nicecubes

12:14 AM - Apr 28, 2016 #41

I bought the original issue of these books. I have pre ordered 2 of the updated. Simply put, these are stunning and my admiration and appreciation for the work that went into these is simply beyond words. These are astounding, and worth every penny.

Hausenfan

9:41 PM - Apr 28, 2016 #42

ernieworld wrote:
Hausenfan wrote:
I treasure the original trio of books. I'd like to get the supplemental info, just wish it was on paper instead of PDF.
Thanks for the kind words. I'm actually leaning towards printing the supplement. I could prefer that, too, and many other have expressed the same thing. Sign up to our mailing list on the website (if you're not already on the list), as I'll announce the final approach as soon as I work out the numbers. Lotsa good stuff in the supplement...
Terrific news!  I would definitely order the paper supplement!  I'm on the mailing list, and eagerly await any updates. Thanks!

meessiep

3:23 PM - Apr 30, 2016 #43

Yes yes YES to a printed supplement!!

sk

vctrnsfgwee

3:37 PM - May 02, 2016 #44

I believe a printed version of the supplement would be successful. Most of the people who care about Ray Harryhausen are older and are more likely to prefer the printed page to electronic media.

Crow T Robot

4:10 PM - May 02, 2016 #45

vctrnsfgwee wrote:
I believe a printed version of the supplement would be successful. Most of the people who care about Ray Harryhausen are older and are more likely to prefer the printed page to electronic media.
Yeah, and older people like to b!tch & complain, so a printed version would be great for them.  I can hear them now..."What?!  You printed a supplement to the original 3 volumes?  I already bought them and now you want me to buy even more?  You should have included all this stuff in the original volumes and now you want me to give you more of my money?  You should be giving this stuff out for free for all the money it cost to buy the original 3 books!?  You didn't put this stuff in the original books just so you could get more money out of me"

If there is one thing in life I've learned, it's that some people are never satisfied. 

In all seriousness, the more Harryhausen material, the better.  Keep up the EXCELLENT work, Ernie.  All the accolades to you. 

Hausenfan

1:15 AM - May 03, 2016 #46

Some older people enjoy complaining. They are not really unhappy, they are having the time of their lives spreading their discontent. Take my mother in law.....PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crow T Robot

2:12 AM - May 03, 2016 #47

You kids better stay off my lawn!!!

mikemajicks

5:37 PM - Jun 20, 2016 #48

I am a little late coming to these postings, but I would like to add some comments to those already expressed by Ernie and Sam. Ernie was a little conservative on the time I have spent writing Majicks. My first serious interviews with Ray began in late 1983, with some interviews in the books going back to the late 1970s. The cost of the books has often come up, but would people have been satisfied with all this information and amazing images being presented on cheap newsprint and scattered without design or consideration on the pages? Sam said that Ernie is a perfectionist, and I can fully testify to that. Going to the utmost trouble to make sure that everything possible was included in the books right up until the last moment was a way of life for Ernie. On my side of things I travelled all over England to conduct interviews, spent many thousands of pounds on stills, posters, travel and so much more, chasing down every detail. Unfortunately, the information in the books didn't just come ready-formed from my head. I made two trips to California for futher interviews and actually see some of the things I was writing about. When you read about Ray receiving his 'Star' on the Hollywood Walk of Fame or his Memorial, this is not second-hand reporting, I was there. Ernie gathered together what every Harryhausen fan dreamed, details of his life and work and presented it in a set of books which hopefully will stand the test of time. To accuse Ernie, or I suppose myself as the author, of profiteering is laughable. If anyone wants to talk of the financial investment necessary to buy the books, they should try using up over a third of their life in putting something like this together.
Last edited by mikemajicks on 10:26 AM - Jun 22, 2016, edited 1 time in total.

ryanbrennan

6:08 PM - Jun 22, 2016 #49

Majicks is truly one of perhaps a handful of books in our genre that, as a finished product, are extravagant, beautiful, spectacular accomplishments on an epic scale in the publishing world.  I can think of few books -- Tim Lucas's All the Colors of the Dark, Taschen's Billy Wilder's Some Like It Hot, Jack Mathis's Valley of the Cliffhangers -- that contain the width and breadth of information, photographs, and attention to detail with such quality in a "no compromises" production.  The sheer size alone is staggering for a genre publication much less the high standards in layout, design, paper, and manufacturing.  Mike, your and Ernie's efforts, have made Majicks a labor of love in the best sense, a fact filled work of scholarship that will serve as a lasting tribute and memorial to Ray Harryhausen.  It's a shame that the financial remuneration doesn't reward for the level of the accomplishment.

