Scream Factory announces CREEPSHOW

Jameson281

July 5th, 2018, 7:06 pm #1

**NEW TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT**

We are proud (and so unbelievably excited) to reveal today that we are prepping to release the classic George A. Romero and Stephen King 1982 anthology CREEPSHOW this Fall in an all-new upgraded presentation! Because we feel this is a rather huge and beloved title, we are rolling this out a little more uniquely so please read carefully for all the details that we have at the time.

• Naturally, this will be branded as a “Collector’s Edition” but packaged a bit differently than we have done in the past for other CEs. This will come with a rigid slipcover (like what we did with the deluxe version release of Nightbreed) that will house a Blu-ray case and a collectible booklet featuring a new essay from Michael Gingold (Fangoria, Rue-Morgue, Dellirium). The newly-commissioned artwork pictured on the slipcase is from Laz Marquez (Army of Darkness, The Howling and Lifeforce steelbooks).

• The Blu-ray case wrap inside will be reversible featuring original theatrical artwork on both sides. (The “ticket booth” one and the “Comic book” one.)
• New extras and specs are still in progress and will be announced later in September. Rest-assured we have plenty planned and…we are in progress of doing an all-new film transfer!
• This will be the national release which streets on October 23rd. U.S. and Canada territories (Region A).
THE FOLLOWING INFO BELOW REFERS TO THE EXCLUSIVE LIMITED-EDITION WEBSITE OFFER (ONLY 1,500 AVAILABLE):
• If you order Creepshow from our site directly you will receive the Blu-ray two weeks early and the following exclusively-made-for us items:
• A rolled 28.5” x 16.5” lithograph poster of the slipcase art
by Laz Marquez
• A rolled 18” x 24” poster of alternative art illustration, also
by Laz Marquez
• Pre-order link @ https://www.shoutfactory.com/…/creepsho ... r-s-editio

Jobla

July 5th, 2018, 10:11 pm #2

Looks interesting.  This isn't a favorite of mine, but I haven't owned a copy of the film since the laserdisc era, so I might pick this up.

hando88c

July 5th, 2018, 11:28 pm #3

Awesome

Crow T Robot

July 5th, 2018, 11:31 pm #4

I'll get it.  I enjoyed the first one quite a bit.  The 2nd one was just OK.  

Wolfman Joe

July 6th, 2018, 12:05 am #5

Finally! The DVD of this great fun film is a real p.o.s.; I've been waiting for this release for a long time! C'mon, Scream Factory - do MARTIN next!

Rick

July 6th, 2018, 12:52 am #6

Wolfman Joe wrote:C'mon, Scream Factory - do MARTIN next!
I don't really care about CREEPSHOW, but I couldn't agree more about MARTIN.
“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
~ Douglas Adams, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

Jameson281

July 6th, 2018, 1:00 am #7

Wolfman Joe wrote: C'mon, Scream Factory - do MARTIN next!
It's reportedly stuck in Rights Hell with DAWN OF THE DEAD.  Or maybe one should say Licensor Hell--reportedly the rights holder wants an unreasonable amount of money.
Last edited by Jameson281 on July 6th, 2018, 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rodster

July 6th, 2018, 1:13 am #8

Something tells me this will be a grand presentation, much grander than the film deserves. I saw Creepshow in a Bangor, Maine cinema in either October or November of 82, and King was in attendance. It was a special showing, and I got to go because my sister was a DJ at King's radio station, WZON. I wanted to like the movie, I really did...but overall, I found it rather cheap looking and not at all scary or even interesting. As an homage to EC, it's pretty bland, and the horror elements are mild. And I really disliked the bookending story, with a completely stereotypical "Dad" and his annoying, tongue-tied son (played by King's real life boy). Creepshow II had better stories, in my opinion. 

Rakshasa

July 6th, 2018, 2:52 am #9

I've had a double-disk Region 2 DVD of CREEPSHOW for many years (I'm guessing I've had it since 2006?). 

