Michael B. Jordan Considered As Replacement For Henry Cavill As Superman

InnerSanctum

September 13th, 2018, 12:44 am #1

This is no doubt going to make fanboy heads explode.

https://www.ebony.com/entertainment-cul ... s-superman

Warner Bros. is reportedly considering Michael B. Jordan to play Superman following a report that Henry Cavill will no longer appear as the character in the DC film, Deadline reports.

Jordan is among a few actors being weighed for the iconic role, according to reports, and if chosen he would be the first Black person to portray Superman on film.

Contract talks between Cavill and Warner Bros. have reportedly stalled over a possible appearance in the upcoming DC movie Shazam! as the Man of Steel and a deal for Cavill’s Superman to appear in future DC Films has reportedly closed, says The Hollywood Reporter.

Cavill has portrayed Superman in 2013’s Man of Steel, 2016’s Batman vs. Superman and last year’s Justice League.

If Jordan dons the iconic red cape, it would be his third time appearing in a superhero film. He starred in the much-maligned reboot of Fantastic Four in 2015 and appeared in Marvel’s Black Panther earlier this year as Erik Killmonger.

Black Panther went on to gross $1.3 billion at the global box office and became the highest grossing superhero film in North America.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is the Inner Sanctum. A strange, fantastic world controlled by a mass of living, pulsating flesh - THE MIND. It destroys, distorts, creates monsters, commits murder! Yes, even YOU....without knowing.....can commit...MURDER.

amanaplan1

September 13th, 2018, 1:02 am #2

BS, I’m guessing.

Wich2

September 13th, 2018, 1:09 am #3

Too bad about Cavill. He only got part of one of the three films as the character to really play the character - and he was good!

September 13th, 2018, 10:20 am #4

'reportedly' = 'there is no evidence for this'

Stirring the online hornets' nest for clicks.

Dr Acula

September 13th, 2018, 12:01 pm #5

I think he could be good, as he was quite the villain in Black Panther, but he'll need to be clean shaven for the part - no 'stach for Kal-El!

blufeld

September 13th, 2018, 3:45 pm #6

Bond could be black.  I remember the early movies when at the end of the movie, it would say "James Bond will be black in GOLDFINGER" or whatever title you prefer.  But Superman?  I don't think so.  I've seen his origin story so many times, and Krypton seems to be a segregated world.

amanaplan1

September 13th, 2018, 3:54 pm #7

They’re both REAL.

taraco
Burgomaster
taraco
Burgomaster

September 13th, 2018, 4:08 pm #8

Cavill being out is somewhat disputed by Warner Bros., which issues a statement of support for him but said future plans for Superman are not yet set.

Froim CNN:

"While no decisions have been made regarding any upcoming Superman films, we've always had great respect for and a great relationship with Henry Cavill, and that remains unchanged." a Warner Bros representative said in a statement to CNN. (CNN, like Warner Bros., are both owned by Warner Media.)

Cavill's manager, Dany Garcia, gave a slightly more hopeful message via Twitter: "Be peaceful, the cape is still in his closet. @wbpictures has been and continues to be our partners as they evolve the DC Universe."

Crow T Robot

September 13th, 2018, 5:03 pm #9

InnerSanctum

September 13th, 2018, 5:08 pm #10

Not getting anything loading from that link.

This is the Inner Sanctum. A strange, fantastic world controlled by a mass of living, pulsating flesh - THE MIND. It destroys, distorts, creates monsters, commits murder! Yes, even YOU....without knowing.....can commit...MURDER.

Crow T Robot

September 13th, 2018, 5:25 pm #11

Weird.  When I saw your post I thought maybe I didn't copy the link correctly.  I click on it and it comes up for me.  

Essentially it says the stories are just BS.  Cavill DOES want to continue and Warner DOES want him.  right now there are no scripts for any new Superman films, and Cavill passed on a cameo in shazam because he wanted more than they were willing to pay him.  

Godziwolf

September 13th, 2018, 6:38 pm #12

InnerSanctum wrote: This is no doubt going to make fanboy heads explode.

Warner Bros. is reportedly considering Michael B. Jordan to play Superman following a report that Henry Cavill will no longer appear as the character in the DC film, Deadline reports.
I see WB learned nothing from their experience and Fox's versus Marvel's, and whether or not fans want things to be faithful to the comic.
InnerSanctum wrote:If Jordan dons the iconic red cape, it would be his third time appearing in a superhero film. He starred in the much-maligned reboot of Fantastic Four in 2015 and appeared in Marvel’s Black Panther earlier this year as Erik Killmonger.
I see Jordan failed to learn the same lesson.
Incidentally, didn't Shaq play a Superman?

