The Loss of a Personal Friend (1987)

Following the Great Detective.

The Loss of a Personal Friend (1987)

Chad
Chad

May 11th, 2018, 11:41 pm #1

Described in Alan Barnes' Sherlock Holmes on Screen as "at once a sophisticated meditation on grief and a deeply macabre joke", this 14 minute piece assumes that Holmes return to Baker Street years after his supposed death to a greatly relieved Watson, was merely a delusion concocted by the mind of a distraught and unhinged Watson.  The seemingly innocent, elder book seller who visited the good Doctor on that day which opened 'The Empty House' was in fact, an innocent, elder book seller and not, despite Watson's fervent wish, Holmes in disguise back to announce that he had cheated death in 'The Final Problem'.  Watson ends up killing the book seller and rejoicing that now, he and Holmes will remain together forever and ever.

Now, how could I not want to see this?

Problem is, I don't know where to find a source and in fact, outside of Barnes' book, I can't find any information on it.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Has anyone seen this pastiche?

Stars Ian Price and Peter Harding.  Written by N G Bristow and produced by Michael S Ostrow.

Wich2

May 11th, 2018, 11:49 pm #2

I love a good pastiche.

But this kind, that stretches the material so far, that it means one or another beloved character must actually be unhinged?

"Holmes is actually the Ripper", "Holmes is actually also Moriarty"... 

No.

blufeld

May 12th, 2018, 4:40 pm #3

"Holmes is actually the Ripper"  Naw, Watson is actually the Ripper-he has medical training.