Not sure if I would double dip on this. I saw it when it was new and really enjoyed it, but these days, I don't watch it very often. 
Hey, how much for the Buick?

taraco
Burgomaster
taraco
Burgomaster

July 6th, 2018, 3:36 am #10

CREEPSHOW doesn't get the respect it deserves.

Far more time is spent discussing Amicus and other anthologies when CREEPSHOW in many ways did it better, and was far more fun.

CHEROKEEBRUCE

July 6th, 2018, 3:58 am #11

Released by Universal  in the U.K.2007

July 6th, 2018, 5:17 am #12

My feelings about Creepshow have been pretty consistent over time.

Father's Day - Fun cast, fun set-pieces, but kinda thin and lacking any real impact.

Lonesome Death Of Jody Verill - Worst of the bunch, played for laughs with no laughs. It's even kind of confusing, like something got lost in editing.

Something To Tide You Over - Better, but kinda has a spare made-for-TV vibe.

The Crate - Solid and pretty effective, great cast, Savini's monster isn't all that menacing though.

They're Creeping Up On You - The redeemer of the weak first three. E. G. Marshall is a treat in every scene he's in, and luckily he's in every scene.

Not sure if I need a new BD, though it probably won't be hard to best the 2009 BD. I still have UK DVD with a boatload of extras too.

amanaplan1

July 6th, 2018, 10:22 am #13

Saw it first run.  For two such well-known creators, it was underwhelming.  Kinda like the TZ movie.  Almost any other Hammer or Amicus anthology did it better.

A big "Eh."

Rakshasa

July 6th, 2018, 10:55 am #14

"Something To Tide You Over" was always my favorite. I still get uncomfortable thinking about Danson and Galen Ross buried up to their necks with the waves rolling in. 

Then, that first time we hear them whisper Leslie Nielson's name. It almost sounds like it's the wind and tide, but you can just faintly make out his name, "Richard", under the wet gurgle. 

And the big reveal, when he opens the door in dead silence and the two of them are standing right there. His maniacal insane terrified reaction with the comic book colors behind him? Totally works for me. Sends cold chills down my spine. "We dug a hole for you, Richard, on the beach..."

Yeah, I really like that one. 

I'm definitely a fan of the film. I just don't know if I'll spend the money to double dip. Maybe. New extras will certainly be a plus, though I have zero interest in reversible slip-cases and free added value posters. 
Hey, how much for the Buick?

chrisschillig

July 6th, 2018, 11:39 am #15

This release is intriguing for nostalgic reasons, if nothing else — the homage to EC and King's wacky role. It might be fun for somebody to remake this movie someday. 

Wolfman Joe

July 6th, 2018, 11:56 am #16

Can we assume that there will be a "regular" collectors' edition released after the first limited run? As much as I enjoy this movie, I'm not sure that I need any posters. 

Crow T Robot

July 6th, 2018, 12:01 pm #17

Wolfman Joe wrote: Can we assume that there will be a "regular" collectors' edition released after the first limited run? As much as I enjoy this movie, I'm not sure that I need any posters. 
That appears to be their own website exclusive version.  Rest assured you'll see it in the stores.  Well, if there are any stores left that sell older movies on bluray. 

July 6th, 2018, 2:05 pm #18

CREEPSHOW kind of reminds me of COMEDY OF TERRORS, a lot of talent behind and in front of the camera, good intentions, but somehow nobody's best work (E. G. Marshall excluded). It's almost as if all parties let the novelty of what they were doing overtake the basics, resulting in something that boarders on being campy instead of scary.

TALES FROM THE CRYPT (Amicus movie) played it's material straight, didn't have literal "comic" transitions and graphics, yet somehow gets closer to the spirit of the comics.

All of Romero's work has it's redeeming aspects, but I think he's just better when his films put horror in "real-world" backdrops.

Monsterkid

July 6th, 2018, 9:18 pm #19

I, for one, love this film and can't wait for this release. 
Check out my Vintage Poster and Mask Collection at TheHauntedCinema.com

Crow T Robot

July 6th, 2018, 9:23 pm #20

I love the look of the film.  It's looks like a live-action comic book.  The stories were OK.  Not great, but for this type of film they fit.