The Female Beast (1975?)

TarmanLives

September 13th, 2018, 9:08 am #1

During the third (I think) release of Legend of Blood Castle, this time titled The Female Butcher, it was joined by The Female Beast at drive-ins in a couple territories, May-Sept. 1975.  Does anyone know the identity of this movie?

"It's useless going on. By now, Sister Angela would have been well digested by those cannibals."

rvoyttbots

September 13th, 2018, 1:21 pm #2

female_butcher_1975_poster_01.jpg
Last edited by rvoyttbots on September 14th, 2018, 2:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

evilskippy

September 13th, 2018, 9:09 pm #3

I don't know, but now I want to know! Nothing on imdb under that title and a google search comes up with bupkis.
"Excuse me while I whip this out".

Rick

September 13th, 2018, 10:48 pm #4

It's possible that no one knows the answer to this. But rest assured that Doctor Kiss is trying his utmost. Word is that at this very moment he is feverishly translating ancient Mayan texts, interviewing 110-year-old-Estonians, and seeking to commune with the Great Beyond. 

If anybody picks up on the other end of the line, I'm sure he'll let us know.
“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
~ Douglas Adams, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

TarmanLives

September 13th, 2018, 11:58 pm #5

Rick wrote: It's possible that no one knows the answer to this. But rest assured that Doctor Kiss is trying his utmost. Word is that at this very moment he is feverishly translating ancient Mayan texts, interviewing 110-year-old-Estonians, and seeking to commune with the Great Beyond. 

😂  
"It's useless going on. By now, Sister Angela would have been well digested by those cannibals."

rvoyttbots

September 14th, 2018, 1:05 am #6

Has anyone ever seen THE FEMALE BUTCHER?

rvoyttbots

September 14th, 2018, 2:23 am #7

I`m beginning to suspect THE FEMALE BUTCHER & THE FEMALE BEAST are the same film & the ad in post one was a mistake.

Dr Stinson

September 14th, 2018, 3:15 am #8

Possibly the THE SHE BEAST?

THE FEMALE BUTCHER  was a Film Ventures International release so it could very well be a re-title of something else they were handling at the time though I can't name any possible suspect off the top of my head right now.

TarmanLives

September 14th, 2018, 4:05 am #9

Too frequent to be a mistake, but definitely some other film was retitled for the bill.  I can't find a single mention of The Female Beast outside of this double feature.

rvoyttbots

September 14th, 2018, 4:43 am #10

Film Ventures International also released BEYOND THE DOOR so possibly a re-title of that film. THE FEMALE BUTCHER is a re-title of THE LEGEND OF BLOOD CASTLE.
Last edited by rvoyttbots on September 14th, 2018, 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

TarmanLives

September 14th, 2018, 5:09 am #11

OMG, don't search this title on webarchive.  Just...DON'T!

Mike Mariano

September 14th, 2018, 5:35 am #12

On the red one sheet in post #2, the photo for FEMALE BEAST of the woman strapped in the chair looks like it could be from MARK OF THE DEVIL or MARK OF THE DEVIL 2. That's my guess.

doctor kiss

September 14th, 2018, 7:48 am #13

Alas, the woman strapped in the chair is also an image from LEGEND OF BLOOD CASTLE aka THE FEMALE BUTCHER.

I have a suggestion for what THE FEMALE BEAST could have been... but it's no more than outright speculation.

The only one of THE FEMALE BUTCHER's co-features during this series of Georgia and Tennessee playdates during 1975 that repeatedly fell foul of newspaper censors was A HATCHET FOR THE HONEYMOON, and so I wonder whether for a few bookings it proved easier simply to retitle it rather than have a thoroughly mangled version of the title published.

But it remains a guess, and one might even ponder whether THE FEMALE BEAST could have been applied to more than one film on an ad hoc basis, depending on what prints were available, and merely requiring the exhibitor to add an "AND" to the existing poster in order to transform a tagline into the name of a co-feature.

...rest assured that Doctor Kiss is trying his utmost. Word is that at this very moment he is feverishly translating ancient Mayan texts, interviewing 110-year-old-Estonians, and seeking to commune with the Great Beyond. 

For one who has not lived even a single lifetime, Van Pruitt... 😉

Dr Kelp

September 14th, 2018, 1:50 pm #14

The original poster is definitely not a double bill just a tag line. I agree that some theaters used it for adding a second feature of their choice.

PhantomXCI

September 14th, 2018, 2:31 pm #15

doctor kiss wrote:
HATCHET FOR A HONEY.  Directed by Mario Bee-va.

Wich2

September 14th, 2018, 9:05 pm #16

And Jay wings in for the sting!

TarmanLives

September 15th, 2018, 6:38 am #17

doctor kiss wrote: Alas, the woman strapped in the chair is also an image from LEGEND OF BLOOD CASTLE aka THE FEMALE BUTCHER.

