Hairy Eyeball

May 14th, 2018, 9:53 am #321

Does the combined size exceed 20 mb?l
Can you provide a link to the latest post it happened on please.

Does anyone else have problems with multiple photos?

It is a problem that pops up on the support boards occasionally, and as recently as last week.

Rick

May 15th, 2018, 1:47 am #322

I cannot for the life of me figure how to link to a specific post. The link below should take you to the correct page, at least. My problem post was #371, then in #372 I added the extra two images.

I can't swear they totaled less than 20mb, but they were the same sort of images which I've routinely used in the past, using as many as ten in a single post.

Any help is appreciated.

house-of-wax-1953-t2424-s360.html
“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
~ Douglas Adams, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

kcor
kcor

May 15th, 2018, 11:45 am #323

That post had only about 400kb of images. Without double-checking I think they were all hotlinked.

The 20mb limit (per image) is for uploading images to one's own Tapatalk image folder. Yes?

I had a bit of trouble with hotlinking to about 5 images in one post once, in the "Phone it In" thread. But I wanted to avoid uploading them to my own folder (an unwieldy thing, it is) and also wanted to resize some so they would all be roughly the size of the smallest one.

The post took on some invisible coding which retained unwanted leading, which annoyed me mightily. I archived the urls, beat my image folder into submission for one image, came back the next day and wiped the whole thing and retyped it.

It was pretty damned funny or I wouldn't have bothered.

The two things I find most annoying are the hinkey resizing function and that images in a quoted section do not appear on their own.

Rick

May 15th, 2018, 10:07 pm #324

I have only a vague notion of what "hotlinking" means, but, as far as my understanding goes, I don't think those images were...that thing.

These were all images I'd downloaded to my computer from a newspaper archive (as I've done a zillion times in the past) and then uploaded from my computer to the Board. This is the same procedure I've been using since the Tapatalk switch and, ever since David pushed some buttons or threw some switches or sacrificed an IT guy or whatever he did, I've not had this problem.
“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”

amanaplan1

May 16th, 2018, 12:43 am #325

Well, the site hijacking on my iPhone is back as of Tuesday afternoon.

kcor
kcor

May 16th, 2018, 11:59 am #326

Rick wrote: These were all images I'd downloaded to my computer from a newspaper archive (as I've done a zillion times in the past) and then uploaded from my computer to the Board.
Sorry, my error.

Thanks for correction.

taraco
Burgomaster
taraco
Burgomaster

May 16th, 2018, 4:34 pm #327

I'll take a look. Maybe it went back to a default or something.

Godziwolf

May 16th, 2018, 8:54 pm #328

Rick wrote: I cannot for the life of me figure how to link to a specific post. The link below should take you to the correct page, at least. My problem post was #371, then in #372 I added the extra two images.

I can't swear they totaled less than 20mb, but they were the same sort of images which I've routinely used in the past, using as many as ten in a single post.

Any help is appreciated.

house-of-wax-1953-t2424-s360.html
You need to also include the bit after the number/pound/hash sign.
house-of-wax-1953-t2424-s360.html#p1366932

Rick

May 16th, 2018, 11:20 pm #329

Thanks, but how do I get that? I copied everything up in the url box. I tried clicking on the number of the post which is at the top of the post but it wasn't a link thing. I clicked here and there, hither and yon, and couldn't find any way to get an address for the post itself. Just for the page.

Hairy Eyeball

May 17th, 2018, 1:36 am #330

try clicking on the post number, then copy the url from the address bar

Rick

May 17th, 2018, 3:13 am #331

the-glitches-are-back-t67132.html#p1367497

Doesn't work for me. I just clicked on the post number of my previous post, copied the url, and this is it above. It takes me to the first page of this thread. That's worse than last night. When I tried it then, it took me to the same page as the desired post, but not to the post itself.

kcor
kcor

May 17th, 2018, 11:50 am #332

Here is what I see:

Rick's post shows the characters: the-glitches-are-back-t67132.html#p1367497

Clicking it goes to: ht_tps://w_ww.tapatalk.co_m/groups/monsterkidclassichorrorforum/the-glitches-are-back-t67132.html#p1367497

But the url that takes you to his example post is: ht_tps://w_ww.tapatalk.com/groups/monsterkidclassichorrorforum/the-glitches-are-back-t67132-s320.html#p1367497

I put some underlines in to allow the character to appear.

I just had to fight the log in thing to get on and make this post, and fight a separate load of browser that was set to private, so my mind is a trifle fuzzy but I can see the differences in the urls. The one which works has the number "320" in it.

Godziwolf

May 17th, 2018, 7:19 pm #333

kcor wrote: Here is what I see:

Rick's post shows the characters: the-glitches-are-back-t67132.html#p1367497

Clicking it goes to: ht_tps://w_ww.tapatalk.co_m/groups/monsterkidclassichorrorforum/the-glitches-are-back-t67132.html#p1367497

But the url that takes you to his example post is: ht_tps://w_ww.tapatalk.com/groups/monsterkidclassichorrorforum/the-glitches-are-back-t67132-s320.html#p1367497

I just had to fight the log in thing to get on and make this post, and fight a separate load of browser that was set to private, so my mind is a trifle fuzzy but I can see the differences in the urls. The one which works has the number "320" in it.
The 320 controls which 'page' in the thread the link goes to. I think it references the number of the last post on the prior page.

