Steve Reeves, fans ?

Steve Reeves' Hercules and all the badly-dubbed heroes who followed.
lobo67
lobo67

August 9th, 2008, 2:14 am #21

I love the Steve Reeves peplums. I haven't seen White Warrior yet, though I also have that Mill Creek 50 pack. I recently found a great deal on the OOP Trimark DVD box set, The Adventures of Hercules, and today I watched The Trojan Horse.

Carl

Do we have a folder that would fit in this genre?

gfanikf

August 9th, 2008, 3:11 pm #22

I think technically Foreign Horror (but its a very unread section compared to the others) but 50s and 60s are also good and I've posted about these films in the laster two. Maybe a Mod could suggest one.

MJBare
MJBare

September 28th, 2012, 9:42 pm #23

For me, my favorites are the Hercules, Herc Unchained, Morgan the Pirate and Thief of Baghdad. I thank my mom for taking me to the movies to see them. I was so bummed because I kept missing showings of the re-release of the Hercules films in 1972-3 era. I was in the Air Force and missed them playing at the base by my arrival there a couple of days later.

I've found some decent widescreens of Herc, Herc Unchained, Duel of the Titans and, though I haven't watched it yet, Last days of Pompei.

It always irks me that TCM, when it plays Morgan, the titles are in widescreen, but not the rest of the film.

I'm still looking for a widescreen of Thief.

bromstaker

September 29th, 2012, 2:28 am #24

I've been into weight lifting on and off since my teens, and I think Steve Reeves had the perfect physique. If memory serves, he was a big advocate of natural bodybuilding in his later years. 
Last edited by bromstaker on September 29th, 2012, 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 29th, 2012, 3:27 am #25

MJBare wrote:I thank my mom for taking me to the movies to see them. I was so bummed because I kept missing showings of the re-release of the Hercules films in 1972-3 era.

The same with me. I barely understood the idea of re-releases, so I guess I thought of them as two big ' 72 films. (The same way with "Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm.")

Someone on another thread said that toward the end of Goliath and the Vampires, when Goliath fights the creature played by a another Peplum actor, it's an uncredited Reeves fighting with Scott. Is that correct?

Monsterpal

May 27th, 2018, 7:37 pm #26

Grant.monsterkidclassichorrorforum wrote:
Someone on another thread said that toward the end of Goliath and the Vampires, when Goliath fights the creature played by a another Peplum actor, it's an uncredited Reeves fighting with Scott. Is that correct?
I believe it was Giovanni Cianfriglia. He was a stuntman for Steve Reeves. And you can see Big Steve punch him out in Duel of the Titans!

Rakshasa

May 27th, 2018, 8:53 pm #27

Testing
Hey, how much for the Buick?

May 28th, 2018, 12:39 am #28

Well, if you want something visual that's not too abysmal, we can take in an old Steve Reeves movie.

blufeld

May 28th, 2018, 2:24 pm #29

I think Steve when gave up the supernaturally strong (after GOLIATH AND THE BARBARIANS), roles and when to characters that were strong but not like Hercules, my viewership went down for Steve-give me Gordon Scott, Mark Forest, Alan Steel. etc.  Steve still made peplum, but without boulder tossing and felling temples.

BoLorKay

July 1st, 2018, 12:13 pm #30

I tied watching Steve's "Sandokan the Great" last night but, I don't know... it didn't seem to reach me.  Perhaps I was just giving in to the excessive heat around my neck of the woods.  I'll have to give it a second chance.

Jobla

July 11th, 2018, 7:30 pm #31

I'd say that Steve's last good films were THE SLAVE and DUEL OF THE TITANS.  I'm less enamored of SANDOKAN THE GREAT, PIRATES OF MALAY, and A LONG RIDE FROM HELL.

Every Steve Reeves film is available in its original aspect ratio somewhere in the world on home video, except THIEF OF BAGHDAD.  All we have of that film is a matted (1:85-1) transfer that was done on VHS by "The French Film Club" in the mid-1980's.  I wonder what ever became of the camera negative and widescreen 35mm prints of BAGHDAD?

Reeves reportedly made a cameo appearance in the satirical Italian film THE SHORTEST DAY, but I don't think that film is available anywhere.  It was probably never dubbed into English.

blufeld

July 12th, 2018, 3:38 pm #32

I've read that Steve had a nasty crash of charoits in LAST DAYS OF POMPEEI, injuring his left shoulder which him caused to him not be able give in shape in HERCULES.

Jobla

July 12th, 2018, 4:47 pm #33

It wasn't a chariot crash.  It was during the underwater swim at the conclusion of POMPEII.  His shoulder was already injured, and he further injured it during the underwater swim (the fire spread much further than expected, forcing him to swim much further than he anticipated). 

If you watch his later films closely, he's always favoring his bad shoulder during sword fights.  His bad arm hardly moves.

blufeld

July 13th, 2018, 1:24 pm #34

Jobla wrote: It wasn't a chariot crash.  It was during the underwater swim at the conclusion of POMPEII.  His shoulder was already injured, and he further injured it during the underwater swim (the fire spread much further than expected, forcing him to swim much further than he anticipated). 

If you watch his later films closely, he's always favoring his bad shoulder during sword fights.  His bad arm hardly moves.
"His shoulder was already injured..."  From a chariot crash?

Jobla

July 13th, 2018, 4:25 pm #35

Let me correct myself, thanks to the book STEVE REEVES--HIS LEGACY IN FILMS: 

Reeves hit a tree while driving a chariot while making LAST DAYS OF POMPEII.

He later re-injured the shoulder while doing the underwater swim under the flames, and it never healed properly.

My five favorite Steve Reeves films, in order of preference:

1---GIANT OF MARATHON
2---THIEF OF BAGHDAD
3---THE SLAVE
4---THE LAST DAYS OF POMPEII
5---MORGAN THE PIRATE

blufeld

July 13th, 2018, 6:50 pm #36

Jobla wrote: Let me correct myself, thanks to the book STEVE REEVES--HIS LEGACY IN FILMS: 

Reeves hit a tree while driving a chariot while making LAST DAYS OF POMPEII.

He later re-injured the shoulder while doing the underwater swim under the flames, and it never healed properly.

My five favorite Steve Reeves films, in order of preference:

1---GIANT OF MARATHON
2---THIEF OF BAGHDAD
3---THE SLAVE
4---THE LAST DAYS OF POMPEII
5---MORGAN THE PIRATE
No Hercules?

Rick

July 14th, 2018, 2:39 am #37

My favorite Steve Reeves films:

1.   HERCULES
2.   HERCULES UNCHAINED
3.   GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES   (according to IMDb, he's in there)
4.   ATHENA
5.   something else 
“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
~ Douglas Adams, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

blufeld

July 14th, 2018, 2:12 pm #38

Anybody do the double-take when Steve Reevis' name shows up in the credits of a movie?

Rodster

July 14th, 2018, 11:31 pm #39

I'm a big fan of Steve and got to interview him for a marathon telephone session in July of 1997. He sounded nothing like Hercules but was very forthcoming. I'm also happy to say he sent me three autographed photos, which I still have. He was a great guy, and I was completely shocked when he passed away at the relatively young age of 74. 

Monsterpal

July 15th, 2018, 1:20 am #40

So was I, Rod. I met him and Gordon Scott at a Beverly Garland convention about a year before that, where they shared an autograph table. I gushed and told them they were my heroes when I was a kid. They couldn't have been more friendly, especially Reeves. He looked amazingly healthy, but just a few months later Hercules was gone.