SHIN GODZILLA (2016) Is Kaiju by Way of Kubrick

stevedemidio

April 16th, 2018, 5:15 pm #1

As much a social satire as it is a monster movie, this bold new vision from Godzilla’s homeland has got a lot on its mind.

I finally had a chance to catch up with Toho Studios’ 2016 live-action Godzilla movie, Shin Godzilla, or, Godzilla Resurgence, and though I knew going in that it was supposed to be unlike any Godzilla film ever made, I was still taken aback by what I saw.
     This is something completely new in the Godzilla canon. In fact it may be the beginning of a whole new canon—as if Toho is content to let Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures play with the old Godzilla for a bit while they take their legacy monster in another, more deeply thematic direction. At its heart, Shin Godzilla is a movie about modern Japan, a sometimes very funny self-critique, if you will, of a society that’s become hobbled by bureaucracy and international obligations to the point where its people are losing their vitality, and perhaps even beginning to forget who they are.
     Unleash an unspeakable horror on these folks, however, and they start to remember in a hurry.
     About halfway through the film I began to wonder if Stanley Kubrick was an influence on the script. Thematically, it reminded me very much of Dr. Strangelove and A Clockwork Orange, two films that brilliantly illustrated how the unthinkable has a way of revealing civilization’s flaws.
     If this all sounds a bit weird to you, take heart. It’s still a spectacular monster movie with some highly inventive surprises. For one thing Godzilla evolves over the course of the story, showing up as a wobbly quadruped and then working his way up to something more familiar just in time for the film’s riveting final battle.
     As a lifelong Godzilla fan, I enjoyed the movie very much. I appreciated that the filmmakers did something different with the material, and judging from the film’s shocking final shot, they’re just getting started.

Originally published at WonderAlliance.com
gRygsij8I5N6o894bIpzCXxquSi.jpg
Editor and Publisher of WonderAlliance.com. Sign-up for my Weekly News email (http://www.wonderalliance.com/newsletter/) and I'll put monsters in your mailbox.

nicecubes

April 18th, 2018, 2:35 am #2

The film could be called the only "art house" Godzilla film (with the possible exception of the weird and surreal Godzilla vs the Smog Monster. 

bigcatrik

April 18th, 2018, 4:44 am #3

It was sure nice to go to a theater and see the actual movie subtitled. Foreign dramas aren't tampered with, but foreign genre films are sliced, diced, and dubbed to be more "palatable." Uggh.

Saturday8pm

April 21st, 2018, 3:14 am #4

Yep, I liked the film too, though it dragged in places. 
But kudos for trying something new and updating 
the original plot. In many ways this new angle is 
more terrifying than the original because we've 
lived with nukes now all our lives. Nukes are 
sorta the disease to which we've grown 
accustomed.

As for more of the same, guess we'll have to wait 
for that – story is that legally Toho can't continue 
'til 2021 or so. Naturally all this proves that man's 
worst creation is – The Law!
"Pull the stringk! PULL THE STRINGK!!!"

MadScientist

April 21st, 2018, 11:42 am #5

I really didn't like this movie at all.  I wanted too, but it wasn't for me.  I didn't like the new concept of Godzilla, yes the need to try something new for modern audiences but it didn't work for me.  What really upset me at this film was the anti-American message. Lets see America, somehow, calculates that there is a 13% chance of Godzilla attacking the US so naturally America's solution is to pop a nuke on Tokyo.  The real villain  of this movie are the American.   I was deeply offended by this.  Do the Japanese really think that is a viable solution by rational human beings?  Sorry Toho, you can all go to hell.   I wont watch another Godzilla movie, nor any other Toho movie.  That's it for me. 

nicecubes

April 21st, 2018, 8:32 pm #6

MadScientist wrote: I really didn't like this movie at all.  I wanted too, but it wasn't for me.  I didn't like the new concept of Godzilla, yes the need to try something new for modern audiences but it didn't work for me.  What really upset me at this film was the anti-American message. Lets see America, somehow, calculates that there is a 13% chance of Godzilla attacking the US so naturally America's solution is to pop a nuke on Tokyo.  The real villain  of this movie are the American.   I was deeply offended by this.  Do the Japanese really think that is a viable solution by rational human beings?  Sorry Toho, you can all go to hell.   I wont watch another Godzilla movie, nor any other Toho movie.  That's it for me. 
well...america is viewed as a very aggressive country and bully by much of the world (deservedly to a great extent) and the memory of our use of 2 atomic bombs on civilian targets is a powerful and awful memory. But I am sure TOHO and Japan will miss your patronage...lol. We will inform them of their great loss of your viewership.😝

Godziwolf

April 25th, 2018, 9:26 pm #7

bigcatrik wrote: It was sure nice to go to a theater and see the actual movie subtitled.  Foreign dramas aren't tampered with, but foreign genre films are sliced, diced, and dubbed to be more "palatable."  Uggh.
Gwoemul (The Host) and Trollhunter came to the US subtitled.