TomWeaver999

August 13th, 2015, 3:02 am #221

thehorrorboy

August 13th, 2015, 9:30 pm #222

Bill Warren wrote:
Strictly speaking, this movie wasn't reissued in 1979; there were a few scattered screenings with the opening and closing deleted, but of course, McCarthy still occasionally narrates.
I saw one, at the Walnut Street Theater.

Dick
Dick

August 17th, 2015, 4:35 am #223

TomWeaver999 wrote:

<< There simply is no way to even sort of approximate the original cut of the film based on what's available. There's Miles' narration, for one thing--originally, there was no narration. <<

Well, that could be covered over with the same music that's there -- somebody might have re-recorded it by now, or the original recordings might still exist. It'd be an interesting experiment, getting the movie a lot closer to the way the filmmakers intended, as an extra.
A response to a post that's only 9 years old...

I actually spent a day or two in an attempt to make a DVD copy from a laser disc that would come close to replicating the director's intended release, but I couldn't very well overdub the McCarthy narration with the original score or whatever, so I just chopped it out. Many of the cuts were pretty smooth, but others were awkward. I was able to eliminate the hospital stuff that bookended the film, and I did a wonderful cut from the "You're next!" climactic sequence to a black screen and then "The End." That was from a SuperScope (2.00:1) Image laser.

Ideally, we could get a Blu-ray of this in both the 1.33:1 and 2.00 ratios, sans bookend hospital scenes and all narration. Damn, I'd seriously pay for that!

P.S. As an aside, Dana (pronounced however) was a truly hot lady in this film.
Last edited by Dick on August 17th, 2015, 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

hermanthegerm

June 3rd, 2016, 9:00 pm #224

Village of the Damned (The Midwich Cuckoos) is very clear as to its inspiration (cuckoos), Body Snatchers not so much.

We generally view this story as Science Fiction, since this is how it was originally published, but it doesn't seem to me as if the connection to changelings, stocks or fetches is made when discussing this film. 
Yeah, Communism, McCarthyism and all of that, but fairies, elves & changelings, which are probably the true inspiration, predate all of the political or "modern",  urban or depersonalization readings of the film.

The connection to vegetables/wood is a fairly well accepted and recognized thing they both have in common, it's pods in Body Snatchers... So why do we so often ignore it?
"There is a lot of money tied up in this film and people expect to hear a boom when something blows up, so I'll give them a boom."

George Lucas as quoted by Harlan Ellison's WATCHING

Rakshasa

June 21st, 2016, 8:11 pm #225

There actually IS now a business called Podley's in the very square where the key street scenes of INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS were filmed. 

The Podley's sign is even green, like the seed pods!

The kicker? The people working in the Realtor's office have never even heard of  INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS. All they know is their boss is (wait for it)...Mr. Podley! At least...that's what they SAY!

Last edited by Rakshasa on June 21st, 2016, 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey, how much for the Buick?

Rakshasa

July 6th, 2016, 3:52 am #226

You see, the place is called PODleys, and the film involved alien PODS.

Hello? Is this thing on? 
Hey, how much for the Buick?

dr gogol

July 11th, 2016, 5:53 pm #227

Awesome pix Rak! The wife and I have been meaning to get out to Sierra Madre to make total nerds of ourselves for a while! We just recently went up to the Bronson Caves, had lunch at Beachwood Dr. and ran up the stairs that Miles and Becky ran up to escape the pod people. I was exhausted and, had it been me, I would have given up and gone to sleep!

January 20th, 2018, 1:23 pm #228

invasion of the body s  1956.jpg

Paul Haight

March 18th, 2018, 3:38 am #229

550723-iotbs-aa.jpg

kcor
kcor

September 8th, 2018, 10:24 pm #230

This may be one of the several images no longer showing up in the thread, but I had never seen this before. (I'd seen women's breasts before, just not this poster art).

Invasion.jpg

Rick

September 8th, 2018, 10:26 pm #231

(I'd seen women's breasts before, just not this poster art).
Hey, what a coincidence! Just the opposite with me!
“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
~ Douglas Adams, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

thehorrorboy

September 14th, 2018, 11:25 am #232

Paul Haight wrote: 550723-iotbs-aa.jpg
Now those guys look like pods!

thehorrorboy

September 14th, 2018, 11:27 am #233

TomWeaver999 wrote: The score's on CD:

http://www.lalalandrecords.com/
Sorry, but I never really liked the score. Thought it was too heavy, too overdone, too melodramatic. The opening titles, for example.