I grab the specific link by right-clicking on the date-time link of the post I want and open it in a new window/tab, then grab the url from that.

kcor
kcor

May 17th, 2018, 7:49 pm #334

Godziwolf wrote: The 320 controls which 'page' in the thread the link goes to. I think it references the number of the last post on the prior page.

I grab the specific link by right-clicking on the date-time link of the post I want and open it in a new window/tab, then grab the url from that.
Yet the post I wanted to be "centered" on the monitor when I go there is post #320.

Rick

May 17th, 2018, 11:18 pm #335

Godziwolf wrote:I grab the specific link by right-clicking on the date-time link of the post I want and open it in a new window/tab, then grab the url from that.
Okay okay okay, I just tried that one. Let's see how it works...

the-glitches-are-back-t67132.html#p1367543

Nope. I right-clicked on the date-time in my latest post on this page, opened in new window, copied the url, which is above, and it takes me to the first page of this thread.

I'm on Safari, could the browser have something to do with my not accomplishing what others are?

kcor
kcor

May 18th, 2018, 11:47 am #336

Godziwolf wrote:
kcor wrote: [...]

[...] The one which works has the number "320" in it.
The 320 controls which 'page' in the thread the link goes to. I think it references the number of the last post on the prior page.

In reply to this I posted "Yet the post I wanted to be "centered" on the monitor when I go there is post #320."

Well, I was completely wrong, Godzi.

The post I wanted "centered" was in the 320s but was not 320 specifically. Doing some experimenting I find what you say about the "-s320" is correct. It designates a page in the thread.

Thanks for your correction on what I was wrong about.

kcor
kcor

May 18th, 2018, 12:13 pm #337

Okay, new experiment--please feel free to critique and/or repeat to see if get same results.

I added underlines so the url below won't become a clickable link.

Using "ht_tps://ww_w.tapatalk.com/groups/monsterkidclassichorrorforum/the-glitches-are-back-t67132.html#p1367739" (which is what Rick provided and which indeed takes one to the first page of the thread) as a base url I added "-s335" after the "-t67132" and got a page with my post #336 all by itself. At that time there was no post #337.

I changed the "-s335" to "-s334" and got a page with Rick's post #335 and my post #336 by themselves.

The "-s" number in the url results in things which occur after the "-s" number, which is a post number as Godziwolf says.

I can't immediately find a way to get the system to provide an url with the appropriate "-s" number for a specific post but one can get the url of the page and edit in the correct post number and get a page with that post as the first entry on the page.

All of which is  fine way to run a railroad.

--in Wackyland!

blufeld

May 18th, 2018, 1:32 pm #338

Hercules should be in this thread.  It's all Greek to me.

Godziwolf

May 18th, 2018, 3:05 pm #339

kcor wrote: Okay, new experiment--please feel free to critique and/or repeat to see if get same results.

I added underlines so the url below won't become a clickable link.

Using "ht_tps://ww_w.tapatalk.com/groups/monsterkidclassichorrorforum/the-glitches-are-back-t67132.html#p1367739" (which is what Rick provided and which indeed takes one to the first page of the thread) as a base url I added "-s335" after the "-t67132" and got a page with my post #336 all by itself. At that time there was no post #337.

I changed the "-s335" to "-s334" and got a page with Rick's post #335 and my post #336 by themselves.

The "-s" number in the url results in things which occur after the "-s" number, which is a post number as Godziwolf says.

I can't immediately find a way to get the system to provide an url with the appropriate "-s" number for a specific post but one can get the url of the page and edit in the correct post number and get a page with that post as the first entry on the page.

All of which is  fine way to run a railroad.

--in Wackyland!
What's odd is that I'm not getting the -s now, either.

That seems to be a recent change.

And now I am, again.

I think I see the common threads. Although why it works this way is anyone's guess.

The hardlinks will only work if you come in through the front door.

If I follow a link from the main directory to a thread (index.php), then the post-specific hyperlinks contain all of the correct locator information. If I follow a link from my notification bell (ucp.php?i=ucp_notifications) or from a search (search.php), they do not.

URL from main directory:
the-glitches-are-back-t67132-s320.html#p1367849

URL from notifications:
viewtopic.php?p=1367829#p1367829

URL from search:
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=67132&p=1367831&hi ... k#p1367831

The hashtag bit only functions of the post matching that number is actually located on the thread page displayed by the main URL. Without the -s locator, it doesn't work (unless the post happens to be on the first page)

kcor
kcor

May 18th, 2018, 8:12 pm #340

Yeah, it worked yesterday, no url editing required, and it worked so well I did not pay much attention. Today it didn't work and my post #337 which was going to be a simple answer to Rick turned into a Blufeld-baffler.

I don't mind a puzzle but it's not much fun when they change the answer.