I was afraid to chew my popcorn in A QUIET PLACE (2018)...

Discuss recent releases here,
Jameselliot
Member
Joined: June 23rd, 2012, 11:09 pm

April 10th, 2018, 1:41 am #21

So if someone loudly passes wind, they're done for.
Reply
Like
Share

blufeld
Member
Joined: March 21st, 2017, 4:34 pm

April 10th, 2018, 2:15 pm #22

Three days later and I still can't get rid of A SUMMER PLACE.
Reply
Like
Share

Colossus Rex
Member
Joined: October 29th, 2005, 11:10 pm

April 11th, 2018, 5:25 am #23

I thought this was great. I probably jumped in my seat more than I have at any other film. That doesn't mean it's the most frightening film, it's more of a function of how eerily quiet so much of the film is.

It did remind me of SIGNS, and like SIGNS it's a great thrill ride that's vulnerable to being picked apart logic-wise. Fair enough.

But A QUIET PLACE is original enough and effective enough to be a treat that most horror fans shouldn't miss.

(I'm eager to ask the folks here some spoilery questions about the ending, which I didn't totally understand. But it's clearly too early for that and I'd hate to spoil the film for anyone.)
Reply
Like
Share

dracsback
Member
Joined: December 13th, 2008, 9:52 pm

April 11th, 2018, 10:45 pm #24

Saw this today - and yes there are a couple of logic questions I had at first but then after the Grain Silo incident I understood.

Regarding the ending - I got it.  But it raises some more "logic" questions for me.  Enjoyed the movie. The sound design of this movie is really good.  
"I saw what I saw when I saw it!"
Reply
Like
Share

Wolfman Joe
Member
Joined: February 10th, 2005, 5:17 am

April 12th, 2018, 3:35 pm #25

Jameselliot wrote: So if someone loudly passes wind, they're done for.
That would be me.
Re: the comparisons to IT COMES AT NIGHT: when I first started seeing ads for this movie, I thought it was IT COMES AT NIGHT. I bet you could mash-up the trailers & not know where one ends & the other begins. 
I haven't seen either one yet, so I am not pre-judging the quality of either movie. 
Reply
Like
Share

Robert Troch
Member
Joined: October 8th, 2007, 4:20 pm

April 15th, 2018, 7:31 pm #26

It was pretty good. Liked the last shot a lot. Premise was interesting, and refreshing. Most original "scary" film since probably the Witch.


 SPOILERS*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************









There are gaps that bugged me especially since we had no idea how the whole situation came about. I wondered why, if the creatures are so distinctly sound based, that science/military didn't figure something out and attack them that way. NOT knowing what happened is a 2 edged sword from a story telling POV. One can just say to oneself, "well who knows maybe it happened so fast there was no time OR one can just say  "Why didn't they set a tremendous amount of explosives in pits somewhere and lure thousands of creatures there and blow em away or use a sonic attack?" 

     Robert T.
Reply
Like
Share

dracsback
Member
Joined: December 13th, 2008, 9:52 pm

April 15th, 2018, 10:01 pm #27

Robert -  Yes to me that was the major plot hole.  Still enjoyable but clearly makes you go "hhmmmmm.....".
"I saw what I saw when I saw it!"
Reply
Like
Share

hermanthegerm
Member
Joined: December 1st, 2005, 8:05 am

April 15th, 2018, 10:29 pm #28

Robert Troch wrote: It was pretty good. Liked the last shot a lot. Premise was interesting, and refreshing. Most original "scary" film since probably the Witch.


 SPOILERS*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************









There are gaps that bugged me....
Read my Fantomas comic comment above...
"There is a lot of money tied up in this film and people expect to hear a boom when something blows up, so I'll give them a boom."

George Lucas as quoted by Harlan Ellison's WATCHING
Reply
Like
Share

Joined: September 11th, 2008, 4:18 pm

April 16th, 2018, 5:12 pm #29

Yes, my first thought about 20 minutes in was why haven't they just used sound to lure these things into a fatal trap? If you can ignore that, it's not a bad little creature feature.
MacXoftheMounted.....................formerly known as Professor Von X
Reply
Like
Share

dracsback
Member
Joined: December 13th, 2008, 9:52 pm

April 16th, 2018, 9:55 pm #30

MacXoftheMounted wrote: Yes, my first thought about 20 minutes in was why haven't they just used sound to lure these things into a fatal trap? If you can ignore that, it's not a bad little creature feature.
Exactly!  The movie opens up on DAY 89.  Which implies that a lot has gone down during those 89 days and that they these creatures for whatever reason are tough to defeat and are attacked to sound.    Made me wonder what exactly did they try?  Anyway, forget this, and ENJOY the movie.
"I saw what I saw when I saw it!"
Reply
Like
Share

hermanthegerm
Member
Joined: December 1st, 2005, 8:05 am

April 17th, 2018, 2:57 am #31

dracsback wrote:
MacXoftheMounted wrote: Yes, my first thought about 20 minutes in was why haven't they just used sound to lure these things into a fatal trap? If you can ignore that, it's not a bad little creature feature.
Exactly!  The movie opens up on DAY 89.  Which implies that a lot has gone down during those 89 days and that they these creatures for whatever reason are tough to defeat and are attacked to sound.    Made me wonder what exactly did they try?  Anyway, forget this, and ENJOY the movie.
The writers imply that the monsters' ability is only a strength and not a weakness (or at least not an easily found out weakness.) 

Tell that to a hungover Julius Kelp.

Defeating Triffids with water, or Star Trek aliens with Rock, or these sound sensitive guys is lazy and unworthy of the extensive body of genre work in both Horror and Science Fiction.
Basically, tells me the writers have only a superficial knowledge of the genre, or that they are targeting people who have the same level of genre ignorance as they. 