Miles Wood

4:28 AM - Jan 03, 2017 #50

Any news on when we might be receiving these as it's been a while since the last update?

dynafan

6:31 PM - Jan 03, 2017 #51

Recommend you read the December 2016 update #4 on the Archive Editions website.

gardibolt

8:46 PM - Jan 03, 2017 #52

Thanks, I didn't know there was an update. Still quite a ways off by the looks of that checklist, but maybe we'll see it by 2018? I can wait for these extravagant volumes. I'd rather they do it right than feel like I should have waited for a THIRD edition (sorry, mikemajicks, hope I didn't induce a stroke--I know Tim Lucas didn't react well when I asked him about a second edition of the Bava Book).

Planetary

4:38 PM - Sep 07, 2017 #53

Has anyone heard anything on the progress of this set?  It's closing in on the tail end of 2017 nearly 3 years since pre-orders started being taken and no new updates since last Dec and pre-orders closed earlier this year and now no responses to emails about progress.

ernieworld

1:07 AM - Sep 08, 2017 #54

Planetary wrote:
4:38 PM - Sep 07, 2017
Has anyone heard anything on the progress of this set?  It's closing in on the tail end of 2017 nearly 3 years since pre-orders started being taken and no new updates since last Dec and pre-orders closed earlier this year and now no responses to emails about progress.
Someone mentioned your post to me-- I can't tell from your User Name who you are, but if I neglected answering an e-mail from you, I apologize. I do strive to answer all e-mails, and reasonably promptly, but sometimes I get behind or miss one. In any case, please be assured that I wasn't ignoring you (or anyone else).

I have been dealing with three different printers to lock down the final price and production calendar. There are many "moving parts" to this part of the process, and I'm analyzing costs and time schedules of printing in the U.S. vs. China. The original edition of the books was printed in China as the costs were literally 1/2 that of the U.S. (yet the same high quality). In the interim, it seems as though the cost paradigm has shifted and there may be advantages to printing in the U.S.

Anyway, I'm carefully evaluating many pages of technical details from the three printers and will settle on this soon. At that time I'll be able to announce a final printing/shipping schedule and will send out a Newsletter to all who have pre-ordered.

I closed down pre-orders about 4 weeks ago, and, as part of working with the printers, I am now tallying up the exact print runs (a fairly complex database I built to account for everyone's order and payment, listing single orders of each of the three volumes, the complete box set, individual orders of slipcases and/or the separate supplement book [the "PDF," which is now going to be a printed book of all the new material and corrections], the bookplate, the custom letter from the author, etc.).

Per my above comment, I haven't sent out any Newsletters because there hasn't been very much to report in a tangible way. Just the day-to-day grind of trying to work out the final business matters.

I realize the project has taken an *extraordinary* amount of time-- far, far longer than I ever anticipated. With the benefit of hindsight, I can say that my biggest mistake was announcing pre-orders two+ years ago. I thought at the time that it might take 3 or 4 months to complete the reprint edition, but with the flood of new material, both text and photos, combined with an effort the evolved into pretty much a complete overhaul of the entire 3-volume set in terms of graphics and layout design, the whole thing grew into a "Ben-Hur"-sized epic. Clearly I should have waited until right about now to announce the reprint edition.

In any case, things continue to move forward in a positive way, steadily if slowly. This is a one-man operation, from design to retouching photos to text editing to business matters, the website, Newsletters, and everything else. So inevitably just about every step of the way takes longer than if I had an actual staff or even one assistant. But I'm making steady progress and and looking forward to getting things wrapped up as soon as possible.

