Space Giants

Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra, Gamera and friends
TheCreep

August 24th, 2010, 7:43 pm #41

Hachigatsu wrote:Creep, you are melding two different locations in that episode of ULTRAMAN together. The center of the action in the narrative is a museum for children. Some of the children end up in a hospital in the last 1/3 of the episode. You are correct with the cast of THE SPACE GIANTS, Egi plays Miko Mura (Mamoru Murakami in the Japanese version), Masami Okada plays Ito "Tom" Mura (Atsushi Murakami), and Ninomiya plays Gam (Gamu). Ninomiya is actually in the cast of the first and third DAIMAJIN films. You can also see Okada as Mohammed Monsur in Koji Hashimoto's SAYONARA JUPITER (1984).

Hachigatsu wrote:Creep, you are melding two different locations in that episode of ULTRAMAN together. The center of the action in the narrative is a museum for children. Some of the children end up in a hospital in the last 1/3 of the episode.

Not melding them together on purpose, however--sorry for that one, it was a long time ago that I saw the episode, but the fact it was some sort of big place for kids, or some sort of place they could play, is what gave me the idea. I need to start re-watching these.

Hachigatsu

August 24th, 2010, 7:48 pm #42

No worries, Creep... memories do that — I know it wasn't on purpose. But, still, re-watch them!

TheCreep

August 24th, 2010, 8:03 pm #43

Hachigatsu wrote:No worries, Creep... memories do that — I know it wasn't on purpose. But, still, re-watch them!

I totally agree, there is NO wrong time to watch (or re-watch) an old monster favorite, no matter what it is, and giant monsters definitely up the ante for a second viewing. Done!

April 28th, 2011, 7:27 pm #44

I can definitely attest that it was on earlier than 1978-79, and in syndication. Saw it in Philly on Channel 29 in the early 70s around the time of the original Monster Times article. SG, Ultraman and Johnny Sokko were childhood staples. But by 1979 all that was left locally was Spectreman, and by 1980 even that was gone. As far as I know, anyway.

When I first got back into Japanese live-action shows in the mid-80s-- thanks to finding Damon Foster's ad in the back of Japanese Giants #7 that I happened to stumble across-- I despaired of ever having anything other than Joel Eisner's rather motley collection of English SG episodes (all 3 1/2 of them). But then...

A friend of mine was set up at some East Coast comic convention-- in Delaware or Maryland I think-- back in the late 80s/early 90s and he met someone who told him that they had Space Giants on TV in English, taped off TBS. He FOLLOWED THEM HOME and secured the tapes, which became (through recopying) the English language source for all dupes, dubs and boots in circulation. Only problem was, the recordings were somewhat haphazard and both the beginning and end of Episode Seven are not there-- just a brief part in the middle which, ironically, has very little dialogue.

Which is why even the ha ha ho ho "legitimate" VHS releases by Angel Gabrielle stopped at Episode 6. (Although I'm sure that's not the ONLY reason). I haven't heard from my friend in years but it's amazing that in all this time no English version of Episode 7 has ever hit the fan circuit-- unless one has, and I don't know about it-- yet.

April 28th, 2011, 7:29 pm #45

Oh, and ironically, the one episode that was completely missing from those English episodes was on the Joel Eisner tape! And coincidentally for this thread it was part two of the amusement parrk episode.

April 28th, 2011, 7:54 pm #46

Just read Bob Johnson's amazing article linked in a previous post. Nice to see my memories were pretty accurate... And there is at least one existing print of "Monsters from Outer Space" because I have a VHS of it. It's Vacuma Part 4--- and includes a couple lines of dialogue not on that taped-off-TBS collection I mentioned earlier. And some really inane lyrics set to the original Magma Taishi theme song...

Hachigatsu

April 28th, 2011, 8:50 pm #47

Interesting... When this website posted the article (as was brought to my attention), my name was on the byline with Mr. Johnson, but was recently removed. The article was originally written by myself, with contributions by Mr. Johnson, for the 1990s 'zine, Kaiju Reivew — which I still have copies of. The webmasters (one of them being Mr. Johnson) neither asked my permission or consent to republish said article, and now, by removing my name, it makes the situation... intriguing. Of course, it seems to have been reformatted and rewritten, but in comparing the two articles, the original source should be obvious.

April 28th, 2011, 8:53 pm #48

Sorry to hear you two had a falling out.

Hachigatsu

April 28th, 2011, 9:56 pm #49

This is where "The Making of The Space Giants" article ends. It's strange, I don't know what happened to the rest of it — which was originally planned as a centerpiece for Markalite #5 or #6 — but, I do remember the last paragraph of the article being a quote from actor Toshio Egi (looking back at the show), saying that he sometimes wishes that he could call Magma on his whistle, and that Magma would come to our rescue (or some-such). The next page following this is the Episode Guide, written by Mr. Johnson (while I edited). During this time period, I would give all of our articles the final edit, as the main fact-checker, sometimes doing some rewriting, before they would be submitted. I'm sure that by reading this article, and my book, you can see the similar narrative style between them, so it's obvious who wrote this. Also, as you can see on the first page of the article, Mr. Johnson's name comes first; I did that out of the monotony that all of our co-authored articles usually featured my name ahead of his — so, I did this because we were friends, and friends do these things for one another (and they don't expect that act to be taken advantage of years later; but as the Japanese say, "Ningen-no shomei").
Last edited by Hachigatsu on April 28th, 2011, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hachigatsu

April 28th, 2011, 10:01 pm #50

BennySabola wrote:Sorry to hear you two had a falling out.
Sh*t happens. Then you move on. Others can't. It's kind of sad, really.

April 28th, 2011, 10:04 pm #51

I have that issue. If it's any consolation, when it comes to this subject matter, you really can't think of Bob Johnson's name without mentally adding "By August Ragone and" to the front of it. BTW what specifically does "Ningen-no shomei" mean? Somehow I have a feeling I may have some apropos situations of my own for it.

Godziwolf

August 8th, 2018, 5:06 pm #52

Hachigatsu wrote: IIRC that was THE SPACE GIANTS Episodes 41 & 42, which are set in an amusement park. SPECTREMAN also had an episode set in an amusement park (Episode 61), but this wasn't the case with ULTRAMAN which didn't have an amusement park episode.
Don't Godman and/or Greenman have an amusement park episode, too?