Not to say that I cannot enjoy Day of the Triffids (1951), but I necessarily must view it as celluloid cheese.
"There is a lot of money tied up in this film and people expect to hear a boom when something blows up, so I'll give them a boom."

George Lucas as quoted by Harlan Ellison's WATCHING
Reply
Like
Share

amanaplan1
Member
Joined: February 9th, 2013, 2:18 am

April 17th, 2018, 11:03 am #32

What about sea water defeating The Andromeda Strain?
Reply
Like
Share

hermanthegerm
Member
Joined: December 1st, 2005, 8:05 am

April 17th, 2018, 3:57 pm #33

amanaplan1 wrote: What about sea water defeating The Andromeda Strain?
That too, that is why Andromeda is an anti-Science Fiction movie. But Crichton is doing it purposely, and not out of ignorance. 
I mentioned that in my review The Crazies, and got some flak.
You can't win them all.
"There is a lot of money tied up in this film and people expect to hear a boom when something blows up, so I'll give them a boom."

George Lucas as quoted by Harlan Ellison's WATCHING
Reply
Like
Share

Bluesman Mark
Member
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 3:59 am

April 17th, 2018, 4:37 pm #34

Any movie with a plot is going to have at least one plot hole, no matter how small.

That's not to denigrate anyone's feelings nor opinions good or bad about A QUIET PLACE, just an observation.

My biggest beef with the movie is Evelyn's pregnancy, as she was obviously impregnated after the invasion.

Hello, hello? Bueller? Did they not stop to think of the ramifications of A-Her making noise giving birth? B-A noisy crying newborn? C-Bringing a new life into such a world? Or what about the noises often made during sex?

I mean there was the abandoned drug store they went to. Surely they had condoms there? What made them think her getting pregnant was a good idea?

BTW, I am not being facetious. As much as I did enjoy the movie, that plot point bugged the hell outta me. As much as it may have helped to ratchet up the tension & drama, at the same time it was painfully obvious. Still, it wasn't enough to take me out of the movie, but it seemed somewhat ridiculous given their situation. 
Reply
Like
Share

Joined: September 11th, 2008, 4:18 pm

April 17th, 2018, 4:43 pm #35

That was the wife's biggest peeve.
MacXoftheMounted.....................formerly known as Professor Von X
Reply
Like
Share

hermanthegerm
Member
Joined: December 1st, 2005, 8:05 am

April 17th, 2018, 7:44 pm #36

Bluesman Mark wrote: Any movie with a plot is going to have at least one plot hole, no matter how small.

That's not to denigrate anyone's feelings nor opinions good or bad about A QUIET PLACE, just an observation.

My biggest beef with the movie is Evelyn's pregnancy, as she was obviously impregnated after the invasion.

Hello, hello? Bueller? Did they not stop to think of the ramifications of A-Her making noise giving birth? B-A noisy crying newborn? C-Bringing a new life into such a world? Or what about the noises often made during sex?

I mean there was the abandoned drug store they went to. Surely they had condoms there? What made them think her getting pregnant was a good idea?

BTW, I am not being facetious. As much as I did enjoy the movie, that plot point bugged the hell outta me. As much as it may have helped to ratchet up the tension & drama, at the same time it was painfully obvious. Still, it wasn't enough to take me out of the movie, but it seemed somewhat ridiculous given their situation. 
I think that is the reason the incident with the first child was written in. There was a void that needed to be filled in. Life must go on after all. But then, that is why the specifics of the farm are bothersome. If they knew the farm was deficient, and they had an answer that they knew worked, why did not they go with it? And, it's not even a matter of having to build a home. There are lots of prefab options, tents and such, which, yes, are inconvenient or uncomfortable, but safe. Safer than houses.
"There is a lot of money tied up in this film and people expect to hear a boom when something blows up, so I'll give them a boom."

George Lucas as quoted by Harlan Ellison's WATCHING
Reply
Like
Share

Joe Stemme
Member
Joined: July 16th, 2013, 6:38 pm

April 18th, 2018, 3:31 pm #37

The 'baby' thing was a deal breaker as far as the movie being anything approaching greatness. I understand the 'life goes on' theory, but, if Krasinski and the writers felt they needed that element to ratchet up the suspense, they could have gotten around the credibility issue by having the family find someone else's baby (like they came across the old man).

But, an even more fundamental implausablility was the portrayal of the creatures. A race that was able to virtually wipe out mankind would have much heightened ALL of their other senses if vision was their weak spot. Further, the idea that after a full year, said creatures wouldn't have figured out that there was a nexus of activity in that house strains credulity to the point where the filmmakers are just saying to the audience, 'Hey, we haven't figured this all out -- please just go with it and turn off your brains"
Reply
Like
Share

hermanthegerm
Member
Joined: December 1st, 2005, 8:05 am

April 18th, 2018, 3:34 pm #38

'Hey, we haven't figured this all out -- please just go with it and turn off your brains"
Random raccoon behavior is bothersome to them, but the routines of a settled farm household are not (or, haven't been in a year.)
I'm with you.

I've been with you all this whole time.
"There is a lot of money tied up in this film and people expect to hear a boom when something blows up, so I'll give them a boom."

George Lucas as quoted by Harlan Ellison's WATCHING
Reply
Like
Share

Xmas Ghost
Member
Joined: January 31st, 2012, 3:51 pm

April 18th, 2018, 10:15 pm #39

I enjoyed it! An entertaining, unpretentious monster movie. Nothing more. 
Reply
Like
Share