How good is DARK SHADOWS?

From Twilight Zone to Thrones, shocks on the small screen.
bigcatrik

July 11th, 2018, 2:43 pm #521

thehorrorboy wrote:
July 11th, 2018, 11:59 am
Yes, but Lee never had to recite spells, or incantations, or whatever they were with a fly hovering around his face as Lacy did in one episode.
Ah, the Collinsport Fly, present at several inopportune moments throughout the run of the show. It has its own entry on the Dark Shadows Wiki with more than 20 appearances.
https://darkshadows.wikia.com/wiki/Collinsport_Fly

thehorrorboy

July 11th, 2018, 9:02 pm #522

Does it get residuals?  At least, unlike the highly paid Jonathan Frid, the fly never forgot its lines!

bigcatrik

July 11th, 2018, 9:54 pm #523

thehorrorboy wrote:
July 11th, 2018, 9:02 pm
Does it get residuals?  At least, unlike the highly paid Jonathan Frid, the fly never forgot its lines!
Unfortunately, no. And the PATSY Awards were notoriously anti-insect and anti-horror so it was never recognized that way either.

thehorrorboy

July 11th, 2018, 11:19 pm #524

Discrimination is a terrible thing.

bigcatrik

July 11th, 2018, 11:28 pm #525

Isn't it amazing that with all the horror stories they borrowed from elsewhere nobody said, "Hey, let's do THE FLY!"

Rodster

July 12th, 2018, 2:16 am #526

bigcatrik wrote: Isn't it amazing that with all the horror stories they borrowed from elsewhere nobody said, "Hey, let's do THE FLY!"
The stories used for "inspiration" on Dark Shadows were usually gothic-flavored, and the Fly would be decidedly more science fictiony. The closest they got to zapping electrical equipment was the creation of Adam and Eve, and that was taken from Frankenstein. The one original story--or at least, not stolen from a piece of literature--was the phoenix (Laura Collins) story arc. I really enjoyed that, and it was helped by the truly enigmatic performance of Diana Millay as Laura (this was pre-Barnabas, though Laura returned in the 1897 flashback). 

Crow T Robot

July 12th, 2018, 3:34 am #527

Some of those early B&W stories were pretty creepy.  I actually started watching the show with the "Phoenix" storyline, and really enjoyed it.  And I especially liked the whole "What's hidden in the basement room" story, which felt like and old murder mystery film.

I liked when they switched to color, but it felt less mysterious and creepy.  

Omega Man

July 12th, 2018, 1:31 pm #528

Yay! Kathryn Leigh Scott is back!
It's been a long dry spell since "Rachel Drummond" was shot & killed, but the delightful Ms. Scott has finally returned as "Kitty Soames"... and unlike her previous goody-two-shoes characters, this one seems to be a scheming gold-digger. (Ma'am, you could dig my gold anytime...)

Naturally Barnabas is entranced, because she looks just like his long-lost Josette... But how come nobody mentions that she looks exactly like Rachel Drummond, too?
"Damn it, it's jammed!"

will

July 12th, 2018, 2:03 pm #529

I had this teacher in high school I thought looked like Lara Parker. She was brunette and not as pretty, but attractive. I never mentioned it.

Grant
Grant

July 12th, 2018, 9:08 pm #530

Omega Man wrote: Yay! Kathryn Leigh Scott is back!
It's been a long dry spell since "Rachel Drummond" was shot & killed, but the delightful Ms. Scott has finally returned as "Kitty Soames"... and unlike her previous goody-two-shoes characters, this one seems to be a scheming gold-digger. (Ma'am, you could dig my gold anytime...)

Naturally Barnabas is entranced, because she looks just like his long-lost Josette... But how come nobody mentions that she looks exactly like Rachel Drummond, too?
It's interesting to see Scott's very first episodes, because Maggie not only looks different, but she's a suspicious, wise-cracking character, whom the story sets up to be Vicky's Eve Arden type best friend (as the guidebook puts it). But of course, they changed all that very quickly.

will

July 12th, 2018, 10:16 pm #531

All those daytime serials the writers were flying on their pants.

Helrunar

July 13th, 2018, 8:13 pm #532

For folks who are interested in the writing process on DS, this interview with Ron Sproat, tape recorded by a fan at a convention in 1983, is fascinating:

Ron went on to write for STRANGE PARADISE, the "Canadian Dark Shadows," in late 1969, staying on that series till sometime around April of 1970. I'm one of the few who really enjoys STRANGE PARADISE. The final 9 weeks, when all scripts were credited to Harding Lemay (who went on to win Emmy awards writing ANOTHER WORLD) made for very bizarre, ultra low budget television.

This "Manhattan Shadows Technical Panel" from the same year was emceed by a rather nervous, but very chatty Jonathan Frid, and in some ways is even more fascinating:

Both of these need to be listened to with good headphones because the source recording seem to have been from a small tape recorder so the quality isn't good.

H.

Omega Man

Yesterday, 7:39 am #533

You say Puh-TOE-fee, I say Puh-TOFF-ee...
Regardless of the proper pronunciation of the evil Count Petofi's name, Thayer David pretty much becomes the main player in DS once that character is introduced (and especially when Barnabas Collins takes a prolonged leave of absence). For a long stretch he's prominently featured in every episode. A fun villain, Petofi -- with his various & sundry dark powers -- would make a worthy adversary for the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Too much of a tightwad, though... His schemes might have met with more success if he'd simply hired two or three extra goons to provide security. (He could've also bothered to lock the front door.)

The Collinsport Fly's biggest role?
In episode 852 (I think), the winged cameo artist has his most sizable role to date... At the end of the episode, when Kitty wakes up from a nightmare, the fly lands on her face, then on her hand (in closeup) as she reaches for a book, then lands on her face again and crawls up the length of her nose.
"Damn it, it's jammed!"

thehorrorboy

Yesterday, 9:50 pm #534

Maybe it was a pilot to see if the fly could carry its own series!

will

Yesterday, 11:31 pm #535

They could have worked the fly into a story. "It is trying to take control...possess me. Must resist!"

Rodster

Yesterday, 11:32 pm #536

will wrote: They could have worked the fly into a story.  "It is trying to take control...possess me.  Must resist!"
I especially liked it when the fly was attracted to the actor's mouth! 

amanaplan1

Today, 12:54 am #537

thehorrorboy wrote: Maybe it was a pilot to see if the fly could carry its own series!
Despite industry buzz, it didn't fly.

Wich2

Today, 1:31 am #538

True, it never really took wing... just not enough eyes on it, I guess?