I have a suggestion for what THE FEMALE BEAST could have been... but it's no more than outright speculation.

The only one of THE FEMALE BUTCHER's co-features during this series of Georgia and Tennessee playdates during 1975 that repeatedly fell foul of newspaper censors was A HATCHET FOR THE HONEYMOON, and so I wonder whether for a few bookings it proved easier simply to retitle it rather than have a thoroughly mangled version of the title published.

Wow.  I never would've thought that Hatchet For the Honeymoon as a title would've been a problem.  Seems fairly innocuous for the time, although I have to applaud them for the most pointless yet hilarious replacement ever  (Hatchet For a Honey is ok?  I guess they just really hate the moon then. 😄 )

Knowing that, it seems a likely choice.

doctor kiss wrote: But it remains a guess, and one might even ponder whether THE FEMALE BEAST could have been applied to more than one film on an ad hoc basis, depending on what prints were available, and merely requiring the exhibitor to add an "AND" to the existing poster in order to transform a tagline into the name of a co-feature.

I wasn't around yet when these types of bills were being shown (sadly) so I find them as fascinating as I do frustrating!  I'm curious...in these cases was it typical for the distributor to change the title card on the film itself as well or did they just present it as is like it were a substitution to the advertised film (or with no excuse at all)?

rvoyttbots wrote: Film Ventures International also released BEYOND THE DOOR so possibly a re-title of that film. THE FEMALE BUTCHER is a re-title of THE LEGEND OF BLOOD CASTLE.
A good possibility too.  Both were playing together from Oct. 1975 on, FVI may have been trying to pass off Beyond the Door as a different film just after its own run, which had taken place in Tennessee the month before.  Though it didn't open in Atlanta until a month after The Female Butcher / Female Beast had played, I can't pretend to understand the reasoning of some of the distributors at the time.  I mean, if you're going to rename these anyway:

Not pictured:  The actual Night of the Howling Beast and They're Coming to Get You

why as already existent films rather than as sequels to those films?  They're Coming to Get You Too would've been so much better.  Not to mention less confusing for those of us digging up this stuff 40+ years in the future.  But I bet you didn't think about even one of us, let alone all 8, did you? 😡
Last edited by TarmanLives on September 15th, 2018, 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

TarmanLives

September 15th, 2018, 7:31 am #18

btw, those interested in lost or forgotten films in other genres might want to hunt for this:

A quick search turned up a few scattered screenings in 1974-1975 but nothing else.  Not much on Lurco Films either other than 1974's Vampyres and an installment of Time-Life's March of Time series called The March of Time Revisited which appears to have been planned for 1975 but never actually produced.

doctor kiss

September 15th, 2018, 10:29 am #19

TarmanLives wrote:
doctor kiss wrote: But it remains a guess, and one might even ponder whether THE FEMALE BEAST could have been applied to more than one film on an ad hoc basis, depending on what prints were available, and merely requiring the exhibitor to add an "AND" to the existing poster in order to transform a tagline into the name of a co-feature.
I wasn't around yet when these types of bills were being shown (sadly) so I find them as fascinating as I do frustrating!  I'm curious...in these cases was it typical for the distributor to change the title card on the film itself as well or did they just present it as is like it were a substitution to the advertised film (or with no excuse at all)?
I wasn't around either, but according to contemporary accounts and subsequent reminiscences, the three most common approaches would seem to have been:
(1) snipping in a new title card only if the alternative title was to be somewhat widely used (for example, by an entire local chain);
(2) otherwise simply letting the movie play bearing whatever title was on it already, with no further explanation;
or
(3) employing a slide bearing the new title on a black background, and attempting to focus this onto the screen so that it was effectively 'superimposed' over the original title on the print. This seems like a fair amount of hit-and-miss effort for little real gain, yet seems to have been employed from at least the 1950s until the 1970s by some theater-owners who were apparently conscientious about serving up precisely what was promised in advertising.

As always, though, it'd be nice to hear from anyone who was around to experience some of these slapdash retitlings in person...

doctor kiss

September 15th, 2018, 10:46 am #20

TarmanLives wrote: btw, those interested in lost or forgotten films in other genres might want to hunt for this:

Lurco's 5 KITTENS aka 5 SEX KITTENS was the (seemingly first) US release of Jean-François Davy's sex comedy BANANES MÉCANIQUES (1973; IMDb), which I've seen in its original French version. I wonder whether anything had been cut out from the Lurco release, or whether it simply got away with being exhibited with an 'R' rating attached to it.

From November 1975, it started to be exhibited in the US as CLOCKWORK BANANAS, under which translation of its original title it had already played in Canada (with Britain and Australia having seen it in the singular, as CLOCKWORK BANANA). These engagements mostly advertised screenings with an 'X' rating, although a lesser number of 'R' ratings still remained in evidence.