Xmas Ghost

January 2nd, 2017, 8:24 am #61

This is my favorite mummy movie, bar none. I like the story, the actors, & the mummy kicks butt. 

Dick
Dick

February 18th, 2017, 10:08 am #62

Poelzig wrote:
I'm guilty too,I have a soft spot for Shroud.It's nice to see Ripper in a slightly bigger part too.
Totally underrated actor. Regardless of the size of his roles, he was always in the moment and totally into his characters. He regularly turned in the best performance, lead actors included, of the film he was in.

Dick
Dick

February 18th, 2017, 10:18 am #63

Xmas Ghost wrote:
This is my favorite mummy movie, bar none. I like the story, the actors, & the mummy kicks butt. 
It's right up there for me, also, along the the original Universal classic and the '59 Hammer. It is so superior to the later CURSE OF MUMMY'S TOMB and THE MUMMY of 1999 with Brendan Fraser that they are like polar opposites. An even better Hammer film whose title contains the word "Mummy" is BLOOD FROM THE MUMMY'S TOMB, although the film has no mummy (!), but it's still superior to most.

Tumak

February 18th, 2017, 6:33 pm #64

Dick wrote:
It is so superior to the later CURSE OF MUMMY'S TOMB
Actually CURSE is earlier than SHROUD.

February 21st, 2017, 1:12 pm #65

I was never that keen on Blood but I did like Curse and Shroud! Curse having a twist in the brother of the Mummy being the cursed being and not the bandaged monster! But Hammer's 1959 version is the best of the lot!
JVH

Rick

February 21st, 2017, 10:28 pm #66

The '59 MUMMY is far and away Hammer's best. In fact, by my lights, it's the best walking mummy movie ever (this doesn't include the Karloff). I also love BLOOD FROM THE MUMMY'S TOMB but I'll admit that much of that may be due to my overheated approval of Valerie Leon.

CURSE OF THE MUMMY'S TOMB...I didn't like it when it was new in '64, and I still don't. 

THE MUMMY'S SHROUD... the only time I saw this was at a drive-in when it was new in '67.  At the time, I didn't like it at all. But in recent years I've read such good stuff about it that I need to give it a second chance. I will be watching it in a couple of months and then...I'll letcha know...
“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
~ Douglas Adams, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

Wich2

February 21st, 2017, 10:47 pm #67

Hammer's '59 ties for my fave Hammer, with X-THE UNKNOWN and QUATERMASS AND THE PIT. It's far and away the best Kharis flick - I love the look, the cast (Peter's terrif), and especially Chris's nimble Mummy!

But yes, Boris still takes the prize, even though his film is low on actual bandaged Mummy.

February 25th, 2017, 2:35 pm #68

Strangely in the comic adaptation of The Mummy in Hammer's House of Horror magazine, they had Kharis meet Stephen Banning at the front door while dressed in a dress of sorts and Peter recoils at the shock!
JVH

dracsback

February 25th, 2017, 9:57 pm #69

Rick wrote:
The '59 MUMMY is far and away Hammer's best. In fact, by my lights, it's the best walking mummy movie ever (this doesn't include the Karloff). I also love BLOOD FROM THE MUMMY'S TOMB but I'll admit that much of that may be due to my overheated approval of Valerie Leon.
Brilliant observation.  Totally agree!
"I saw what I saw when I saw it!"

Dick
Dick

June 15th, 2018, 12:42 pm #70

Cartoon wrote: The Cushing-Lee Mummy, which I thought was terrific
I saw this in '59 on a double bill with, of all things, THE BAT. I don't know if these two disparate films were issued as a pair anywhere except to The Bedford Playhouse in Westchester, NY, but this leads me to wonder who paired these programs. THE MUMMY was Warner Bros./Hammer, THE BAT was Allied Artists. Not much later, you would only see double features coming from one studio, but back then it seemed arbitrary. Did theater owners create these double-features, or did distributors?

June 15th, 2018, 4:36 pm #71

Dick wrote:I saw this in '59 on a double bill with, of all things, THE BAT. I don't know if these two disparate films were issued as a pair anywhere except to The Bedford Playhouse in Westchester, NY, but this leads me to wonder who paired these programs. THE MUMMY was Warner Bros./Hammer, THE BAT was Allied Artists. Not much later, you would only see double features coming from one studio, but back then it seemed arbitrary. Did theater ownrs create these double-features, or did distributors?
I know in the drive in days they would slap together whatever was around sometimes to fill a bill.  Back then the films had to be shipped from theater to theater, marklet to market, so if a print did not show up due to whateever and THE BAT was still in the projection booth, guess what?  MUMMY/BAT.  They both involve caves and mold, right?

Rodster

June 16th, 2018, 12:50 am #72

jamesbrummel.monsterkidclassichorrorforum wrote:
Dick wrote:I saw this in '59 on a double bill with, of all things, THE BAT. I don't know if these two disparate films were issued as a pair anywhere except to The Bedford Playhouse in Westchester, NY, but this leads me to wonder who paired these programs. THE MUMMY was Warner Bros./Hammer, THE BAT was Allied Artists. Not much later, you would only see double features coming from one studio, but back then it seemed arbitrary. Did theater ownrs create these double-features, or did distributors?
I know in the drive in days they would slap together whatever was around sometimes to fill a bill.  Back then the films had to be shipped from theater to theater, marklet to market, so if a print did not show up due to whateever and THE BAT was still in the projection booth, guess what?  MUMMY/BAT.  They both involve caves and mold, right?
Actually, The Bat doesn't involve caves or mold. Just an old house with a secret fireplace. 

blufeld

June 16th, 2018, 2:11 pm #73

All wondered if Hammer was taking a stab at Universal's Kharis series by having the hero (Peter Cushing) walking with a limp and Kharis walking very spry.

I, too, like SHROUD.  A few years ago, I watched SHROUD on TCM's Halloween special, and believe it or not, it gave me a nightmare.  First time for well over 50 years.

vampirelover

June 29th, 2018, 6:02 pm #74

SHROUD is a favorite of mine. I really like the soundtrack. And it was a shame that none of the stills Maggie Kimberly posed for with the mummy that appeared in magazines never were actually in the movie!

August 9th, 2018, 11:53 am #75

I always kinda liked MUMMY'S SHROUD. Never thought that it deserved Maltin's BOMB rating. And it was nice to see Michael Ripper in a larger role. And I also thought his demise was pretty unnecessary.