Mission Impossible Fallout (2018)

Dr Kelp

August 9th, 2018, 10:00 pm #1

I seem to be one of the only ones who post new films in this correct category. Anyway, good fun, high action scenes and lots of them. I was troubled by the young kids sitting near me who were at most 8 years old. I wanted to say something to the father but I didn't have the self defense skills of Tom Cruise. Check your brain at the door, they should have lockers outside the theater for just that. I consider these movies sci-fi for the gadgets and this one had stolen nuclear bombs and a madman willing to bring down all governments by detonating these and polluting the river in Kashmir which supplies crops for  100's of million of people downstream. You'll figure out who the bad guy is very early on and the ending with trying to disarm the detonator is so ludicrous that's why I suggest the lockers.
Why not just toss it out the window off the helicopter , case closed. I know, please don't respond and tell me what might have happened if you did that. I'm not in for an argument, I just got thru with one on the Avengers Infinty Wars.  Again, a lot of fun. 

rvoyttbots

August 10th, 2018, 12:39 am #2

Give it another viewing, the detonator thing is explained in the plot.

Dr Kelp

August 10th, 2018, 12:44 am #3

rvoyttbots wrote: Give it another viewing, the detonator thing is explained in the plot.
Very convoluted explanation, but I got out of it that the detonator had to be activated to stop it  and you needed it in conjuction with cutting the wires to diffuse the bomb. I don't remember anything that was said where the bad guy  couldn't just get rid of it so it couldn't be stopped.

rvoyttbots

August 10th, 2018, 1:07 am #4

the-mission-impossible-movies-t70547.html

The M:I thread concerning the movies if you`re interested.

Robert Troch

August 10th, 2018, 8:17 pm #5

Dr Kelp wrote:
rvoyttbots wrote: Give it another viewing, the detonator thing is explained in the plot.
Very convoluted explanation, but I got out of it that the detonator had to be activated to stop it  and you needed it in conjuction with cutting the wires to diffuse the bomb. I don't remember anything that was said where the bad guy  couldn't just get rid of it so it couldn't be stopped.
       It was pretty clear to me that Cavill (the bad guy) had no idea that the bomb could be stopped in any way. The other bad guy fighting Simon Pegg and the woman was completely confident it could not be stopped as well. Pegg (after much searching) figured it out when no one else had because it was supposed to be unstoppable once the countdown started. No confusion on that part at all.

R

Dr Kelp

August 10th, 2018, 9:18 pm #6

Robert Troch wrote:
Dr Kelp wrote:
       It was pretty clear to me that Cavill (the bad guy) had no idea that the bomb could be stopped in any way. The other bad guy fighting Simon Pegg and the woman was completely confident it could not be stopped as well. Pegg (after much searching) figured it out when no one else had because it was supposed to be unstoppable once the countdown started. No confusion on that part at all.

R
then why bother  taking the timer with him at all if nothing could stop it anyway.

Robert Troch

August 11th, 2018, 2:09 am #7

Dr Kelp wrote:
Robert Troch wrote:
Dr Kelp wrote:

R
then why bother  taking the timer with him at all if nothing could stop it anyway.
I don't know...to keep track of when it went off? He started the countdown right before he got on the helicopter so why not bring it instead of tossing it on the ground? I probably would have brought it with me too

Robert T

taraco
Burgomaster
taraco
Burgomaster

August 14th, 2018, 9:02 pm #8

Wow, MI: FALLOUT was incredibly entertaining on the big IMAX screen.

I had absolutely no idea about the convoluted who-was-who-when-and-why stuff. It was incomprehensible, though I sorta figured it out. Maybe. I think.

But the action was just superb, with lots of physical action. The car chases were a bit far-fetched (ya think?), but the ending was fabulous.  Really cleared my head for sure.  I'll watch Tom Cruise anytime, especially when running.

david

Rick

August 15th, 2018, 12:28 am #9

I enjoyed it a great deal, too. But, yes, some of it is incomprehensible, so just go with the flow.

I was reminded of an old joke. An American businessman in Switzerland runs into a watch shop to get his wristwatch repaired. He enters, talking very fast, "Hey, I need this fixed pronto, gotta catch a flight tomorrow morning. It's chromium, 17 jewel movement, been losing a couple of minutes every hour, can't have that, need to be on time, just fix it, whatever it takes, I'll be back first thing in the morning." And he's out the door. Behind the counter, the ancient little Swiss watchmaker looks up from his desk and says, "come in."

Early in FALLOUT, when we'd just gotten a long, confusing lecture on a bunch of details, I leaned over to my son and said, "come in."

But the movie is hugely entertaining, almost too much so. I think it could have shed an action sequence or two and still have been well worth the money. 

We saw it, without intending to, in 4DX. That's the thing where the seat moves around like crazy, wind blows, fog filters in, water blows in your face. I saw one of the new STAR TREK movies in that system, and while I kinda loved it, I hadn't intended to revisit the experience because it is hugely expensive, even by modern, NYC movie ticket price standards. But I didn't pay attention to the prices and, as a result, I'm now living on the streets. Well, not quite, but it was extraordinarily expensive.

But, while the whole rigamarole is totally unnecessary and even distracting, it's still kind of fun. During the helicopter chase, the seats flew and rocked and bounced so madly that I said to my son, "lawsuit!"

If you have a spare fortune and no spinal problems, I'd recommend everyone try this DX thing at least once. Probably at most once. It's pretty darn funny. And in this case, I loved the movie and the "ride".
“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
~ Douglas Adams, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

Dr Kelp

August 15th, 2018, 1:23 am #10

Rick wrote: I enjoyed it a great deal, too. But, yes, some of it is incomprehensible, so just go with the flow.

I was reminded of an old joke. An American businessman in Switzerland runs into a watch shop to get his wristwatch repaired. He enters, talking very fast, "Hey, I need this fixed pronto, gotta catch a flight tomorrow morning. It's chromium, 17 jewel movement, been losing a couple of minutes every hour, can't have that, need to be on time, just fix it, whatever it takes, I'll be back first thing in the morning." And he's out the door. Behind the counter, the ancient little Swiss watchmaker looks up from his desk and says, "come in."

Early in FALLOUT, when we'd just gotten a long, confusing lecture on a bunch of details, I leaned over to my son and said, "come in."

But the movie is hugely entertaining, almost too much so. I think it could have shed an action sequence or two and still have been well worth the money. 

We saw it, without intending to, in 4DX. That's the thing where the seat moves around like crazy, wind blows, fog filters in, water blows in your face. I saw one of the new STAR TREK movies in that system, and while I kinda loved it, I hadn't intended to revisit the experience because it is hugely expensive, even by modern, NYC movie ticket price standards. But I didn't pay attention to the prices and, as a result, I'm now living on the streets. Well, not quite, but it was extraordinarily expensive.

But, while the whole rigamarole is totally unnecessary and even distracting, it's still kind of fun. During the helicopter chase, the seats flew and rocked and bounced so madly that I said to my son, "lawsuit!"

If you have a spare fortune and no spinal problems, I'd recommend everyone try this DX thing at least once. Probably at most once. It's pretty darn funny. And in this case, I loved the movie and the "ride".
I think there's only 9 0r 10  4DX theaters in the whole country.3 in NY, 4 in So.Cal

dracsback

August 15th, 2018, 11:05 pm #11

MI:6 is excellent!  Lots of fun.
"I saw what I saw when I saw it!"