Mission Impossible Fallout (2018)

Dr Kelp

10:00 PM - Aug 09, 2018 #1

I seem to be one of the only ones who post new films in this correct category. Anyway, good fun, high action scenes and lots of them. I was troubled by the young kids sitting near me who were at most 8 years old. I wanted to say something to the father but I didn't have the self defense skills of Tom Cruise. Check your brain at the door, they should have lockers outside the theater for just that. I consider these movies sci-fi for the gadgets and this one had stolen nuclear bombs and a madman willing to bring down all governments by detonating these and polluting the river in Kashmir which supplies crops for  100's of million of people downstream. You'll figure out who the bad guy is very early on and the ending with trying to disarm the detonator is so ludicrous that's why I suggest the lockers.
Why not just toss it out the window off the helicopter , case closed. I know, please don't respond and tell me what might have happened if you did that. I'm not in for an argument, I just got thru with one on the Avengers Infinty Wars.  Again, a lot of fun. 

rvoyttbots

12:39 AM - Aug 10, 2018 #2

Give it another viewing, the detonator thing is explained in the plot.

Dr Kelp

12:44 AM - Aug 10, 2018 #3

rvoyttbots wrote: Give it another viewing, the detonator thing is explained in the plot.
Very convoluted explanation, but I got out of it that the detonator had to be activated to stop it  and you needed it in conjuction with cutting the wires to diffuse the bomb. I don't remember anything that was said where the bad guy  couldn't just get rid of it so it couldn't be stopped.

rvoyttbots

1:07 AM - Aug 10, 2018 #4

the-mission-impossible-movies-t70547.html

The M:I thread concerning the movies if you`re interested.

Robert Troch

8:17 PM - Aug 10, 2018 #5

Dr Kelp wrote:
rvoyttbots wrote: Give it another viewing, the detonator thing is explained in the plot.
Very convoluted explanation, but I got out of it that the detonator had to be activated to stop it  and you needed it in conjuction with cutting the wires to diffuse the bomb. I don't remember anything that was said where the bad guy  couldn't just get rid of it so it couldn't be stopped.
       It was pretty clear to me that Cavill (the bad guy) had no idea that the bomb could be stopped in any way. The other bad guy fighting Simon Pegg and the woman was completely confident it could not be stopped as well. Pegg (after much searching) figured it out when no one else had because it was supposed to be unstoppable once the countdown started. No confusion on that part at all.

R

Dr Kelp

9:18 PM - Aug 10, 2018 #6

Robert Troch wrote:
Dr Kelp wrote:
       It was pretty clear to me that Cavill (the bad guy) had no idea that the bomb could be stopped in any way. The other bad guy fighting Simon Pegg and the woman was completely confident it could not be stopped as well. Pegg (after much searching) figured it out when no one else had because it was supposed to be unstoppable once the countdown started. No confusion on that part at all.

R
then why bother  taking the timer with him at all if nothing could stop it anyway.

Robert Troch

2:09 AM - Aug 11, 2018 #7

Dr Kelp wrote:
Robert Troch wrote:
Dr Kelp wrote:

R
then why bother  taking the timer with him at all if nothing could stop it anyway.
I don't know...to keep track of when it went off? He started the countdown right before he got on the helicopter so why not bring it instead of tossing it on the ground? I probably would have brought it with me too

Robert T

taraco
Burgomaster
taraco
Burgomaster

9:02 PM - Aug 14, 2018 #8

Wow, MI: FALLOUT was incredibly entertaining on the big IMAX screen.

I had absolutely no idea about the convoluted who-was-who-when-and-why stuff. It was incomprehensible, though I sorta figured it out. Maybe. I think.

But the action was just superb, with lots of physical action. The car chases were a bit far-fetched (ya think?), but the ending was fabulous.  Really cleared my head for sure.  I'll watch Tom Cruise anytime, especially when running.

david

Rick

12:28 AM - Aug 15, 2018 #9

I enjoyed it a great deal, too. But, yes, some of it is incomprehensible, so just go with the flow.

I was reminded of an old joke. An American businessman in Switzerland runs into a watch shop to get his wristwatch repaired. He enters, talking very fast, "Hey, I need this fixed pronto, gotta catch a flight tomorrow morning. It's chromium, 17 jewel movement, been losing a couple of minutes every hour, can't have that, need to be on time, just fix it, whatever it takes, I'll be back first thing in the morning." And he's out the door. Behind the counter, the ancient little Swiss watchmaker looks up from his desk and says, "come in."

Early in FALLOUT, when we'd just gotten a long, confusing lecture on a bunch of details, I leaned over to my son and said, "come in."

But the movie is hugely entertaining, almost too much so. I think it could have shed an action sequence or two and still have been well worth the money. 

We saw it, without intending to, in 4DX. That's the thing where the seat moves around like crazy, wind blows, fog filters in, water blows in your face. I saw one of the new STAR TREK movies in that system, and while I kinda loved it, I hadn't intended to revisit the experience because it is hugely expensive, even by modern, NYC movie ticket price standards. But I didn't pay attention to the prices and, as a result, I'm now living on the streets. Well, not quite, but it was extraordinarily expensive.

But, while the whole rigamarole is totally unnecessary and even distracting, it's still kind of fun. During the helicopter chase, the seats flew and rocked and bounced so madly that I said to my son, "lawsuit!"

If you have a spare fortune and no spinal problems, I'd recommend everyone try this DX thing at least once. Probably at most once. It's pretty darn funny. And in this case, I loved the movie and the "ride".
“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
~ Douglas Adams, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

Dr Kelp

1:23 AM - Aug 15, 2018 #10

Rick wrote: I enjoyed it a great deal, too. But, yes, some of it is incomprehensible, so just go with the flow.

