as guest stars. (How pathetic is it that I know this?...😞)

(ALL HAIL MR. CANOEHEAD! And his girlfriend Invisible Chick & sidekick Llewellyn the Mole)

May 22nd, 2018, 7:42 pm #39

sillyhuron wrote:There's a very funny novel based on the making of this epic - THE STARCROSSED by Ben Bova

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... _aSrJMk_VA

With a blurb from Ellison on the back cover. Something about 'very funny" and "you'll be hearing from my lawyers". 

And actors from Trouble With Tracey" appeared as guest stars. (How pathetic is it that I know this?...

I’m in the same canoe with you! Trouble With Tracy. I’d watch it when home sick from grade school, but only because there were only two channels and Luncheon Date with Elwood Glover, was likely on the other!

Cheers,
MacXoftheMounted, formerly Professor Von X
MacXoftheMounted.....................formerly known as Professor Von X