THE MAZE Restoration 3D Blu-ray - 4/24/18!

News and reviews of latest digital releases of classic horror, fantasy and science fiction

May 8th, 2018, 7:02 pm #241

The Maze never played on TV in Ottawa as far as I know. Certainly not after 1980 or so, when it would have been on my radar. I only caught up with it in the last 15 years through a fellow CHFB member's generosity. I'll be getting to see Bob's fine work tomorrow night at my friend's place. Should be fun as he's never seen the movie and I haven't watched it in at least 5 years, maybe longer.
MacXoftheMounted.....................formerly known as Professor Von X

JPKaiser

May 10th, 2018, 10:08 pm #242

I finally watched THE MAZE in 3D this morning and it is A-MAZE-ING!  Previously I had a really bad DVD from a pretty beat-up source, so it was like watching it for the first time.  I love seeing the restored intermission!

And just for the record - today is May 10.  Just a coincidence that I watched it today, but it is the 65th anniversary of...  Well, I don't want to spoil the ending.
3D.png

Camps

May 10th, 2018, 10:16 pm #243

JP, you've got me stumped.  I know the ending, and 1953 (65 years ago) was the release year for The Maze, but what is the significance of May 10..... ?   🤔

Oh, never mind.... I just realized what you're probably referring to.... I guess I just wasn't paying attention to that particular detail....
Last edited by Camps on May 10th, 2018, 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JPKaiser

May 10th, 2018, 10:18 pm #244

Camps wrote: JP, you've got me stumped.  I know the ending, and 1953 (65 years ago) was the release year for The Maze, but what is the significance of May 10..... ?   🤔
Read the tombstone...

Camps

May 10th, 2018, 10:20 pm #245

JPKaiser wrote:
Camps wrote: JP, you've got me stumped.  I know the ending, and 1953 (65 years ago) was the release year for The Maze, but what is the significance of May 10..... ?   🤔
Read the tombstone...
Yes, I just amended my post but you beat me to it...... 😌

bigcatrik

May 10th, 2018, 10:20 pm #246

The original b&w version of that Peanuts comic ran on January 25, 1954 (1-25 is hand-printed on it) but the color is modern. It's nice that the modern colorist didn't tint Snoopy's glasses red and blue since we all know that would be incorrect. It's also nice that CB's shirt is orange, which it was during this period's original color Sunday strips.

The link to GoComic's original black and white version is here:

https://www.gocomics.com/peanuts/1954/01/25

jimi d2

May 14th, 2018, 3:01 pm #247

MacXoftheMounted wrote: The Maze never played on TV in Ottawa as far as I know. Certainly not after 1980 or so, when it would have been on my radar. I only caught up with it in the last 15 years through a fellow CHFB member's generosity. I'll be getting to see Bob's fine work tomorrow night at my friend's place. Should be fun as he's never seen the movie and I haven't watched it in at least 5 years, maybe longer.
I've been in Ottawa since '75 and don't recall The Maze finding it's way here either, and I was a voracious TV Guide scanner in my monster kid youth... (I kind of miss browsing that little book with a red pen in hand, actually)

Anyway, I sat down with my Blu last night and it was the first time I've seen this film that I can remember...Certainly, I've known about it since my youth, having read references to it in some monster movie book or another, so it's nice to finally have the opportunity to own it...  Not a great film, but Richard Carlson in a decrepit Scottish castle with a monster in the shadows directed by William Cameron Menzies was good enough for me... I'll admit that I think I prefer Invaders From Mars and It Came From Outer Space though...

ryanbrennan

May 17th, 2018, 4:49 am #248

I don't have a 3-D set-up so can't watch THE MAZE in depth.  The 2-D picture looks great, of course.  However, the stereophonic sound on this disc is simply amazing.  This is a fantastic recreation of the 3 channels with a rich, broad, deep sound stage.  The music seems to stand apart from the effects and is wonderful while there is plenty of directional sound trickery that adds greatly to the presentation.  Kudos, gentleman! 

May 17th, 2018, 3:22 pm #249

Must agree. The picture was great, the depth phenomenal, but the sound REALLY stood out.

Fun watching this. Kudos to Bob and crew. You did this little movie up right and deserve any accolades you receive... AGAIN! ; )

It's an enjoyable film, and I love the central conceit (although it could have used a little tweaking) but it could have been so much better with a little faster pacing, less talking, no on-camera narration and something a little more monstrous at the end and less anatomically accurate (I'm trying not to give it away here). But there's a fair amount to like. I particularly enjoyed the sequences within the Maze itself. Nice and creepy. I would have said that, more than Richard Carlson, Veronica Hurst seems the star. She certainly has the most screen time.
MacXoftheMounted.....................formerly known as Professor Von X

Bob Furmanek

May 17th, 2018, 3:34 pm #250

ryanbrennan wrote: I don't have a 3-D set-up so can't watch THE MAZE in depth.  The 2-D picture looks great, of course.  However, the stereophonic sound on this disc is simply amazing.  This is a fantastic recreation of the 3 channels with a rich, broad, deep sound stage.  The music seems to stand apart from the effects and is wonderful while there is plenty of directional sound trickery that adds greatly to the presentation.  Kudos, gentleman! 
That is all thanks to our brilliant audio engineer in Germany, Mr. Eckhard Büttner.

He has recreated three lost stereophonic tracks for us to date - Those Redheads from Seattle, Cease Fire and The Maze. These were all done from working with single-track, mono optical elements and as you've heard, the results are astounding.

His fantastic sonic skills are only exceeded by his warmth, kindness and generosity. He is a cherished member of the 3-D Film Archive team.

There are still quite a few lost stereo tracks from vintage 3-D movies. http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/the-first- ... onic-sound

If we are given the opportunity to restore those titles, we will continue to utilize Mr. Büttner's great talents.

ryanbrennan

May 17th, 2018, 6:06 pm #251

A great, restored image -- especially if it's in 3-D -- is always worth the money.  In this case that terrific image is accompanied by spectacular sound.  I was very impressed by Mr. Büttner's work.  You're right, he's a keeper.

Bob Furmanek

May 17th, 2018, 6:13 pm #252

He was working 60 hours a week to meet our tight deadline - and never complained!