The Curse of the Cat People (1944) coming from Scream Factory in June

News and reviews of latest digital releases of classic horror, fantasy and science fiction
Chesterbelloc

March 10th, 2018, 5:38 pm #41

It's still cool to see Skeleton though. I wish he was in more forties horror films.
Larry Sutliff
"Boris Karloff looks like a nice guy dancing on the Red Skeleton
Show. Did you ever see FRANKENSTEIN? That's the real Karloff!"

Check out my movie collection:
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/hybrid.php?u=367151

March 10th, 2018, 6:09 pm #42

I'm almost ashamed to admit don't care for Skeleton that much, maybe he plays a grimy, slimy, ugly as sin crustacean too well. I find him kind of genuinely icky. 

telegonus

March 10th, 2018, 6:26 pm #43

Mr. Knaggs is an acquired taste, for sure. His plug ugliness is part of his strange, otherworldly charisma. To put it another way, I've known all kinds of people in my life but no one even remotely like Skelton Knaggs. He looks like something dreamed up by a cartoonist, and he talks that way as well. It's hard for me to believe he even existed. Another thing: he puts his stamp on every film in which he appears. It's like, there's the movie, and then, "hey, Skelton's in it 😱 🤓".. It's like I wait for him. It's weird. He's not exactly charming or easy on the eyes, I just can't not watch him. Go figure. A one off.

March 10th, 2018, 8:03 pm #44

He doesn't drive me up the wall like Andy Devine who I'd gladly shove out a window, but he does gross me out a bit. I was a bartender for few years, in a bar that could be fairly seedy at times, and feel like I met my share of Skeleton Knaggs types.

I'm not sure if Mr Knaggs was a drinking man, but he did die from cirrhosis of the liver at the age of 44 in 1955. Which means he was a mere 32 in GHOST SHIP. 

Dick
Dick

March 12th, 2018, 3:27 am #45

pulp novelties wrote: I think I'm one of the few that really loves ISLE OF THE DEAD the most of all the Karloff's, but not really because of Karloff. There's something about the scenes of the nasty innkeeper Krya whispering threats through the door to her servant Thea as it gets increasingly dark out, that I've always loved, along with the premature burial sequences.
ISLE OF THE DEAD grows on me with each viewing. The atmosphere is pretty thick, and it gets creepy and tense toward the end. THE SEVENTH VICTIM is one of the lesser of the series, but has its moments and a rather surprising ending. BEDLAM and GHOST SHIP are interesting non-horror thrillers. But LEOPARD MAN has at least two lengthy, incredibly frightening night sequences before its rather disappointing conclusion.

But, along with the two CAT PEOPLE films, the remaining titles are in a league all their own. I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE is a haunting, dream-like horror film that packs an incredible amount of plot into about 69 minutes. And, as with all the best Lewton films, it contains a couple of brilliantly photographed, deftly edited, and completely unnerving night sequences full of strange shadows, ambient sounds like wind rustling through sugar cane or trees with no music underscore, and, sudden, startlingly cuts to very unexpected images or sound effects.

THE BODY SNATCHER is my favorite Lewton by a small margin, mostly because of the two incredibly well-written and performed sequences in the Scottish pub. I totally love Karloff in this film -- I feel it's his best-ever work. His is such a rounded, complex character, with a side you loathe, and one that is compassionate and kind to animals and children. And it doesn't hurt that the climax (that I wish was a tad longer) is hair-raising as hell. 

I do indeed hope that Scream Factory puts every one of these out, and I will purchase them immediately. 

BijouBob8mm

March 12th, 2018, 11:03 pm #46

Having got that big boxed set of Val Lewton films, I thought I was pretty much done.  Was tempted to pick up Criterion's CAT PEOPLE but was still on the fence.  With the second film coming out, I may have to rethink that...kind of waiting to see what bonus material may be before committing.  The one I'd most like to see hit Blu-ray would be THE BODY SNATCHER.  Aside from those three, though, I'm not sure I'd upgrade any of the other Lewtons.