All pre-orders and payments are safe and sound, and I hope everyone will stick with me as I think the results to be worth the wait.

Thanks to all for your support and patience.

Ernie Farino
Ernest Farino
Archive Editions

Dick
Dick

2:24 AM - Sep 08, 2017 #55

I bought these books individually upon their original first printing, and paid a fortune for them. Later I had to sell them due to a periodic financial crisis, but by that time I had read every book cover to cover, line by line. They're superb works. Disappointingly at the time I had to put them on eBay auction, I found these books had actually lost their resale value, in spite of being out of print and in near-mint condition. If I come into a large sum of money, I might try and buy these back, although I see that pre-orders are closed down.

SAM33

1:33 PM - Sep 08, 2017 #56

Pleased to hear the new material will now be printed again rather than just a PDF? I have all the originals.
Will you still be able to get that, or is that now a closed thing?

SAM33

ryanbrennan

12:02 AM - Sep 09, 2017 #57

SAM33 wrote: Pleased to hear the new material will now be printed again rather than just a PDF? I have all the originals.
Will you still be able to get that, or is that now a closed thing?

SAM33
I'm excited about the PDF going to print, too.  Much preferred.  And no doubt another one of the many "moving parts" Ernie referenced since that wasn't in the cards when he started the reprint machinery in motion.  No doubt it took some time re-designing that material for physical media.  Not to mention having to consider and deal with the extra cost in printing.

rvoyttbots

12:51 AM - Sep 09, 2017 #58

Rats! I didn`t realize the updates would be printed in book form.

davebalme

11:56 AM - Sep 12, 2017 #59

rvoyttbots wrote: Rats! I didn`t realize the updates would be printed in book form.
Yes, me too. I bought all three volumes when they came out and was disappointed when Ernie offered the update as a PDF only.

gardibolt

10:24 PM - Oct 11, 2018 #60

It turns out there was an update #5 on the website, which I missed and apparently others did too. Since there's reference to tariffs, I assume this is from earlier in 2018:
Update #5

I am hoping to go to press this fall. I know my time estimates haven’t been very good in the past, but I am working every day to get this project wrapped up.
There have no real problems with the project; it has just taken a long time to complete. This is a one-man operation (me) so I have to take care of everything myself. And the processes take time. For example, I had to break up the Kong chapter in Vol. 1 into 5 sections because the files are so big, and even at that so each section took 6-7 hours to output and upload. And that’s just for one chapter across the complete 3-volume set.
Also, the graphics card in my main computer went out recently so the computer was in the shop for about two weeks (the graphics card had to be ordered special). No files were lost or any other problems, but things like that happen occasionally and interrupt the work.
Other than that, everything’s looking good, and I’m confident you will be pleased with the results.
As soon as the files are handed off to the printer we will be able to lock down a detailed production calendar, including the soft-proof process, delivery of the files to the factory in China, the printed (paper) proof of the books, dust jackets, slipcases and other elements, the printing, the transport (by ship) to the Port of Los Angeles, inland trucking to my location, and final packing and shipping of individual orders. Such a calendar will mirror the detail in the production checklist shown below to provide everyone with a step-by-step timeline of the final production of the books.
A few orders of business:
FundAnything - The original pre-order funding for this project was through the crowd-funding site FundAnything. For all intents and purposes this crowd funding resource no longer exists. However, all of the pledges made as part of our original campaign were received and logged in, and all orders are still in place and intact. So don't be concerned that the original FundAnything site no longer functions.
Tariffs - Since the Majicks books are printed in China, some folks have expressed concerns over the recent tarrifs imposed by the U.S. government on imports from China. To the best of my understanding, these tariffs do not include printed products or paper. Thus, at this time at least, there is no financial impact on the Majicks project.

Thanks again to everyone for their support, enthusiasm, and saintly patience with this project. Everyone's anticipation for the end result (including mine) is almost palpable, but I truly feel the project will be worth the wait.
— Ernest Farino
Publisher
PS: I closed down pre-orders a while back, but several people later stepped up to order. I have not yet locked down the final print run, so if you know anyone who would like to order, or if you would like to add-to or upgrade your existing order, I can still accept individual pre-orders.