I was reminded of an old joke. An American businessman in Switzerland runs into a watch shop to get his wristwatch repaired. He enters, talking very fast, "Hey, I need this fixed pronto, gotta catch a flight tomorrow morning. It's chromium, 17 jewel movement, been losing a couple of minutes every hour, can't have that, need to be on time, just fix it, whatever it takes, I'll be back first thing in the morning." And he's out the door. Behind the counter, the ancient little Swiss watchmaker looks up from his desk and says, "come in."

Early in FALLOUT, when we'd just gotten a long, confusing lecture on a bunch of details, I leaned over to my son and said, "come in."

But the movie is hugely entertaining, almost too much so. I think it could have shed an action sequence or two and still have been well worth the money. 

We saw it, without intending to, in 4DX. That's the thing where the seat moves around like crazy, wind blows, fog filters in, water blows in your face. I saw one of the new STAR TREK movies in that system, and while I kinda loved it, I hadn't intended to revisit the experience because it is hugely expensive, even by modern, NYC movie ticket price standards. But I didn't pay attention to the prices and, as a result, I'm now living on the streets. Well, not quite, but it was extraordinarily expensive.

But, while the whole rigamarole is totally unnecessary and even distracting, it's still kind of fun. During the helicopter chase, the seats flew and rocked and bounced so madly that I said to my son, "lawsuit!"

If you have a spare fortune and no spinal problems, I'd recommend everyone try this DX thing at least once. Probably at most once. It's pretty darn funny. And in this case, I loved the movie and the "ride".
I think there's only 9 0r 10  4DX theaters in the whole country.3 in NY, 4 in So.Cal

dracsback

11:05 PM - Aug 15, 2018 #11

MI:6 is excellent!  Lots of fun.
"I saw what I saw when I saw it!"

Joe Stemme

10:01 PM - Sep 09, 2018 #12

For a 6th entry in a series, MI: FALLOUT is an efficient spy thriller. The series has long given up any notion of this being a true 'team' effort. Ethan Hunt is now a veritable Jason Bourne. Oh, he has partners (principally Ving Rhames and Simon Pegg), but they are very much sidekicks. This is Tom Cruise's show. From the moment that Ethan is assigned a new agent to work with, August Walker (a mustachioed Henry Cavill), we can sense that isn't a match made in spy heaven (one half-expects Cavill to twirl said 'stache).

Writer-Director Christopher McQuarrie takes a while setting up this episodes tale involving stolen Plutonium and the various interests out to get their hands on it (or, to profit from its exchange). The story hops from Berlin to Paris to London and beyond, but, each stop seems to take a bit too long to develop (and McQuarrie and his editors' decision to insist on setting up and showing every step of seemingly every gag slows the pace). Some of the acting is a bit lacking in energy at times (Cruise's face betrays his weariness in certain moments), and the jokes don't really hit. Of course, once the action kicks in, the stunt-work takes center stage. The MI series prides itself on using a minimum of CGI and a maximum of shots that 'prove' that it is indeed Cruise doing as much of the work as feasible (and that can take a toll on her performance as mentioned earlier). For the most part, FALLOUT adheres to those standards, although the finale veers firmly into fantasy action-land. There's also an emphasis on the characters that many a modern action film (and, it was largely shot on celluloid) pays too little attention to. A good example is that it takes the time to show the pain the violence can't help but cause in a scene with a French female cop. Rather than just slough her off as 'collateral damage', Ethan takes the time to apologize.

As with ROGUE NATION, the best thing in the current episode is Rebecca Ferguson as Ilsa Faust. It's not just that she can kick butt, but, her character has more gravitas than the typical action chick stereotype. Ferguson is also a fine actress who invests her role with more nuance than usually is allowed in such supporting roles. And, there's also a bit of surprise in the finale of the film with another character that helps bring a welcome sense of humanity to the over-wrought climax. FALLOUT is a solid entry, but, its starting to wear a bit thin. It may be time for a shake-up. Bring back the concept of a full team, perhaps. For now, it's a good popcorn flick.

7:50 PM - Sep 12, 2018 #13

Efficient actioner; a by-the-numbers thriller that succeeds in purely popcorn 'forgettable thrills' mode.

Accept it on that level and it will suffice.
'the horror..............THE HORROR!'

Cartoon-strip blog here [updated regularly]:

http://zoomertoonsrabsmith.blogspot.com/

gene phillips

8:48 PM - Sep 17, 2018 #14

Though the franchise has never concerned with emulating the teleseries-- which would be impossible anyway-- I appreciated FALLOUT for having the IMF work a few "stings" in the approved Bruce Gellar tradition.

I didn't try to worry too much about consistency, though one moment-- when the audience thinks that Villain X has been caught with his pants down, but he suddenly conjures up a pocket army-- did take me out of the film. But it didn't make me militant about looking for holes, so I enjoyed the thing better than any other MI film I've seen on the big screen (i.e., the first two).

Joe Stemme

9:40 PM - Sep 17, 2018 #15

gene phillips wrote: Though the franchise has never concerned with emulating the teleseries-- which would be impossible anyway-- I appreciated FALLOUT for having the IMF work a few "stings" in the approved Bruce Gellar tradition.
The first M.I. did use the 'team' concept even with Cruise the obvious star. It was only the later entries which took it more and more into solo spy territory

gene phillips

8:07 PM - Sep 18, 2018 #16

I didn't imply that FALLOUT was the only time the movie-franchise had used TV-style "stings," just that I liked the way the schtick was handled in FALLOUT.

Joe Stemme

11:31 PM - Sep 18, 2018 #17

gene phillips wrote: I didn't imply that FALLOUT was the only time the movie-franchise had used TV-style "stings," just that I liked the way the schtick was handled in FALLOUT.
I thought you were referring to my comment(s) about Team efforts