Rick

March 12th, 2018, 11:15 pm #47

I have the box set too and I upgraded for CAT PEOPLE. I expect that, depending on prices of course, I'd upgrade for all the Lewtons except GHOST SHIP which I just don't care for, and possibly BEDLAM. Though that does have Boris, so ... 
“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
~ Douglas Adams, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

March 13th, 2018, 1:25 am #48

I find the prospect of upgrading the Lewton's pretty easy, because IMO the DVDs don't even look good for DVD. I suspect they are the same ancient masters which first graced the laserdisc set which preceded them.

I watched GHOST SHIP on my video projector a couple days ago, and it was very weak, lots of edge-enhancement and a general mushiness that looks pretty out of date these days. . 

March 13th, 2018, 12:31 pm #49

Loving all nine of these films, it's guaranteed I'll be buying any forthcoming blu rays. I like some more than others, but all 9 are quality films with great high contrast B&W photography. Right up my street.

Criterion's Cat People is as BEAUTIFUL as Simone Simon.
MacXoftheMounted.....................formerly known as Professor Von X

SAM33

March 13th, 2018, 1:23 pm #50

pulp novelties wrote: I find the prospect of upgrading the Lewton's pretty easy, because IMO the DVDs don't even look good for DVD. I suspect they are the same ancient masters which first graced the laserdisc set which preceded them.

I watched GHOST SHIP on my video projector a couple days ago, and it was very weak, lots of edge-enhancement and a general mushiness that looks pretty out of date these days. . 
Ditto. The PQ on this set's titles all leave a lot to be desired. Upgrading to the Criterion CAT PEOPLE was a no-brainer for me, as will be the rest of them, although I'm not in a huge hurry for CURSE, this will be a wait-for-the-sale-or-used copy buy for me.

SAM33

March 13th, 2018, 3:32 pm #51

There is definitely more to get there. The box set looks weak because of the limitations on the analog transfers more than that the 35mm materials used couldn't yield more under the right circumstances. 

Jameson281

April 24th, 2018, 7:36 pm #52

Release date pushed back to June 26.

April 25th, 2018, 12:57 pm #53

Damn.
MacXoftheMounted.....................formerly known as Professor Von X

Jameson281

May 15th, 2018, 7:36 pm #54

Final list of extras:

***THE CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE Update***

• NEW Audio Commentary with Author/Historian Steve Haberman
• NEW Lewton’s Muse: The Dark Eyes of Simone Simon – A Video Essay by Filmmaker Constantine Nasr (Shadows in The Dark: The Val Lewton Legacy)
• NEW Audio Interview with Actress Ann Carter moderated By Tom Weaver
• Audio Commentary with Historian Greg Mank, With Audio Interview Excerpts with Actress Simone Simon
• Theatrical Trailers
• Still Gallery

TomWeaver999

May 15th, 2018, 8:20 pm #55

<< NEW Audio Interview with Actress Ann Carter moderated By Tom Weaver <<

Just so no Ann Carter fan gets his hopes up: I let them borrow the tapes of my 2008 interview with her. They coulda used the whole thing as far as I was concerned, but they used only about ten minutes of the part where we talked about CURSE.

thehorrorboy

May 15th, 2018, 9:06 pm #56

A Steve Haberman commentary!!!!!!!!!

(I'll get it anyway!)

Jobla

May 15th, 2018, 10:52 pm #57

Tom, thanks for the heads-up about the Ann Carter interview.  I do wish they were presenting the whole interview.

I've loved this film ever since I was a child, and I'm definitely one of "Amy's Friends."

Jameson281

May 15th, 2018, 10:57 pm #58

Jobla wrote: I've loved this film ever since I was a child, and I'm definitely one of "Amy's Friends."
I can never forgive her for not coming to my birthday party.  I put her invitation in the magic mailbox and everything!

thehorrorboy

May 16th, 2018, 11:32 am #59

Where was MY invitation???

haraldg

May 16th, 2018, 4:09 pm #60

Is there any information on what film elements Shout! is using?
Val Lewton Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vallewton/