old monster wall posters

Artifacts of monster mania. Plus the CHFB Monster Kit Gallery!
Crow T Robot

January 18th, 2018, 1:46 am #21

81kc5SopIVL.jpg

Wendigo

January 18th, 2018, 5:42 pm #22

We all seem to have looked at ( and often ordered from) the same ads. It's amazing I somehow missed the flying saucer one. I was frequently tempted by the submarine, but never quite got to the point of sending for it.

Unless one was able to order two copies and save one in-opened, I expect most of these eventually fell apart and landed in the dumps somewhere. Anybody have any idea how pricey surviving posters or submarines are?

MadScientist

January 21st, 2018, 5:30 pm #23

Wendigo wrote: We all seem to have looked at ( and often ordered from) the same ads. It's amazing I somehow missed the flying saucer one. I was frequently tempted by the submarine, but never quite got to the point of sending for it.

Unless one was able to order two copies and save one in-opened, I expect most of these eventually fell apart and landed in the dumps somewhere. Anybody have any idea how pricey surviving posters or submarines are?
The Flying Saucer was never in a comic or kid magazine as far as I can remember. I have never seen this item advertised anywhere and seems to be fairly rare. I am fairly certain it was some sort of RCA promotion.  My mum worked for RCA in the 60s and that's where it came from.  I will have to go through my old things and post a photo of the album cover for it had a photo of the assembles saucer with kids shown for size.  I haven't found a photo of this on the Internet.  Ebay has the loos 45s for sale.  The record has the RCA Victor label and it Number PRM 252-2  UNKM-5008 (disk 1) and Number PRM 252-2  UNKM-5010.

I will dig out my album during this years spring cleaning and (hopefully find it ) and post an image.

SAM33

January 21st, 2018, 6:10 pm #24

The framed Frankenstein and Dracula posters make very cool collectibles today Kookster!
Lucky you, thanks for sharing...

SAM33

tv horror

January 23rd, 2018, 8:32 pm #25

I always wanted these toys especially the Submarine, while I live in the U.K these seemed impossible to own but hey a kid can dream. However I still have the wall posters of Karloff Lugosi Chaney still in their mailing tubes from the Captain company. Those giant posters look great framed maybe one day if I can find a wall! 

Wendigo

January 24th, 2018, 5:03 pm #26

My own room looked a good deal like Mark's in the '79 SALEM'S LOT which perhaps is another reason I'm fond of that TV-film. I even had some of the model-kits as in his room. It's odd I didn't order more of the posters and "submarines" and like from the comics, I must admit.

tv horror

January 24th, 2018, 9:42 pm #27

It's funny you should mention the comic adverts, I used to scratch my head at those adverts asking you to sell Grit? What the heck was Grit, I always thought it was soil or as it is called in the U.S dirt. I always picked out the telescope binoculars or the rocket and as a sideline the multi-tool compass, happy days. 

January 26th, 2018, 12:33 am #28

I LOVED reading GRIT when I was a kid!  They printed the best comic strips!

- GJS

Wich2

January 26th, 2018, 2:21 am #29

It was actually a decent (if you were okay with the rural/conservative lean) little general-interest paper. With, as Gary says, decent funnies - and even some fiction.

Rick

January 26th, 2018, 2:31 am #30

I never knew anyone to read GRIT, and, actually, don't believe I ever saw a copy of it. I was always confused about the ads asking kids to sell GRIT. Far as I knew the newspaper -- if it existed at all -- must have been read by so few people that I couldn't understand how anybody could make any profit from it, and I halfway thought those ads were some sort of scam on the children of America.
“We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities.”
― Oscar Wilde

Wich2

January 26th, 2018, 3:10 am #31

Nope.

In fact, it was still doing well in the '90s, when the ad placement company I dayjobbed at had it as a a client! In a weird way, it was a proto-version of USA TODAY.

Rick

January 26th, 2018, 3:18 am #32

Must not have made much of a dent in the Jeffersonville, Indiana market. I honestly believe the only times I ever heard of it were in those comic ads.
“We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities.”
― Oscar Wilde

Wich2

January 26th, 2018, 3:20 am #33

Oh, it wasn't big. But I saw it back in the day.

And it WAS "national."

tv horror

January 26th, 2018, 3:03 pm #34

Thank you for the information on Grit that's another of life's mysteries solved, a newspaper!

kneeteartap

May 17th, 2018, 4:41 am #35

The newsletter that came with the Moon Monster stated that Boris Karloff was Russian.

So much for journalistic integrity.
Kneeteartap