September 13th, 2018, 6:54 pm #13

TMZ nailed it.

blufeld

September 13th, 2018, 7:14 pm #14

Godziwolf wrote:
InnerSanctum wrote: This is no doubt going to make fanboy heads explode.

I see WB learned nothing from their experience and Fox's versus Marvel's, and whether or not fans want things to be faithful to the comic.
InnerSanctum wrote:If Jordan dons the iconic red cape, it would be his third time appearing in a superhero film. He starred in the much-maligned reboot of Fantastic Four in 2015 and appeared in Marvel’s Black Panther earlier this year as Erik Killmonger.
I see Jordan failed to learn the same lesson.
Incidentally, didn't Shaq play a Superman?
Yeah, his character in STEEL was based on one of the Supermen when the real one died-early 90s?  But the movie left that stuff out.

taraco
Burgomaster
taraco
Burgomaster

September 13th, 2018, 7:35 pm #15

Cavill posted this cryptic video on Instagram:

Robert Troch

September 13th, 2018, 8:37 pm #16

Jordan is a good actor and all but I am tired of people falling over themselves saying how great he is. So we are supposed to buy that DC NOW wants those Black Panther $'s and instead of giving us a kick ass, well written and directed John Stewart movie (which would probably do a boatload if done right), it's this guy playing Superman? Sure....I'll buy that for a dollar. I ain't buying any of this clickbait crap. 
   In other news though it seems Marvel in 2018 alone, with only 3 films, has just crossed the 4 billion dollar mark. In the meantime DC can't even get out of their own way. It's frustrating to watch many of my favorite characters go down the drain because of....incompetence. Its the only word I could come up with. Yes its more complicated than that but boil it all down to it's essence and it sure seems that way. 

Robert T.

blackbiped

September 13th, 2018, 9:18 pm #17

This sort of thing is just racial trolling.  Superman's a white character, and so is James Bond for that matter, but if you dare to mention that nowadays it means you're a terrible "racist" or whatever.
Legend, oh legend, the third wheel legend...always in the way.

Porfle's Secret Blog: http://porfle.blogspot.com/
HK and Cult Film News: http://hkfilmnews.blogspot.com/
My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/porfle

InnerSanctum

September 13th, 2018, 10:13 pm #18

blackbiped wrote:This sort of thing is just racial trolling.  Superman's a white character, and so is James Bond for that matter, but if you dare to mention that nowadays it means you're a terrible "racist" or whatever.

Both characters have traditionally been white, sure, but stating that fact is hardly racist in any real, meaningful sense. Where racism comes in is how various white people tend to express themselves in regards to this sort of issue. There’s a right way and a wrong way to go about discussing it, and unfortunately some white folks go about it the wrong way.

blackbiped

September 13th, 2018, 10:19 pm #19

I think a lot of people willfully interpret it the wrong way too, just because it makes them feel better about themselves to accuse someone else of being a lesser person than they are.  The "right" way of discussing something like this seems to get narrower every day.  Especially if one considers it to be a basically silly subject to begin with.
Legend, oh legend, the third wheel legend...always in the way.

Porfle's Secret Blog: http://porfle.blogspot.com/
HK and Cult Film News: http://hkfilmnews.blogspot.com/
My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/porfle

InnerSanctum

September 13th, 2018, 11:01 pm #20

I’ll admit, even if this story about Jordan being considered for the role ends up being completely fictional (admittedly it DID seem to come out of left field, in my eyes), it’s an interesting idea if nothing else. I’m not upset at the idea of a Black Superman, or a Black Bond, at least generally speaking. Both characters are fictional, and most authors understand how being creatively flexible can make a character or story more interesting. That said, given the huge iconic nature of these specific characters, I’m not sure that playing around with their identity will really work, at least at this point in time. Many people, from all ethnic and racial perspectives, have stated that creating wholly new characters of color is actually preferable, and generally more easily acceptable, than reinventing existing characters. Once in a while it works (Nick Fury, for example, or Felix Leiter and Moneypenny in the Bond Universe), but for major characters, and certainly ones known worldwide as having certain specific images and qualities, changing a character in such a fundamental manner can be overdoing it a bit, and popular resistance and blowback is inevitable.

Hopefully this particular case is just some overzealous publicist’s flight of fancy, and Jordan hasn’t even so much as received a call from anyone at Warner Bros.