blufeld

4:18 PM - Oct 10, 2018 #61

And here's a new poster: https://www.imdb.com/offsite/?page-acti ... nws_art_sm

The new trailer is supposed to be out today (Wednesday).  Rodster.

blufeld

5:47 PM - Oct 11, 2018 #62

Here's the trailer:

Rodster

7:45 PM - Oct 11, 2018 #63

Based on that rapid-fire trailer alone (which I've watched five times), seems they're not straying far enough away from the original--outside of cosmetic things like making Pascow black and Zelda being played by a real ten year old, and not a thin, emaciated adult. I still think Louis looks too old, and so does Gage. But Ellie seems fine. Judd sounds like a retired prof from the University of Maine, so I don't think he'll bring much to the table. "The earth is bad?" I thought the "earth is sour!" As for the kids taking part in that "Children of the Corn" ritual, wearing masks that no kid ever made, well, it's just dumb. The one real improvement the filmmakers could make would be to show us a wendigo, and Judd seems to hint at one. Whatever, I'll see the thing and keep an open mind, but I can tell you guys right now, it won't top the original in any significant way. 

Rick

11:23 PM - Oct 11, 2018 #64

Rodster wrote:I'll see the thing and keep an open mind, but I can tell you guys right now, it won't top the original in any significant way. 
Seems as if you opened your mind at the start of that sentence and slammed it shut at the end.
“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
~ Douglas Adams, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

Bob Meyer

12:55 AM - Oct 12, 2018 #65

Trailer has peaked my interest.  The inclusion of Amy Seimetz in the cast bodes well - I've seen her in a few things and she's a real screen presence and an excellent actress.  I haven't seen the original since it came out, and wasn't much impressed at the time.

Dr Kelp

12:58 AM - Oct 12, 2018 #66

I've learned never trust the trailer

Rodster

1:01 AM - Oct 12, 2018 #67

Rick wrote:
Rodster wrote:I'll see the thing and keep an open mind, but I can tell you guys right now, it won't top the original in any significant way. 
Seems as if you opened your mind at the start of that sentence and slammed it shut at the end.
I'd like nothing better than to be "wowed," but based on that trailer, I'm thinking, "eh." We'll see. 

blufeld

5:28 PM - Oct 12, 2018 #68

Well, at least I know the who Halloween Kids are.  Church hasn't learned his lesson yet-he's sitting in the middle of the road.  Zombie cat vs. great big truck-I'll take the truck.  Jason Clarke vs. Dale Midkiff-I'll take Dale for looks, and Jason looks a little old, and he looks like he could lose a little weight.  But he's a good actor, better than Dale at that stage of his career.  Fred Gwynne vs. John Lithgow-gotta go with Fred.  I like Lithgow, but he doesn't seem the rural type and I can't see him hiking in the woods and climbing the deadfall (the IMBD says they bury Church in the pet cemetary).  Denise Crosby vs. Amy Seinmetz-Amy by a whole bunch.  Denise always (to me) seems a little cold and unfeeling, but that's everytime I see her in something.  I was hoping Jud's wife (cancer stricken) would be in this one, and maybe she will.  We don't have a good look at Pascow, so I'll refrain from comparing him to Brad Greenquist.  I haven't seen anything that would make me sell the original.

Rodster

6:18 PM - Oct 12, 2018 #69

blufeld wrote:
I haven't seen anything that would make me sell the original.
Not even the reveal of Louis' muddy feet while he's lying in bed? 

Oh, wait. That was in the original...

At least they made Church into a Maine Coon. 

blufeld

3:54 PM - Oct 13, 2018 #70

Yeah, I remember Louis' muddy feet.  Kinda funny when he sees them, and he strips the bed and throws them into the clothes hamper, thinking "Good, she'll never notice that."

2:39 AM - Oct 14, 2018 #71

blufeld wrote: Fred Gwynne vs. John Lithgow-gotta go with Fred.  I like Lithgow, but he doesn't seem the rural type and I can't see him hiking in the woods and climbing the deadfall
Lithgow may surprise you, despite his somewhat effete persona.   He's actually quite good in a movie called Rolling Thunder (1987), where he played a traumatized Vietnam vet who lives in the mountains.

Didn't really care much about a Pet Semetary remake until I heard of John Lithgow's casting, I think he'll pull it off and a recent Entertainment Weekly article perked me up about the film in general.  But like Fred Gwynne (and I get that this is the whole point), I'm a little disturbed at the thought of seeing such a gentle actor (Spoiler?) killed so brutally.

Rick

6:29 AM - Oct 14, 2018 #72

Time was a time when Lithgow wasn't thought of as such a gentle guy -- OBSESSION, BLOW OUT, RAISING CAIN.  Hmmm. Well, maybe only Brian DePalma cast him that way.
“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
~ Douglas Adams, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

3:51 PM - Oct 14, 2018 #73

Cliffhanger, Ricochet, and quite impressively, Dexter.   An actor acts, I guess.  Lithgow does come across as a heck of a nice guy, and I think that inherent likability is what has carried him so many years; he is somebody who gets a smile out of the audience when he shows up.

blufeld

4:52 PM - Oct 14, 2018 #74

When this started (remaking PET SEMETARY) years ago, the first choice to play Louis was George Clooney.  I thought, yeah right, I'm sure George wanted to remake a B movie.  Sheesh.

Rodster

5:07 PM - Oct 14, 2018 #75

The character of Judd Crandall isn't evil, badassed, or an "un-nice" guy. If anything, he's an affable old Mainer who befriends Louis, just like he did in the original film. What I don't like about this trailer is that it mines familiar territory while attempting rather desperately to separate itself from the first film. For example, Judd now sounds like a retired professor. Not a hint of a downeastern Maine accent. And never once do we hear Judd say, "sometimes, dead is better" or "The earth is sour." Instead, he says something like, "the dirt is bad." Well, that's kinda flat, if you ask me. Earth could be bad for planting because it's lost nutrients. But when it's gone SOUR, you know there's a big problem somewhere. I've a feeling Lithgow's take on Judd is of a more educated individual, so I wonder how they're going to deal with Judd's memories of actually burying his own dog in the MicMac burial ground.  

blufeld

6:37 PM - Oct 14, 2018 #76

Another quote from Jud:"The soil of a man's heart is stonier."

9:45 AM - Oct 15, 2018 #77

Dr Kelp wrote: I've learned never trust the trailer
I think that's now known as Green Lantern Syndrome.

Godziwolf

4:13 PM - Oct 16, 2018 #78

Rick wrote: Time was a time when Lithgow wasn't thought of as such a gentle guy -- OBSESSION, BLOW OUT, RAISING CAIN.  Hmmm. Well, maybe only Brian DePalma cast him that way.
Buckaroo Banzai...